1. HLK
    Im considering purchasing a USB Bluetooth adapter for my PC to Hot Sync with my 650. Can anyone help me out w/ the pros / cons vs. a standard USB cable? Sync issues / speed / compatibility etc....

Any and all information would be appreciated!
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    If you haven't already, do a search as I'm certain this has been covered. The general concensus is that it's much slower than using a USB cable.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    in my case, bluetooth is substantially slower than usb, especially when moving images and mp3s.

however, when i go in to my office, i plan on being there for a few minutes and prefer the wireless connection of bluetooth.

if speed is your concern, for whatever reason, stick with the wired.
    if convenience & cool factor matters... wireless.
    iBug
    mac osx user new beetle pilot powerbook operator smartphone communicator

----------
    vzw.kyo6035 > vzw.kyo7135 > vzw.treo600 > sprint.treo650
    I'm thinkin' of it just to keep the clutter of wires down. Lots of wires around the desk :-[
    dailyOFFTOPIC.com
    The cure for boredom. Talk anything.
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Bluetooth hotsync is

S

L

O

W
    Quote Originally Posted by Un4given
    I'm thinkin' of it just to keep the clutter of wires down. Lots of wires around the desk :-[
    perfect for that.
    mine usually takes about 2-3 minutes to fully sync via bluetooth and run a backup via backupman.

whenever i go into my office, i'm usually there for at least 5 minutes, so that is fine.
    iBug

----------
    Used bluetooth for a while to hotsync until I bought the sedio retractable sync&rharge. Since I don't have a wireless way to charge, I figure this lets me do both while still keeping the clutter down.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

8. ayn
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    pros of BT:
    no wires

cons:
    consumes quite a bit of battery
    SLOW (forget about syncing media content with this)
    Doesn't work well in Windows, have to reset BT device (by turning it off and then back on), works quite well with my Mac though
    can't use my laptop BT device for other things like Skype with BT headset during BT sync, which takes a long time if I got pictures or videos
    Another benefit of Bluetooth: That wonky connector on the bottom which WILL go out at some point in your life gets less wear and tear. But I agree, its at least 2x longer and sometimes 3x longer to sync with the Bluetooth.
    Is syncing via Bluetooth slow because of the version of BT the 650 is using or is it just slow?
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    Is syncing via Bluetooth slow because of the version of BT the 650 is using or is it just slow?
    it is my understanding that bluetooth, as a technology, is just slower.
    someone may correct me, but i think that is it.
    i don't believe it was originally developed with transerring huge amounts of data and files. i think it was originally sorta a "pan" for functionality.
    iBug

----------