1.    #1  
    Okay, first-- my searches came up empty (or confusing) but I'm sure this has been asked in some way before-- so I apologize in advance for not finding it.

So, I'm a whole 24 hours with my Treo 650 and it's been exciting and daunting all at the same time. I've just switched from the Dark Side (was a pocket pc user previously) and have tons of questions. But I'll start with ONE.

So, my buddy says, "You gotta get Pocket Tunes." He said it-- well, I have to have it. Actually installed it already. He added, "it plays wmas too!" He said this with excitement-- it meant virtually nothing to me. Anyway...

I assume that wmas are smaller than mp3s? Is this why it was so exciting to him? Problem is all my audio has been ripped as mp3s. I loaded an album on my phone-- sounds great. But should I be trying to convert my mp3s to wmas? And, if so, what utility can I use to accomplish this?

Lastly, yes I'm sticking a second question in here (sorry I lied), I just realized that my standard headset for my mp3 player doesn't "fit" into the jack for the Treo. Any suggestions on a decent headset (not too costly) that will work?

Thanks, DocS
    Here's a great adapter...

http://store.treocentral.com/content...12-45--337.htm

WMA (windows media audio) is a different digital audio format used by (you guessed it) Windows media player. How digital audio is managed is a personal pref. Ptunes supports WMA, oggvorbis, mp3 and wav.

Hope that helps...it's not a lot of info and I'm a little tipsy
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    if you want to convert, you can do it with DBPowerAmp. I'm not sure why you'd want to though.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    MP3 and WMA are just two different kinds of formats and both generally accepted. However, MP3s are the most popular and I can't say I know of any player that won't play an MP3, however there are many that won't play WMAs or WMVs (Windows Media Video). So if I were you, I'd stick with the MP3 format. No need to convert.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
  5.    #5  
    thanks for the replies.

i uploaded my music and now I realize-- i should have bought the 2 gig card
    It only makes sense to rip audio from the original wav. If you try to convert from one codec to aontoher like mp3>wma etc, then there will be loss...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I prefer mp3's but I use wma's for convenience. I put mp3's on my device at home (old PC). When i get to work, I tranfer them to my work PC using palm file borwser (download it, it is very useful for tranferring files). I then delete the mp3's from my Palm. Then I sync the mp3's using Windows Media Player at a lower bitrate (saves a lot of memory on my SD card).
    One of the nice things about using Windows Media player to move your music over to your palm is that it can make these translations for you. I set it to downsample to 64 kbps wma. I never have to worry about reformatting anything into WMA. I just tell windows media which songs i want and it converts and copies them for me. Pretty cool.