Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    I am glad to report to other Verizon Wireless Treo 650 owners that I believe that I may have reached stability (knock on wood.) For this week I have not experienced any perpetual reboot and only single individual instances of soft reboots which may or may not have had to do with an SD card insertion. I have had my Treo 650 for roughly 2 weeks. The first week was a challenge and I cannot explain why I had several reboots. I have changed my SD card from a cheap Kingston 512 MB to a 2GB Sandisk Ultra II, which is faster and has performed flawlessly. Here is my app list (latest versions from developers as of July 10, 2005) for your convenience:

Backup Programs installed on Card ONLY:
    Backup Man
    BackupBuddyVFS
    Resco Explorer

Internal:
    Agendus 9 Standard (not Pro with Email that crashes)
    Audacity pro
    BatteryDr
    BDicty
    Butler
    Cleanup
    Documents To Go
    Resco Explorer
    Hebrew Lite
    KeyCaps600 (650 version)
    Luach
    Mapopolis
    Marbles2
    PiLoc Hebrew
    QSet
    RescoView
    SlovoEd Dictionary
    Smartlist To Go
    SnapperMail
    SplashID
    SplashMoney
    SyncAll
    TCPMP
    TealDoc
    TubeNYC
    Uninstall
    VeriChat
    VolumeCare
    Wordsmith
    X-Man

I will likely get rid of 2 or three apps to create more space. I have 4.7 MB of free space. Interestingly, since removing MMPlayer and Pocket Tunes (and using TCPMP and built in RealPlayer) I have found more stability. Hope this helps someone else.
    Issue isn't p-tunes. That is the most stable app I have ever used. With MMPlayer I have had issues.
    I'm picking up my Treo 650 from VZW on Sunday. Where are people downloading all of these apps from?
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ
    Issue isn't p-tunes. That is the most stable app I have ever used. With MMPlayer I have had issues.
    Probably not. But given the meager 32MB of RAM I had to cut corners somewhere and realplayer in the ROM works, although I miss the precision and EQ from ptunes. MMplayer on the other hand, was a crash zone.
    Do these units offer better memory management than the Cingular ones? I am asking because Verizon just released them so maybe the memory was fixed??

I bought my Cingular 650 6 months ago btw.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    verizon treos didn't have some of the first batch memory problems. I don't think they're any better or worse than the latest patch of sprint or cingulair
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulum
    I'm picking up my Treo 650 from VZW on Sunday. Where are people downloading all of these apps from?
    from app downloading places
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulum
    Palmgear for one. People here will be more than willing to answer questions, but if you are new to Palm or Treos, I would suggest that you just spend some time reading these forums and of course, the manual that comes with your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2
    Do these units offer better memory management than the Cingular ones? I am asking because Verizon just released them so maybe the memory was fixed??
    I have the Verizon Treo 650 and have no memory issues. The Palm (formerly a lot of names...) website says no patch is needed for the Verizon Treo 650.

Cingular is definitely due for a patch, so hang in there... easy for me to say.
    Why can't you be a nonconformist like everybody else?
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MUGlover
    I have the Verizon Treo 650 and have no memory issues. The Palm (formerly a lot of names...) website says no patch is needed for the Verizon Treo 650.

Cingular is definitely due for a patch, so hang in there... easy for me to say.
    Palm provided the VFS patch to the first Sprint phones and Verizon's came with it already installed, from my understanding. I'd be very surprised if this wasn't already included in the Cingular Treos or the patch available for download. fkj2, what do you mean by "memory issues?"
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Palm provided the VFS patch to the first Sprint phones and Verizon's came with it already installed, from my understanding. I'd be very surprised if this wasn't already included in the Cingular Treos or the patch available for download. fkj2, what do you mean by "memory issues?"

Hi, thanks for the replies on this....what I mean is the memory hog issue....I thought palm was working for a fix for a better "memory management" solution. I don't want to install the patches going around the web, (I know these get you more memory after its installed) I'd rather wait for Cingular to release an update patch first. I originally wondered if the Verizon 650's were better with memory - I mean have more memory after installing apps.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Fred -- No problem. I don't know what the Cingular and Sprint phones total usable RAM is but I'm guessing that they should be similar. My Verizon Treo 650 reports a capacity of 22.4MB available for user use. I believe that my applications probably add up to the 17.8 MB of storage that I am using. With the old VFS system 10 MB of applications might appear as 17MB when copied to the Treo. Palm released the Treo 650 on the Sprint network despite this glaring inefficiency and provided small but free SD cards while it dealt with the problem.