Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    When it comes to cases, everyone has their preference. I personally hate the belt clips since I feel like a utility repairman wearing a tool belt. I prefer the more sleeker cases, my favorite being the slim one that used to cover the sleek Palm Vx and the entire delicate front panel. A phone case is a bit more of a challenge since they tend to get bulkier easily and will also cover the back. What to do?

With the Treo 650 I had a nice "glove" case which I bought from Treocentral. It worked well, was inexpensive ($20?) and was custom fit so that even the keyboard was protected with a custom molded cover. Typing was not easy and I could not be sure whether it was the extra thickiness of a rubber cover or the 600 depressed keypad. This explains why most 650 glove cases leave the entire keyboard uncovered and leaves me feeling a little uncomfortable after being placed in the side pocket of my laptop back to move around with other loose items that may be there.

Then someone mentioned the zcover -- but is it worth $35? From my experience so far, it's overpriced but it certainly is an excellent glove cover and I think a worthwhile investment, even if you feel that's a premium to pay for some molded rubber. I'll explain why I'm very happy with it so far:

This cover is put on the phone by pulling apart and stretching the screen area slightly to cram the bottom of the Treo into the bottom half of the case first and then pulling the top of the "glove" over the top of the Treo 650. Was pretty easy to do, easier than it felt at first.

(1) Cutouts are very good and well thought out. All the holes for the accessories are there and can be completely cut off -- but they aren't by default. What I really like is that the headphone and sync cable can be easily pulled up to insert the jack and then, when traveling, the flaps can be put down and completely cover those holes. It protects the phone from damage and from little tidbits that might be shuffling in your bag from getting into the sensitive areas of the phone. Even BETTER is the cover for the camera lens. But it was well thought out. You can fold back the flap for the lens, which has a slight protrusion that acts as a button that holds the flap back against the case when you want to take pictures.

(2) If you really want that belt clip, it has a very sturdy and removable belt clip. It will hold the phone tightly against your belt and is completely removable without any extra "baggage" if you don't want it. A hand strap comes included that can clip to the belt clip of you have it installed.

(3) The Keyboard indentations are pretty good but I can say that typing on the keyboard is easy. I would have liked to see the 5 way button covered but I wonder how effect the glove covers are for this button. The cutout works reasonably well although it can make the 5 way button a challenge at times.

(4) The grip on the phone is the key -- the Treo 650 is an accident waiting to happen without a grip or external case that allows you to grip the phone better. The grip you get with the case is excellent. You will not drop the phone.

(5) Appearance: This case is custom made and the "ice" version I got, the fully transparent case, seems the one to get. Most importantly you can see all the keyboard buttons.

(6) Cutouts: The microphone and speaker cutouts are well done. It works well.

CONS:

(1) There is no cutout for the SD card. This can be done easily with a common knife.

(2) Resets can be a miserable experience if you need to do one. But don't blame Zcover. Every full case requires you to take the Treo out and open the batter cover and push the pen into the pinhole.

Overall rating: 4 of 5, deductions for high price, lack of SD cutout and cutout with no cover of 5 way button. Extras for including a screen protection alternative (albeit a cheap piece of transparent plastic), wrist strap capability.

UPDATED: Overall rating 4.5 out of 5. The lack of SD card cutout is actually more of a benefit. The only real negatives are the price and lack of a 5-way cover along with the minor issues written below. At this point I have not seen a better designed slim fit case than this one.
    Last edited by slinky; 07/18/2005 at 01:13 PM.
    How sticky is it and difficult to get in/out of a pants pockt and how much does it attract lint in a pants pocket all day?
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    [QUOTE=slinky]
    (1) There is no cutout for the SD card. This can be done easily with a common knife.

(1) Personally I think a cover over the SD card is great for securing your card.
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Link please?
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Link please?
    It is... Drumroll please...
    http://zcover.com !!!

Shame on you.

I just got mine the other day. Fast shipping from Canada. Love it with a couple minor complaints:

The 5-way is recessed in the cutout, so I have to use the tip of my thumb or even thumbnail to navigate. My Zap!2016 scores have gone down.

If the molding around the volume key isn't situated just right, hitting down will make it stick and the vol will go all the way down.

The camera lens flap is better than nothing, but it isn't secured when covering the lens; it can be easily flipped open.

The screen protector was like using a Ziplock freezer bag as a condom: i.e. no sensitivity.

I still think you would be hard pressed to find a better engineered skin case.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTreoGuy
    How sticky is it and difficult to get in/out of a pants pockt and how much does it attract lint in a pants pocket all day?
    Yea...what he asked! I just find those dern skin cases to be so hard to pull out...whether I'm standing up and especially if I'm sitting down and/or in a car.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Yea...what he asked! I just find those dern skin cases to be so hard to pull out...whether I'm standing up and especially if I'm sitting down and/or in a car.
    I have been keeping mine in the cargo pocket of pants/shorts and have had no trouble taking it out. If it was in a tight jeans pocket I could see some difficulty... I was trying to come up with an analogy of how the case feels, and the best I could come up with is the sole of a tennis shoe. It is not by any definition "sticky."

Zero lint after two days.
    Last edited by Nanook; 07/17/2005 at 06:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanook
    I have been keeping mine in the cargo pocket of pants/shorts and have had no trouble taking it out. If it was in a tight jeans pocket I could see some difficulty... I was trying to come up with an analogy of how the case feels, and the best I could come up with is the sole of a tennis shoe. It is not by any definition "sticky."

Zero lint after two days.
    SInce I keep mine in the fornt pocket of my jeans (not real tight but tighter than cargo pants pocket), can you explain why/how you think there would be difficulty? I currently have a leather form fit case on it and that is no problem, but I don't think it is very safe from a fall. Is the skin really much better for a fall? And is it horrifically ugly? I need to take out my SD card on a regular basis. Is it realistic to think I could just cut a kind of slot up top for that but leaving the extra skin there so it is somewhat covered/protected from accidental pop-up?
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTreoGuy
    ...can you explain why/how you think there would be difficulty? ... Is the skin really much better for a fall? And is it horrifically ugly? ... Is it realistic to think I could just cut a kind of slot up top for that but leaving the extra skin there so it is somewhat covered/protected from accidental pop-up?
    Imagine pulling the sole of a tennis shoe out of your pocket and I hope you'll get the idea.

I don't think any skins are made for fall protection. It's better than nothing, but a hard case offers the most protection.

I think it looks cool, but go to the site and see for yourself.

Yes, a slit would still keep the card from popping out accidentally.
    Last edited by Nanook; 07/18/2005 at 12:58 PM.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    The 5-way is recessed in the cutout, so I have to use the tip of my thumb or even thumbnail to navigate. My Zap!2016 scores have gone down.
    Ditto. I think I mentioned this and noticed it was worse than I originally thought. Easily modified by trimming slightly more around the 5 way button. Hope that works for you and your scoring.

If the molding around the volume key isn't situated just right, hitting down will make it stick and the vol will go all the way down.
    Yep. But this is a stupid and unnecessary Palm redesign with that huge cheap rocker switch. Previous gloves had no problems.

The camera lens flap is better than nothing, but it isn't secured when covering the lens; it can be easily flipped open.
    While true, I've found that it rarely ever flips open by itself since the molding makes it natural to be closed.

I still think you would be hard pressed to find a better engineered skin case.
    Ditto. That's why I thought I'd write up a review. It cost a little more but it's definitely worth it.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Imagine pulling the sole of a tennis shoe out of your pocket and I hope you'll get the idea.

I don't think any skins are made for fall protection. It's better than nothing, but a hard case offers the most protection.

I think it looks cool, but go to the site and see for yourself.

Yes, a slit would still keep the card from popping out accidentally.
    I've come around on the SD card slot being closed since it's so much better to just pull off the cover to replace the SD card during those times when I remove it. I'm going to upgrade my review to a 4.5 rating.

Regarding the reasons for a glove over any leather or hard case, it is by far the slimmest solution to protect against scratches, general usage wear and tear, a necessary increase in grip and to a lesser extent some fall/drop protection as the rubber is conducive to absorbing impact. Note also good, the keyboard protection is there and I haven't found it to be any noticeable hindrance for typing.

It easily fits into my pocket. It's more difficult to pull out than it is without the case but not to the point where it even approaches a problem. With virtually any leather case the pocket capability is reduced greatly as there are issues of larger form factor and more rigid edges that can make carrying less comfortable. I used to have a great leather flip case for my Treo 600 but it was definitely bulkier (cover for the front was thick) and the securing of the case around the phone is not nearly as good as the glove. The bottom "loop" portion kept falling off the bottom of the case.

As was stated earlier, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better designed case.
    Last edited by slinky; 07/18/2005 at 01:17 PM.
    This review is quite unbiased.

I give 4.5 score as well. I bought Tech Ice for my Treo 650.
    Great design! Fits perfectly.
    Pretty objective review!! Thanks!

I got a zcover case for my treo650. Nice for me to wear it in the office.
    Hi,

With the 650 in the zCover, is it usable with a cradle?

I have the Palm cradle, and wondering if it will be a bother to take it in and out just to sync/charge
    Just got my zcover. There are some good points and bad. Overall, it is well made and I actually like having the skin over the keys, it makes them feel better to the touch and does not make it harder to type at all. There are three things that really bug me.
    1. The 5way button is nearly impossible to use the way the design has it cut out. It forces you to use your fingernails. This is so bad, that I will have to do something in order to keep using it. I plan to cut the hole larger. If they had covered the whole front with the thin keyboard covering including the 5way, i think it would have been much better.
    2. the thickness of the skin at the bottom of the screen makes it very difficult to use your finger to hit screen buttons at the bottom of the screen. Again, thin covering up to the screen would make this much better.
    3. the tabs on the inside of the belt clip make it very difficult to put on my belt and even more difficult to remove. I plan to file off the inner one and file the outer one down a bit. Hopefully this will help.
    Im thinking of cutting out the thick covering inbetween the thin keyboard covering and the bottom of the screen, but figure this might upset the integrity of fit and make the case bow out at the sides. Has anyone done this?
    JGP
    most cases cannot fit with the cradle. Because cradle is designed for the nake devices.
    Got my Zcover and have had it on for about a day now.

- Fit gets better around the device the longer it stays on.
    - Agree that the cutout around the 5-way was a mistake. They should have just covered it like the other buttons. Very difficult to direct it upwards, and also causes you to hit the action button alot when you may not want to.
    - Cut outs for sync, camera, and headset are nice.
    - My only question is whether to keep the tech grey or return it for ice.
    slinky: how did you trim around the 5-way? I tried using a sharp knife, but the silicon was too soft. I plan to get a small pair of scissors, like for nail clipping. I'd like for it to not look too ragged afterwards...
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Nanook - I used a small scissors like you plan to get. I just shaved off a little bit. It's not 100% perfect but it's really close enough and looks fine. Having the extra space makes a huge difference in being able to move the 5 way up and down.
    I used a cuticle scissor to trim the silicone. worked very well. I ended up trimming off the entire thick portion from the keys up to the bottom of the screen. I am very happy with it. I have the 5way back and can use my fingers on the bottom of the screen. time will only tell how well the skin holds up without the reinforcing portion above the 5way. I also sanded the belt clip tabs(the grippers on the inside of the belt clip). I removed the entire one on the inside and about half of the one on the outside. it works much better. I can now take it off and put it on my belt with ease
    JGP
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast