Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    So does the Zcover Glove come with a screen protector or do I have to buy ie Boxwave as a complement?
    Quote Originally Posted by mnylen
    So does the Zcover Glove come with a screen protector or do I have to buy ie Boxwave as a complement?
    The Zcover comes with a screen protector..
    Zcover
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    When it comes to cases, everyone has their preference. I personally hate the belt clips since I feel like a utility repairman wearing a tool belt. I prefer the more sleeker cases, my favorite being the slim one that used to cover the sleek Palm Vx and the entire delicate front panel. A phone case is a bit more of a challenge since they tend to get bulkier easily and will also cover the back. What to do?

With the Treo 650 I had a nice "glove" case which I bought from Treocentral. It worked well, was inexpensive ($20?) and was custom fit so that even the keyboard was protected with a custom molded cover. Typing was not easy and I could not be sure whether it was the extra thickiness of a rubber cover or the 600 depressed keypad. This explains why most 650 glove cases leave the entire keyboard uncovered and leaves me feeling a little uncomfortable after being placed in the side pocket of my laptop back to move around with other loose items that may be there.

Then someone mentioned the zcover -- but is it worth $35? From my experience so far, it's overpriced but it certainly is an excellent glove cover and I think a worthwhile investment, even if you feel that's a premium to pay for some molded rubber. I'll explain why I'm very happy with it so far:

This cover is put on the phone by pulling apart and stretching the screen area slightly to cram the bottom of the Treo into the bottom half of the case first and then pulling the top of the "glove" over the top of the Treo 650. Was pretty easy to do, easier than it felt at first.

(1) Cutouts are very good and well thought out. All the holes for the accessories are there and can be completely cut off -- but they aren't by default. What I really like is that the headphone and sync cable can be easily pulled up to insert the jack and then, when traveling, the flaps can be put down and completely cover those holes. It protects the phone from damage and from little tidbits that might be shuffling in your bag from getting into the sensitive areas of the phone. Even BETTER is the cover for the camera lens. But it was well thought out. You can fold back the flap for the lens, which has a slight protrusion that acts as a button that holds the flap back against the case when you want to take pictures.

(2) If you really want that belt clip, it has a very sturdy and removable belt clip. It will hold the phone tightly against your belt and is completely removable without any extra "baggage" if you don't want it. A hand strap comes included that can clip to the belt clip of you have it installed.

(3) The Keyboard indentations are pretty good but I can say that typing on the keyboard is easy. I would have liked to see the 5 way button covered but I wonder how effect the glove covers are for this button. The cutout works reasonably well although it can make the 5 way button a challenge at times.

(4) The grip on the phone is the key -- the Treo 650 is an accident waiting to happen without a grip or external case that allows you to grip the phone better. The grip you get with the case is excellent. You will not drop the phone.

(5) Appearance: This case is custom made and the "ice" version I got, the fully transparent case, seems the one to get. Most importantly you can see all the keyboard buttons.

(6) Cutouts: The microphone and speaker cutouts are well done. It works well.

CONS:

(1) There is no cutout for the SD card. This can be done easily with a common knife.

(2) Resets can be a miserable experience if you need to do one. But don't blame Zcover. Every full case requires you to take the Treo out and open the batter cover and push the pen into the pinhole.

Overall rating: 4 of 5, deductions for high price, lack of SD cutout and cutout with no cover of 5 way button. Extras for including a screen protection alternative (albeit a cheap piece of transparent plastic), wrist strap capability.

UPDATED: Overall rating 4.5 out of 5. The lack of SD card cutout is actually more of a benefit. The only real negatives are the price and lack of a 5-way cover along with the minor issues written below. At this point I have not seen a better designed slim fit case than this one.
    Hello Slinky
    Thank you for such a detailed write up about the z cover. AFter reading, I purchased one and have been much happier with the appearance and handling of my 650 ever since....I don't seem to have near as many problems with my 650 as alot of these complainers within this forum seem to have...maybe a loose nut behind their keyboards is the problem and too much conflicting software.....at any rate..the z cover added alot to my 650 ...
    thanks again
    oh yeah.....I got the grey....not the ice....
    the Baer
    very comprehensive review, thanks a lot for your sharing. I just order my zCover pink one
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Thanks for the review Slinky!
    I ordered the Grey...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    I've been using the Z Cover since it first came out, and here's a few observations:

- You can leave your original stylus a fraction of an inch up in the slot so the end is flush with the Zcover. That way there's a little gap to get your finger nail in, and the cover holds the stylus steadfast.

-The Camera cover is pretty durable. It won't keep out all the dust, but will protect against scratches. I wish it locked shut though.

- I really hated how difficult the belt clip was to get off of a belt. I'm glad they made it this way now because it WILL NOT accidentally come off. Once you get used to the two way movement of the tip of the clip, taking it off your belt becomes much easier with one hand.

- I've gotten used to using the tip of my finger on the 5way. It could have been better, but it's not an issue now days.

- The case loosens up after removing and washing it a few times. It's much easier to get to the reset button now days.

- Hated the covered SD slot at first, but love it now after hearing about all these lost SD cards. It's not difficult at all to remove the tip portion of the case to get to the Card.

- The microphone hole needs to be a little bigger. Doesn't really present a problem though.

Verdict? The case is a little quirky at first, but after a few good weeks of use, you will love it. Best thing about it of course is the protection. I KNOW I can drop my phone from 5 feet and it will be just fine.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Thanks for your feedback Kronium.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    I have to agree with other positive reviews here. I have had my eGlove for about two weeks now and I love the protection it gives me, the grippy surface so it won't slip out of my hands, the lack of bulk it adds, and no flip cover to have to open to see my caller id.

I have had no problems working the keys although the volume up and down buttons on the side don't sit perfectly in the case and sometimes I have to readjust the case or I cannot get the five way button to respond when powering up.

Things that I don't like or concern me :

1) Still not convinced the camera cover is going to hold up over time and I am concerned that when it rips it might tear more of the cover with it...just have not gotten myself to cut it off yet. BTW, the little hold back for the camera cover seems to be a waste and the eGlove covers up my self-portrait mirror

2) I have been wearing my summer shorts which are looser and I have no problems getting it out of my pocket. Wondering if things will be so easy when I switch to jeans for the Fall which are much tighter fitting. Time will tell.

Well I guess that's it...just two concerns. I guess I really do like this case
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggy
    1) Still not convinced the camera cover is going to hold up over time and I am concerned that when it rips it might tear more of the cover with it...just have not gotten myself to cut it off yet. BTW, the little hold back for the camera cover seems to be a waste and the eGlove covers up my self-portrait mirror
    So far since I bought the zcover the little camera cover still works perfectly. It would have been difficult to make it form fitting without covering up the mirror, IMHO, and it's a easy trade off for the protection of the camera cover - which I never understood being left uncovered. The hold back works perfectly for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Doggy
    2) I have been wearing my summer shorts which are looser and I have no problems getting it out of my pocket. Wondering if things will be so easy when I switch to jeans for the Fall which are much tighter fitting. Time will tell.
    Like any sticky case, it is sticky! I don't have a problem getting it out of my jeans pocket although there is a little resistance, which is understood. The grip works well for me and the case also absorbed the shock of a few drops.

Thanks for the comments and the additional discussion guys. I like seeing when good products are brought to the forefront and am a proponent of building the better mousetrap instead of selling well marketed disposable crap.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Well I just got mine today. first thoughts are it is great. The best thing is the improvement in my keyboard typing. As I have large fingers I mostly use the end of my fingernails, the added traction or grip from the cover is great.

As I have heard before the case wll fit better after a little time. I fits pretty good now but I look forward to it adjusting.

BTW I got mine n blue. I wanted something a little different. My wife's first comment was that t now looked like a toy. I thing the color is cool.
    today I got my pink zCover for my new Treo 650. It's so nice color. Great case as you guys referred.
    my peers like it very much. Not that easy for girls to get a case in different color. Has to be in a professional way, in the meantime, make you different.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Just got mine: how ugly...
    I'm sad to say that I should have known that I would not have liked the wishy-washy grey and the cheapo plastic stylus. The grey kinda makes my Treo look sort of mossy and old. I don't like unprofessional tooty-fruity colors so this was the only color option for me: too bad. I may appreciate it more if it came in solid black.

Also, the camera lens cover just hangs there waiting to be caught on something only to rip off.

With that said, I must also report that I put it on anyway to test it and I think it is well made, great fit and very functional. I especially like the removable belt clip design. I don't think the 5-way is as bad as I expected based on previous reports.

Now I appreciate my Vaja T65 even more...
    ... where's my leather care?
    suppose the keys cannot be read if in black color.

I like my pink one. some people prefer the leather one. but the leather case cannot offer this kidda of transparent color sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    When it comes to cases, everyone has their preference. I personally hate the belt clips since I feel like a utility repairman wearing a tool belt. I prefer the more sleeker cases, my favorite being the slim one that used to cover the sleek Palm Vx and the entire delicate front panel. A phone case is a bit more of a challenge since they tend to get bulkier easily and will also cover the back. What to do?

With the Treo 650 I had a nice "glove" case which I bought from Treocentral. It worked well, was inexpensive ($20?) and was custom fit so that even the keyboard was protected with a custom molded cover. Typing was not easy and I could not be sure whether it was the extra thickiness of a rubber cover or the 600 depressed keypad. This explains why most 650 glove cases leave the entire keyboard uncovered and leaves me feeling a little uncomfortable after being placed in the side pocket of my laptop back to move around with other loose items that may be there.

Then someone mentioned the zcover -- but is it worth $35? From my experience so far, it's overpriced but it certainly is an excellent glove cover and I think a worthwhile investment, even if you feel that's a premium to pay for some molded rubber. I'll explain why I'm very happy with it so far:

This cover is put on the phone by pulling apart and stretching the screen area slightly to cram the bottom of the Treo into the bottom half of the case first and then pulling the top of the "glove" over the top of the Treo 650. Was pretty easy to do, easier than it felt at first.

(1) Cutouts are very good and well thought out. All the holes for the accessories are there and can be completely cut off -- but they aren't by default. What I really like is that the headphone and sync cable can be easily pulled up to insert the jack and then, when traveling, the flaps can be put down and completely cover those holes. It protects the phone from damage and from little tidbits that might be shuffling in your bag from getting into the sensitive areas of the phone. Even BETTER is the cover for the camera lens. But it was well thought out. You can fold back the flap for the lens, which has a slight protrusion that acts as a button that holds the flap back against the case when you want to take pictures.

(2) If you really want that belt clip, it has a very sturdy and removable belt clip. It will hold the phone tightly against your belt and is completely removable without any extra "baggage" if you don't want it. A hand strap comes included that can clip to the belt clip of you have it installed.

(3) The Keyboard indentations are pretty good but I can say that typing on the keyboard is easy. I would have liked to see the 5 way button covered but I wonder how effect the glove covers are for this button. The cutout works reasonably well although it can make the 5 way button a challenge at times.

(4) The grip on the phone is the key -- the Treo 650 is an accident waiting to happen without a grip or external case that allows you to grip the phone better. The grip you get with the case is excellent. You will not drop the phone.

(5) Appearance: This case is custom made and the "ice" version I got, the fully transparent case, seems the one to get. Most importantly you can see all the keyboard buttons.

(6) Cutouts: The microphone and speaker cutouts are well done. It works well.

CONS:

(1) There is no cutout for the SD card. This can be done easily with a common knife.

(2) Resets can be a miserable experience if you need to do one. But don't blame Zcover. Every full case requires you to take the Treo out and open the batter cover and push the pen into the pinhole.

Overall rating: 4 of 5, deductions for high price, lack of SD cutout and cutout with no cover of 5 way button. Extras for including a screen protection alternative (albeit a cheap piece of transparent plastic), wrist strap capability.

UPDATED: Overall rating 4.5 out of 5. The lack of SD card cutout is actually more of a benefit. The only real negatives are the price and lack of a 5-way cover along with the minor issues written below. At this point I have not seen a better designed slim fit case than this one.
    good review. i may consdier to get the ice color for my new 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by raila

I like my pink one.
    I do n't think so .
    http://www.zcover.com/product_pics/PT650OGR.htmhttp://www.zcover.com/product_pics/PT650OGR.htm
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raila

I like my pink one. some people prefer the leather one. but the leather case cannot offer this kidda of transparent color sense.
    Based on the thickness of the silicone, especially in the area of the keyboard, plus the fact that the keyboard lights up when you use it, plus the fact that the fonts are either white-on-"black" or black-on-white, I believe the keyboard would be visible just fine.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith
    Based on the thickness of the silicone, especially in the area of the keyboard, plus the fact that the keyboard lights up when you use it, plus the fact that the fonts are either white-on-"black" or black-on-white, I believe the keyboard would be visible just fine.
    Why not get the ice color. Very neutral, and you can still tell it's a treo. Every treo owner I meet says wow, and asks me what where I got my case. You can always sell your case on Ebay for almost what you bought it for.

Also, you get used to the camera cover, I too was worried at first. It won't rip off. And no need to use the cheap stylus. If you like black, the palmone pen/stylus has a black top that will match the grey case.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kronium
    Why not get the ice color. Very neutral, and you can still tell it's a treo. Every treo owner I meet says wow, and asks me what where I got my case. You can always sell your case on Ebay for almost what you bought it for.

Also, you get used to the camera cover, I too was worried at first. It won't rip off. And no need to use the cheap stylus. If you like black, the palmone pen/stylus has a black top that will match the grey case.
    Thanks for your suggestions!
    Ordered tech gray . You can see the keyboard image in my last post and it is nicely visible .
    Ice looks more plastic and condom like . I always thought that the best Treo color ever was the black sprint T600. I think tech gray will give that sort of a look .
    Will know in few days , still in transit from Canada.
    Also the back clip blends nicely with techgray.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Ordered tech gray . You can see the keyboard image in my last post and it is nicely visible .
    Ice looks more plastic and condom like . I always thought that the best Treo color ever was the black sprint T600. I think tech gray will give that sort of a look .
    Will know in few days , still in transit from Canada.
    Also the back clip blends nicely with techgray.
    So I thought... the Tech Grey is a lot lighter than it looks in the promotional pics...
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast