1.    #1  
    I love my Treo when it works well, but when it's bad, it's bad.
    Versamail seems to cause some serious hangs, especially when I try to use it with Gmail. I have been testing chatter on an imap account and love it, however, my battery is constantly in the red. I can't even make it through a day anymore, though I have it sleeping from 12am-6am.

Suggestions, fixes? I just downloaded the latest update (.04, I was on .03).
    I will purchase it if I can get past this problem. Thanks.
    danix - How long does it last? Who is your carrier? Which Treo do you have? How many Mailboxes, and how are they set up? (push, quicksync and how often, etc.)?

Marc
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply.
    Treo 650 from Sprint, latest update. Currently one mailbox, imap.
    Sync messages 3 days, subscribed only.
    Sleep hours 12am to 6am.
    All other boxes are unchecked.

I too have caught it sitting there bright-screened in the middle of the night, not quite sure why.
    Bright-screened?? I don't have any reports of that...

You didn't answer two of my questions: How long the battery lasts, and how the Mailbox is set up (online vs. scheduled)?

Marc
  5.    #5  
    There are a few posts elsewhere reporting that the Treo comes alive and just sits there as it tries to get online, again and again until the battery dies. I found them on a search for "chatter".

It's hard to say about battery life since it depends on whether the Treo is fully charged or not. I am leaving work fully charged so I will check tonight.
  6.    #6  
    Oh, I don't understand the mailbox question. How can I check?
    Are you getting push with it, or have you set up a schedule? And the posts you refer to may not be related at all to what you're seeing...

There are settings in the "Connection" prefs to tell Chatter how often and how aggressively to try to connect when the signal is bad.

Marc
  8.    #8  
    I'm not sure what you mean about push. Is there a guide to setting up this thing?
    It does seem to work better than versamail though, so assuming I can fix the battery drain, I'll keep it.
    Quote Originally Posted by danix
    I'm not sure what you mean about push. Is there a guide to setting up this thing?
    It does seem to work better than versamail though, so assuming I can fix the battery drain, I'll keep it.
    danix -

It's all pretty much in the Chatter manual (a very useful document, I highly recommend you look through it), but basically Chatter can deal with IMAP mailboxes in two different ways:

1. Online "push" mode -- your Treo maintains a constant idle data connection with your mail server. When the server receives a new email, it wakes up the connection and sends the new email notification to your Treo;

2. Offline "scheduled" mode -- your Treo initiates a connection to your mail server on a scheduled interval (say, every 15 minutes) to see if there's new mail there, and optionally disconnects your network connection when it's done (look in the Chatter preferences' "connections" section for "disconnect if all mailboxes offline"). Synchronizing in Chatter in this way is called QuickSync, or QSync.

Option #1 provides immediate, real-time synchronization to your email server but is a bit of a drain on your battery. Option #2 isn't as immediate, obviously, but it does save your battery.

You set which option you want to use on a mailbox-by-mailbox basis by setting up your Mailbox preferences (Menu -> Box -> Edit Mailbox). In the "Deliver" section, check "Offline" if you want option #2 (above), and if you want a schedule, also check the "Qsync every __ minutes" box and fill in the value you want. Uncheck "Offline" if you prefer Option 1.

Finally, if your mailbox is offline and you want to do a QuickSync manually (not waiting for your schedule), go to Menu -> Sys -> QuickSync All. You can also configure one of your Treo's buttons (like the Email button) to do a QuickSync in the Chatter Preferences ("Buttons" section).

I hope this helps!

Jesse
    Oh yeah, there's also a way to set up Chatter to perform a QuickSync whenever you receive an incoming SMS message with text that matches a certain pattern. This lets you approximate the "real-time" functionality of push mode without draining your battery, but you do have to configure your email server to send out an SMS notification to your phone whenever you get a new email. (Not a very good option, either, if you are charged for incoming SMS messages like me!) I don't know too much about that functionality, though; if that interests you, maybe someone else on this board can help you out, or you can check the Chatter manual.
  11.    #11  
    I did buy a license (hint - perhaps some warning of expiration would be better than "unregistered copy!" on day 30?)

I can't seem to turn off the tagline "sent by chattermail" with the URL. If I'm paying for the software, I'm not advertising it Seriously, I don't want people to know when I am mobile, so how do I disable it? I don't have a sig enabled.

Also Marc, should I switch to your forums for support or post here?
    Thanks.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danix
    I did buy a license (hint - perhaps some warning of expiration would be better than "unregistered copy!" on day 30?)

I can't seem to turn off the tagline "sent by chattermail" with the URL. If I'm paying for the software, I'm not advertising it Seriously, I don't want people to know when I am mobile, so how do I disable it? I don't have a sig enabled.

Also Marc, should I switch to your forums for support or post here?
    Thanks.
    Prefs--Composing----Check the "No Signature" box