Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just ordered a Tom Tom 5 and wanted to be sure of one thing......

Can the app and the maps all be stored/ran from the SD card? If not, how much free RAM is needed to run the app?

I looked at the Mapopolis NAV Card first but their technical support people told me that it needs 16MB free for the initial install and 10 MB free to run the app on a regular basis. I don't see the point of having everything on a SD card but requiring 16MB to use it. I only have 10.9 MB free so I couldn't even do the initial install of the card.

I hope this isn't the case with Tom Tom. I thought I read somewhere that everything can be kept on the card and only a small kb file or two needed to be in RAM.

TIA
    that's correct, Tom Tom only takes up a tiny bit of space in your main memory. according to their site, Tom Tom 5 isn't out yet. did you preorder it or something? did they give you a release date?
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply.

No pre-order. They told me they got them in today. I'll have it Tuesday. I was skeptical but they assured me I'll have it by Tuesday. If it doesn't come by then they told me I'm more than welcome to a full refund.
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    Thanks for the reply.

No pre-order. They told me they got them in today. I'll have it Tuesday. I was skeptical but they assured me I'll have it by Tuesday. If it doesn't come by then they told me I'm more than welcome to a full refund.
    who is "they"?
  5.    #5  
    Tiger GPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben74
    that's correct, Tom Tom only takes up a tiny bit of space in your main memory. according to their site, Tom Tom 5 isn't out yet. did you preorder it or something? did they give you a release date?
    TT5 has been out for several weeks. I have had mine since July 8th...it rocks!
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    Where did you buy TT5 ?
    I've been using mine for a weak or so and it works great. I got it from buy.com and I was about to get it from amazon.com

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by gibby
    Where did you buy TT5 ?
    Adventure GPS....there is an entire thread talking about this.
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Bought it at Fry's on Saturday. They had 6 in stock at the Atlanta store. Of course, that is with the TomTom GPS antenna, not the BT-338 that Semsons and others sell with the software. But I've played with it around town and had it find me a new way to work today. Shaved 5 mins off my commute and took me off the dreaded I85 south to I285 West run.

I got all 6 region maps and the major US roads maps plus the software on my 1gig SD card.
  11.    #11  
    I am happy to report I just received my tracking number from Tiger GPS.

I'll have my Tom Tom 5 tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Grats. Best toy, I've bought in ages...well since the 650
    Bought mine during the week of the 4th from amazon when they had that deal.

Almost all of the tomtom program sits on the sdcard, only like two small prcs are actually installed.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Just got Tomtom Navigator 5, I try to install the software but it never completes and crashes hotsync.. I get the first 3megs of the program and it always crashes during the map install 127megs.. always at the end. Any ideas?
    thanks
    <merged> Maybe this thread could help?
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    <merged> Maybe this thread could help?
    I thankyou for trying to help by moving this to this thead, but I don't think any of these people can help, Hot sync is locked into installing the maps for this software every time I sync. It locks up so every time I resync it trys again. Basically I can't sync my 650 now. I have no idea why or how to fix this.
  17.    #17  
    Did you do a back up before installing the software? Would a hard reset and restore fix it?

What about uninstalling the app from your PC?

Is there anything showing in the Palm Install Tool that you can remove?

Is there a way to disable the Tom Tom Hot Sync conduit? You can try disabling the "install to card" feature under Hot Sync, custom.
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkwolf
    I thankyou for trying to help by moving this to this thead, but I don't think any of these people can help, Hot sync is locked into installing the maps for this software every time I sync. It locks up so every time I resync it trys again. Basically I can't sync my 650 now. I have no idea why or how to fix this.
    look thru this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=88385
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
    This is older thread but have similar issues. Help! Problems with Tom Tom
    digitalfx
    Former Treo 650 user
    now happy HTC TyTn owner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast