Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnytk36
    i just tested that out and yeah i got a reset tring to send a picture. What ersion of the rom did you use. I used #2 and then i added my own apps.
    me too. sucks. i used to like sending ringtones and pics. i might just go back. it didnt even save me that much memory without the versamail and realplayer. its just alot less annnoying. what are u gonna do?
    sanny
    los angeles, ca
    tmo with unbranded unlocked treo 650
    coolest thing: bluetooth syncing and internet browsing!
    I am going to just suck it up, till i can spend some more time to figure out why it is doing this. It has to be a versamail file i think. It will just take some time to find which one.
    Cingular Branded Treo 650
    Firmware: 1.51
    Software: 1.13

----
    JK
    It just started working for me. the only thing i did was disable teallock and install snappermail. I am going to have to redu my rom so ill test this out later.

----
    JK
  4.    #44  
    It just started working for me. the only thing i did was disable teallock and install snappermail. I am going to have to redu my rom so ill test this out later.

johnny:

If it is working now, do you think then it is not related to a Versamail file, but perhaps to another issue?

Maria
    Yeah i rhink it is to do with some other program. Becasue i just re-flashed my rom and i see it still. I am going to have to reinstall all of my apps tonight so ill check it after everytime i install a few to see if i can narrow down a app that is doing it.

----
    JK
  6.    #46  
    J-tk36

Thanks for the info and feedback.

M
    I just reinstalled all my apps and it is still there. I used custom rom #2 with calc and clock also removed. Plus I added in the rom the "select network" hack. I am now running fw 1.28 since i've heard alot of mixed things about 1.30. I figure 1.30 has some enhanced things for the networks in asia where it was released and alos incoperated some fixes that we see but not enough to take the risk.

I did take all my apps out or rom and they are either on ram or the sd card.

Hope this helps.

----
    JK
  8.    #48  
    New upload links added. Thanks to Mr. B*** and LP-****.

Maria
    just want to let you guys know, that i went from a cingular branded locked 650 to 1.28 using the roms in this thread.

my 650 is still locked, but i will be getting the unlock codes shortly.

thanks to lovecostarica and shadowmite for this.

works flawlessly.
    Usual Suspects Entertainment
    We make the crowd move.
    www.djnyce.com
    This may seem stupid to many of you but I am about to embark on customising my 1.28 ROM. Using the Treo650 Tool I have modified a custom ROM provided on this forum and added some extra program. When I build the rom I find the custom rom now has an additional folder with the name "CustomRom".
    Do I copy the files in this folder to the Treo650 ROW folder and overwrite the originals in that folder or leave it as it is before copying to the SD Card for installation.

Thanks for your advice
    I just reinstalled all my apps and it is still there. I used custom rom #2 with calc and clock also removed. Plus I added in the rom the "select network" hack. I am now running fw 1.28 since i've heard alot of mixed things about 1.30. I figure 1.30 has some enhanced things for the networks in asia where it was released and alos incoperated some fixes that we see but not enough to take the risk.

I did take all my apps out or rom and they are either on ram or the sd card.

Hope this helps.
    1.30 and 1.31 are radio firmware updates and not ROM updates. They should not change your ROM at all even if it is a custom ROM. There are noticeable improvements in sound clarity and possibly some other benefits too.
    l
    I just installed 1.31FW on my 1.28ROW treo. However, I just downloaded a custom 1.28 ROM that removes all languages except english, tutorial, and realplayer. If I install this new custom ROW via SD card, will it overright to 1.28? or will the 1.31 take precedent?
  14. tmt
    If you install this custom ROM, it will re-flash the radio with whatever version is present in the Firmware* files you execute as part of the ROM flash. You can do one of two things - simply run the 1.31 flasher after installing this ROM, or replace the files in the custom ROM's Treo650.ROW directory with the ones from 1.31. Do not add them by customizing ace-palmos.zip!
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by rhlb
    This may seem stupid to many of you but I am about to embark on customising my 1.28 ROM. Using the Treo650 Tool I have modified a custom ROM provided on this forum and added some extra program. When I build the rom I find the custom rom now has an additional folder with the name "CustomRom".
    Do I copy the files in this folder to the Treo650 ROW folder and overwrite the originals in that folder or leave it as it is before copying to the SD Card for installation.

Thanks for your advice
    Once you copy your newly created zip and md5 file to the DeviceCustomizer/Treo650.ROW directory, you can remove the CustomROM directory completely, or save'em for prosperity.

M
  16.    #56  
    Hi Maria,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't quite get you, as size limit what did you really mean, the ace_palmos.zip size should be less than 10.6MB. Right? Anyway I figured even the PalmOne's original zip is around 9MB in size.

But the thing is Maria when I use your minimal ROM (6MB) with the ROM Tool starts to give the minus (-) sign when I add roughly around 2.2MB. This thing bugged me. So plz elaborate

For your knowledge

Within that limit (2.2MB additional) I flushed the ROM two times without much of a problem. First time I had included CradExport (Unregged V) and SmartPhoneTools (4 PRCs, Regged v) The ROM update was painless though whenever I tried opening these programs it went on a loop reset. Even hard reset didn't stabalise the system. So I did a re-flash without those two apps. I wanted to add SplashPhoto but there wasn't a language orverlay file (_enUS.prc) so I was scared. For SplashMoney there wasn't enough room with the 2.2MB limit.

Any suggetions on this ?

The ROM working fine now. Added the 1.31 GSM update too. The GSM update started a loop reset right after the update I was little scared though I knew nothning could go wrong at that point. So I remove the battery, kept it for a while, hard reset again and it was fine then. The GSM Update file (Blue Box Icon) were still there and I had to manually remove it.

I have added the folowing to this ROM without a glitch. Send me your app list too. I want to know whether it is safer to add more apps. For the 10.6 limit there is still nearly 3MB to go.

Butler 106 KB,
    Colorize 29 KB
    dbscan 33 KB
    Fonts4OS5 68 KB
    GrfAnywhere 49 KB
    Handera18B 30 KB
    Handera22B 43 KB
    HandZipper 155 KB
    KB_LightsOff 21 KB
    LEDOff 20 KB
    mLights 17 KB
    MultiUserHack 38 KB
    PowerRun 64 KB
    PowerRUN_Key 1 KB
    PsMemo.prc 75 KB
    RadioControl 6 KB
    RescoBackup 151 KB
    RescoExplorer 351 KB
    ROMHidePanel 14 KB
    SnapCalc 64 KB
    SoftReset 10 KB
    SoundRec 20 KB
    SplashID 325 KB
    SplashID_enUS 1 KB
    SwizNormal 45 KB
    TakePhone 334 KB
    TreoNaviText 11 KB
    TungstenT22 48 KB
    VolumeCare 62 KB

R
    C:

I'll try and clarify:

Full 1.28 GSM ace-palmos.zip is about 17.8 unpacked.
    Custom 1 is about 13.4 MB
    Custom version 2 is about 12.3 MB

Biggest space savings are from the removal of the language files (about 4 MB), and second appears to be from the removal of Versamail. I forget now how much that was. It's posted here somewhere.

I have replaced the removed file size totals by new additions of the approx same total size and it works just fine. (Amount of file size removed = amount that can be added back). The Tool incorrectly reports the ROM file sizes for non-Sprint ROM's, and the file size is supposed to only be used for Sprint phones. Here is the link for the beta V .08 of the Shadowmite Tool.

http://shadowmite.com/T650Tool.zip

It still uses the file size of the ROM for Sprint (so don't count on it for sizing other types of ROMS), however, it is supposed to allow changing the ROM size to 'correct' the size (you need), without the need to exit the program and restart (as I understand). I haven't played around with the new version of the Tool. I just use the file size out = 's or about ='s the allowed file size back in. Some apps compress just a little different, but that makes very little difference in the end.

I added just over 1 MB of what I considered essential prc's to my Version 1 for me. That was much less than the total I removed. I went from about 15.? to 21.? MB free after the ROM change, then with other prc's from the SD card put in RAM, that went back down to about 15, all doing nicely. I then put other associated files/prc's on the SD card and use PowerRun. I battle myself from getting too hungry for a bunch of prc's in the ROM, as the cleared space seems to help with little to no resets.

I have 8 prc's in my ROM (remember, no other file types can be added, including db's):

BackupBuddyPro
    Uninstall
    CardExport (though I don't like it well as it has an unstable USB refresh, requiring PC resets after some use)
    Cleanup
    Converter to use for converting hectares to acres, meters to feet, and kilos of ice-cream ( ) to pounds of consumed ice-cream
    RescoExplorer (I like this app quite a bit)
    ScreenButton (my launcher of choice)

My limited experience has been to do FW updates seperate from a full ROM update, so I don't add that to a custom ROM. FW updates for me have, so far, always gone very smoothly.

I have Splashphoto on my SD card and works well there. No problem regarding the removed language files (though I use English!)

Each to their own. Mind if I post this Q-A up on MyTreo? It's a good question and the size of custom ROM issue is not always very clear. I hope this helps.

Maria
    i previously flashed my FW to 1.31. i do rom flashes whenever i need to add/update an app without the FW flash. it's quite painless and quick. i removed all languages except for enlgihs, world clock, tutorial and real player. i have added quite a few apps to my custom rom. you don't have to worry too much about the size of your custom rom, since if it is too big it will error out without flashing. thus your treo is safe.

I have installed the following into my custom rom:
    Actnames.prc
    BackupbuddyVFS
    CardExport2
    DatavizTech
    Filez
    KBLightsoff
    keyguardtime+
    megacalc
    multiuserhack5
    palminternals
    powerup
    splashid
    takephone + default skin
    treoguard
    volumecare
    zlauncher + skin
  18.    #58  
    Crimsondr:

That's a nice bit in info to know!

Maria
    i need help on this issue, here is what i have done after sitting in the back seat for a while i gathered the guts to take a shot at this.

1. downloaded CUST2 rom
    2 unzipped and opened in the latest TREOTOOL .8 beta
    3 added 8-10 files
    BackupBuddyVFS.prc
    CardExport2.prc
    DateBk5.prc
    Fonts4OS5.prc
    mLights.prc
    RescoExplorer.prc
    RingerSwitch.prc
    SnapperMail.prc
    TakePhone.prc
    TextPlus.prc
    4 did a "build it" after it completed i exit the program
    5 copied the zip and md5 from custom folder to customizer folder
    6 burnt to SD card and hard reset and started the update
    7 update went fine rebooted and i pulled card
    8 reset loop continued forever...
    9 went back to orig CUST2 and all went well
    10 next time i removed more files and tried with only 6 files
    BackupBuddyVFS.prc
    CardExport2.prc
    Fonts4OS5.prc
    mLights.prc
    RescoExplorer.prc
    RingerSwitch.prc
    11 same resyults as # 8

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG
  20.    #60  
    R U making sure to double click any deletion/addition? As a safety, you can check the boot.conf file to make sure your deletions/additions are getting registered correctly.

Your "copied the zip and md5 from custom folder to customizer folder"

You need to copy the newly made zip and md5 file to the Palm/DeviceCustomizer/Treo650.ROW directory, not the Customizer folder, overwriting the old/orig ace-palmos.zip/md5 files.

M
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast