Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    If you're looking for an app to convert DVDs into movies for your Treo, FairUse Wizard is and awesome (and FREE!!) solution. I just discovered the app, and converted my entire Napoleon Dynamite movie into a 240 MB file that is 320 x 232 resolution and 32kbps ogg audio compression. Looks and sounds great in TCPMP!

I use the XviD codec. No sync problems at all. OGG compression is a little better quality than MP3 compression. I had to turn up the volume a bit with the preamp setting in TCPMP, in order to get good volume from the internal speaker, but the sound is decent quality. It's nice to have a free app that does the ripping and converting for you! I was excited and just thought I'd share my findings with you all.

http://www.fairusewizard.com/lang_en/index.html

Cheers,
    Jacob H.
    Jacob, thank's for the suggestion. I have tried several apps for this, and they just didn't work well for me.

Following your suggestion, I used Fair Use Wizard to encode Shark Tale, and then synced TCPMP to my Treo. It was easy, works great, and is free.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Cool, thanks for the suggestion! This looks like a nice alternative to Pocket DVD! With FairUse and PocketDivx encoder, you basically have all you needs convered for video conversion tools!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Can some explain the correct steps for copying a video and reducing the file please. For example, MP3 or OGG, at what number setting? I tried doing this, and the first time I got a huge 5GB file trying to copy Star Wars 1.

I'm obviously doing something wrong. Thanks, Casey
    I tried Fairuse...
    I was really impressed at the quality of the movie!
    It was as simple as it gets.
    I normally use DVDdecoder and pocketdivx...
    But Fair use was easier and actually I think the quality is a little better.

Just my opinion.
    I am going to do "Scarface" today and see if i get the same results...
    This is what there website says: Download the Light Edition for free !

The Light Edition has all the features of the Full Edition except that it doesn't allow for range selection and encodings greater than 700 MB

Although I never converted a movie to view on my Treo, wouldnt 700 be the equivalent of 2 movies?
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex

The Light Edition has all the features of the Full Edition except that it doesn't allow for range selection and encodings greater than 700 MB

Although I never converted a movie to view on my Treo, wouldnt 700 be the equivalent of 2 movies?
    for me its three movies
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex

Hmmm...
    I thought it meant 700Mb at a time, meaning it will do anything that is under 700. With Cd quality sound and the best video a movie could end up being that big of a file... though not likely I imagine.

I will find out though...
    So far i have done "Brown sugar" which was only 200Mb
    I will do "Scarface" tonight and "Diary of a MBW" tomorrow.

I will report back on my progress.
    works great!!! I used it to convert a video podcast and it worked great!!!

Good looking out!!

What is the best resolution to encode a video for the treo at? Isnt it size of the treo screen 320 x 320. So what it is the highest resualtion you can watch a moive at in the 4:3 resolution and the widescreen format?
    Cingular Branded Treo 650
    Firmware: 1.51
    Software: 1.13

----
    JK
    How long did it take to convert a movie?
    What is everyone using to view the movie files? I figured these would be viewable through the Pics and Videos app, but it's not seeing it.

aznmode, it took about two hours to convert Team America last night, but I didn't do anything fancy with it, and my file size was 715Mb when it was done.

Thanks!

Mike
    Nevermind. I just figured out what TCPMP is form reading the first couple of posts. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK2
    aznmode, it took about two hours to convert Team America last night, but I didn't do anything fancy with it, and my file size was 715Mb when it was done.
    Mike
    WHOA!! 715MB? Is there a way to shrink that to like less than 200MB? That's what Pocket DVD normally converts the size to and sometimes even smaller.
    Well, I'm feeling left out since I was beaming about this app months ago and got no big response...
    Anyway, it lets you choose what size to make the file and generally it seems to be around 180 mb or so for a 90 minute or so movie. It automatically chooses an appropriate size but you can manually tell it to shrink it even more.
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode
    WHOA!! 715MB? Is there a way to shrink that to like less than 200MB? That's what Pocket DVD normally converts the size to and sometimes even smaller.
    Using the FairUse Wizard, you basically need to adjust four settings. The rest seem to automatically adjust. My settings:

1. File size: 245 megs
    2. Video: 320x176
    3. Audio: 32 kb/s
    4. Audio format: Ogg

Those settings work well for me.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTreoGuy
    Anyway, it lets you choose what size to make the file and generally it seems to be around 180 mb or so for a 90 minute or so movie. It automatically chooses an appropriate size but you can manually tell it to shrink it even more.
    I guess I'll try a smaller file size than the 240 megs I am choosing now.

I'm surprised at how good the video quality appears on the Treo 650.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTreoGuy
    Well, I'm feeling left out since I was beaming about this app months ago and got no big response...
    You did. I downloaded it and tried it out. Sadly at the time I didn't have enough free space on my hard drive to make it work.

Now I do, and it's workin just fine!

Thanks to both you and jacobh
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Ever since I read the "Best experience...." thread here, I've been using DVDDecoder and Auto Gordian Knot (got them both for free). I've gotten into a ritual for my business travels. Go to Blockbuster, rent a movie I want, decode to HD, encode to 175MB (total time: just under 4 hours), watch movie on trip, erase all files when I get home.

I have no problem with being a "temporary DVD pirate". I paid for the week's rental; I'll watch where and how I want during that time.

I have truly enjoyed watching movies on my 650. It's a jaw-dropper for my fellow travelers.
    Recognizing that I volunteered...
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Using the FairUse Wizard, you basically need to adjust four settings. The rest seem to automatically adjust. My settings:

1. File size: 245 megs
    2. Video: 320x176
    3. Audio: 32 kb/s
    4. Audio format: Ogg

Those settings work well for me.
    Cool. I knew there was a way to make them smaller. My experience was in simply loading the software and running it. I always try that approach first.

For those using TCPMP, I tried installing the MPEG4 and MP3 CODEC for TCPMP, but it keeps telling me that the CODEC is not supported by the player. It says that for both CODEC's, and I'm using the 0.66 release. Can anyone help there? Now, since I'm at work, I installed the files from an email I sent my Treo and not using the normal installation method for .prc files. Could that be the issue?

Thanks!

Mike
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast