Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bob: Thanks for the NTSC info.

Wareynolds: How do I overclock the player? Do you mean the TCPMP player, or my Pocket DVD Studio burner?

Here's an update: I've reburned Star Wars 1 several times using different configurations, and have different results each time using Pocket DVD Studio. I have come to the conclusion that burning a large 500 MB file such as Star Wars 1, at the maximum quality setting and at a faster rate of 20, 25, 30 frames per second, this actually makes the viewing quality worse! The faster the frame rate burning, the worse the momentary pauses and freezes throughout the entire movie. Conversely, burning a large 500 MB (maximum quality setting) Star Wars movie at 15 frames per second produced the smoothest playback quality with no pauses or freezes.

I'm beginning to think that the total output size is a factor in terms of optimum choice for frames per second. For example, using the same Star Wars movie example, if I just burn a small portion of the movie, say the last battle scene, the movie looks fine with no pauses using 20 or 25 frames per second setting. If I burn other different movies using only a small portion of it (not the entire movie), it's also okay to use 20 or 25 frames per second. But if I burn large movies at 30 frames per second, then I get the problem of pauses and freezes throughout the movie. I find this strange. I don't know if the problem lies with my software, computer, or even the movie CD.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    It's not the size of the file... it's the size per second of the file. 30fps is more data per second that 20 or 25. At some point you reach the maximum ability of the Treo/TCPMP to handle the throughput (the hose is too small).

You could overclock the Treo itself (search for threads), to increase the Treo's speed which would increase the throughput. This will cost you in battery life though. (don't know firsthand because you can't overclock a 600)

Or reduce either the fps or the resolution.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Santa,

Thanks for the info. So the limitation/problem lies within the Treo 650 and/or TCPMP player? If that's true, then I'm glad I didn't go out buying other burning software hoping for improved faster frames per second playback.

So overclocking has to do with tweaking the Treo's innards to make things faster? I don't really feel like messing with my Treo's internal organs for fear of a short circuit.

For now, I'll just accept the fact that I have to tweak settings differently for each movie.

By the way, something else I noticed. For Star Wars-A New Hope, I got better viewing results when burning at +1 Brightness level setting with my Pocket Studio DVD burning program. Star Wars is noticeably a bit too dark for most of the movie, but the +1 Brightness level improves viewing. I don't know if this brightness problem has to do with my mLights program, which I've also tested...but don't think so. What's weird is that other different movies are just fine at the default brightness setting of 0 (zero), just Star Wars is too dark unless I brighten it.

Sooooo many variables to consider when burning a movie!! Am I getting too picky??
    -CC
    Anyone know why I cannot download TCPMP from anywhere? None of the sites want to load.
    "Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere... Write that down."
    -Van Wilder
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    Lastly, I have the following problem with the TCPMP program: Pressing the >> or << does absolutely nothing for rewinding or forwarding the movie. Pressing either of these always restarts the movie back at the beginning. Is this normal? The only thing that works is tapping on different points along the slider bar to rewind or forward.

Does the << or >> boxes work for you in TCPMP ??

Thanks, CC.
    If you open multiple files, these skip to the next file (probably best for music).
    Bmacforland,

Aaaah, yes, you are so right!! The << and >> go back and forth to different movies if multiple movies are checked for opening. Boy, this was really a mystery for me for the past week!

Thanks, Casey.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    What is the cost of the program in US Dollars? Thanks
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Never mind I figured it out. About $12 bucks. What a steal.
    Hiya peeps ^_^/. I too had a problem with convertin movies from Fairuse. It works on majority but the problmes I had came from Sony Pictures movies *Hitch and House of Flying Daggers*. When I tired to copy them, it just froze up. Other than that, it is great to see Lord of the Rings, Hero anywhere . Now from my lil experiences, play around with the file size and look up at the ###Kbps. To have it play pretty smoothly, I always have it ranged from 240-260 and of course, always make sure that the movie screen size equals to the 320x320 or less, anything more will take more battery life from trying to compress it to fit the screen .
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    How do you get your movies to Your SD. I have a Zcover, so using my Card reader is a hassle. I tried Hotsync and it renamed the file. Do I just name it back to *.avi?

Also, what is the name of the program that treats your Treo like a Card reader through hotsync cable? Thanks!
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz
    always make sure that the movie screen size equals to the 320x320 or less, anything more will take more battery life from trying to compress it to fit the screen .
    How do you get the program to output exactly 320x320?
    Well I have a card reader (bought a 5-in-1 sandisk memory card reader). That helps out alot. Speed is pretty good, takes about 4 mins to bring a 500MB file to the card. I think you can hotsync with the quick install, just be sure to go ahead and drop the file in the card area. I don't know why it would rename it though...renamed it to what?
    Quote Originally Posted by kronium
    How do you get your movies to Your SD. I have a Zcover, so using my Card reader is a hassle. I tried Hotsync and it renamed the file. Do I just name it back to *.avi?

Also, what is the name of the program that treats your Treo like a Card reader through hotsync cable? Thanks!
    Palm File Browser is the free one....but you're prolly better off with hassling to remove the ZCover case.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carljoerger
    Where do you adjust the video resolution (300x176)?
    It seems that the resoultions the program makes available are based on your croppping(or 4:3 3:2) and other options you choose.

Still trying to figure out how to get 320x320 resolution.

LupeValenz, since TCPMP has a white border around the screen, wouldn't you need a file smaller than 320x320? Anyway find a way to remove the border on a treo 650?
    Last edited by kronium; 07/26/2005 at 04:14 AM.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Sorry, I found out that the actual display is 324x324 but only 320x320 can be displayed. Looks like a hardware issue. Oh well, TCPMP still kicks ***.
    Quote Originally Posted by kronium
    How do you get the program to output exactly 320x320?
    Well you can't, it all depends on the movies. The program will list you an option of what is avaliable. Like for example I had a movie that is 320x286, just have to get what is close to the 320x320 screen size
  17. EWT
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    How do you adjust FPS in Fair Use?
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz
    Well you can't, it all depends on the movies. The program will list you an option of what is avaliable. Like for example I had a movie that is 320x286, just have to get what is close to the 320x320 screen size
    I think you can depending on your cropping adjustments. Too bad there's no 1:1 ratio. So for now you have to eyeball it to get it as square as possible. I'll post the question on the FairUse forum.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123