1.    #1  
    hey, i just recently found out that "true" push isnt covered with chattermail to POP3. How much lag time would you expect if I forward the POP3 to a IMAP account? The user im doing this for is looking for a blackberry type expirence, so minimal lag between email would be great. Is chattermail the best tool for this or should I just stick with versamail?
    I am currently forwarding my gmail to a fastmail (IMAP) account. I haven't seen any lag time at all.

If you want push, get Chatter.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    You can't push POP.
    As to lag time, you won't notice any if you forward. I have my gmail forwarded to fastmail. I generally get the message on my Treo before my gmail notifier goes off in my taskbar.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by retrostyle
    Is chattermail the best tool for this or should I just stick with versamail?
    Chatter is king.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I also have my free gmail forwarded to fastmail using chatter. I spent a 1 time fee of 15.00 to get fastmail to allow me to respond to email but it was a small price to pay for a perfect system with a 5 second lag time.
    I do the same thing as those above.
    i have my qsync set up to 1min...but then again i did 193MB of data last month, so i changed that...and reduced the number of lines to get when synching with my POP3 account over chatter
    The only limitation to fastmail is that you can only pop max every 3 hrs i believe with the free/member accounts:

http://www.fastmail.fm/pages/fastmai...ricingtbl.html

Thus there will be at max a 3hr lag between you pop inbox and fastmail in worst case senario...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I'm trying my best to understand all of this stuff....I just got my treo 650 yesterday. I kind of understand all this talk about "chatter mail" and "fast mail" (not completely). However my question is this.....If I forward my mail from my POP3 account (work account) to an IMAP account (for push email purposes), when I respond to these emails, will my work email address show up? This is important as I dont want a different address to show up when I'm responding to my emails. If this is the case.....could anyone suggest to me a "push email" solution that will maintain my original address?? Thanks
    Use your work accounts outgoing smtp server.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Thanks for the quick response. However, I'm not a very tech savy. Could you explain this a little clearer. How do I do this? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    The only limitation to fastmail is that you can only pop max every 3 hrs i believe with the free/member accounts:

http://www.fastmail.fm/pages/fastmai...ricingtbl.html

Thus there will be at max a 3hr lag between you pop inbox and fastmail in worst case senario...
    That's why you would try and set the other account to forward to the fastmail account as opposed to having fastmail pop the email.

-----

Pop by definition is a system where a client checks the server for email. Imap is where the server notifies the client of new email. Imaps true beauty is that you can have the client and the server syncronized so that what's done on one is reflected on the other. This is especially nice when you use multiple clients, ala chatter on the treo and something else on the desktop.

What you want to do, is create an account at fastmail and then set whatever email service you use to forward all emails to your new fastmail account. Then set up chatter to access the fastmail account via imap.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by AriesKing
    I'm trying my best to understand all of this stuff....I just got my treo 650 yesterday. I kind of understand all this talk about "chatter mail" and "fast mail" (not completely). However my question is this.....If I forward my mail from my POP3 account (work account) to an IMAP account (for push email purposes), when I respond to these emails, will my work email address show up? This is important as I dont want a different address to show up when I'm responding to my emails. If this is the case.....could anyone suggest to me a "push email" solution that will maintain my original address?? Thanks
    AriesKing: go into chatter and set up your imap account with fastmail.

Then under the edit smtp profile...you put your work email settings in like:
    server
    login name
    password
    return address
    full name
    reply to address
    signature

If you put your work stuff in for those...then the emails will send from your treo but it will look like it was sent from your work pc.

I even created a folder on fastmail so when I send a 'work' email, it copies it in that sent folder so I can go back later and resend it/keep it for record purposes.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve