1.    #1  
    I recently made the switch from PC to Mac, and I'm loving every minute of it. I wasn't expecting to have much success linking my Treo 650 to my iMac, but it synced fine to Palm Desktop.

Now. I made sure I got the latest Palm Desktop off the Palm site (just this morning). I also made sure I ran all my Mac software updates. But whatever I do, I can't get iSync to complete installation of its conduit into Hotsync ("Enable PalmOS Syncing..."). It says "The Hotsync software is not properly installed or it has never been opened." Neither of which is true.

Is this a known issue? There was a tech note on the Palm page for Mac Palm Desktop, but it seemed more a sporadic issue than, you know, a complete non-starter.

Meanwhile, I read here about Missing Sync and e2sync being common third-party tools... is iSync by Apple basically a non-starter?
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Hi
    it depends on what you want to sync. If you want to sync with iCal and Apple address book, then you need iSync. if you sync with Entourage, then you dont.. Try downloading the latest palm desktop from the palm site, and reinstalling palm desktop. it should work OK with iSync. Missing Sync works OK too but if you install missing Link, it replaces palm's hotsync manager with its own , and subsequent attempts to hotsync from palm desktop will give the error message you describe. Also make sure you have the latest version of iSync....
    Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon
    I recently made the switch from PC to Mac, and I'm loving every minute of it. I wasn't expecting to have much success linking my Treo 650 to my iMac, but it synced fine to Palm Desktop.

Now. I made sure I got the latest Palm Desktop off the Palm site (just this morning). I also made sure I ran all my Mac software updates. But whatever I do, I can't get iSync to complete installation of its conduit into Hotsync ("Enable PalmOS Syncing..."). It says "The Hotsync software is not properly installed or it has never been opened." Neither of which is true.

Is this a known issue? There was a tech note on the Palm page for Mac Palm Desktop, but it seemed more a sporadic issue than, you know, a complete non-starter.

Meanwhile, I read here about Missing Sync and e2sync being common third-party tools... is iSync by Apple basically a non-starter?
    I have exactly the same problem with my Treo600 and Mac OS Tiger:
    When I try that iSync activates syncronization with Palm device, I get the message "The HotSync software is not properly installed or it has never been opened".
    I have latest versions of all. Have you fixed that?

stradivari
  4.    #4  
    I've now seen forum posts all over the web for this particular problem. So it's not just us! A lot of folks are coming up with solutions that involve command-line UNIX commands to change ownership permissions of Library folders.

I decided that I didn't want to wait for Apple to fix it, and paid for The Missing Sync. I still had to do conduit moving by hand in the end (iSync would say it disabled this and that conduit and move them to "iSync Disabled Conduits," but they never went anywhere -- so I did it myself). After that? Happiness.
    I too had the same problem, but found a fix on the apple forums, seems to work fine afterwards

http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...O0.1@.68b43e84
    Quote Originally Posted by quaffers
    I too had the same problem, but found a fix on the apple forums, seems to work fine afterwards

http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...O0.1@.68b43e84
    This matter is being so discouraging...

Well, I got the permissions activated without a third part application.
    I got iSync recognize the Palm device.
    I got some conduits transferred to the Disabled Conduits folder.

But now, when I use iSync to syncronize, the bar doesn't arrive to the end, although it says the syncronizing has been a success.

Do I have to use iSync to syncronize? Do I have to use the button in my Palm cable? Do I have to make some changes in my Treo? Do I have to deactivate HotSync?

I don't understand a thing of this matter. I'm happy with my brand new iMac, but things this kind were so easy with my PC...

Well, thanks in advance!

beatstradivari
    I was having similar problems. I saw a tip on the Mac forum that suggested creating a bluetooth hotsync link first and then swithching to cable. I tried it and it worked. I in the set up for bluetooth sync, you enable sync for this device. It seems that once that has been established, things work properly again.
    OK...no joy so far. I've tried this on a bare-nuked phone, as well. If I take my VZW 650 and try to perform a Bluetooth sync to my Mac, I can find the Mac on the BT screen on the 650 and create the link. When I run the HotSync, it fails with 'Port is in use by another application' on the *Treo*. No log (on mac or treo) shows any other information. The Treo will sync fine w/iSync over USB to that same Mac. Trying to set up the Treo from the Mac's BT assistant finds the phone, but of course won't set up iSync, it shows up as 'no capabilities' presumably because of VZW crippleware.

Help?

-Sierran
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierran
    When I run the HotSync, it fails with 'Port is in use by another application' on the *Treo*. No log (on mac or treo) shows any other information.
    I got this "Port is in use" error on my Treo over the weekend when I was setting up bluetooth hot sync, and couldn't figure out how to resolve it. Out of sheer frustration, I did a soft reset on the Treo -- after that, the Treo connected to my powerbook via bluetooth without any problems.

Perhaps a soft reset is worth a try?