1.    #1  
    After going away for a while, I am back. Very proud to say I am finally a treo 650 owner. After only using it for a day, I don't know what the heck took me so long.

I do have some general questions, since i have been out of the loop for a while:

1. email/outlook client. is there one that actually will connect to a exchange server, not activesync server (i think this is how versamail does it).
    2. best VPN client. Mergic is cheaper (30 vs 100), and the trial seems to be working for me. any advantages with the other one (i forgot the name), other than ipsec support?
    3. in your opinion, what are the MUST have apps, free is better...but will pay if i can justify.
    4. is the bluetooth limited to hotsync and handsfree?

i did a couple of searches and got really off topic, so i figured i would say "hi" and ask a few ?'s in one post. i apoligize for the questions that seem like they should be common knowledge.

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny
    4. is the bluetooth limited to hotsync and handsfree?
    If you have Sprint, check to see if you have firmware 1.12 which incorporates Bt DUN.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    You can also try reading up on the Suggested threads for Treo 650 users
    The mergic VPN is rock solid, and allows you to configure multiple VPN connects. It works well, no reason to spend more money. You dont say who your provider is, but to use VPN on Cingular's network, you must use the isp.cingular AP, not wap.cingular.

AS for syncing to an exchange server, do you want to do mail folders or contacts and calendar as well. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $you$ $need$ $to$ $have$ $Exchange$ $Server$ $2003$ $to$ $do$ $a$ $full$ $sync$ $to$ $everything$. $If$ $all$ $you$ $are$ $looking$ $for$ $is$ $mail$, $I$ $am$ $using$ $Snappermail$ $Enterprise$ $and$ $using$ $IMAP4$ $support$. ($you$ $have$ $to$ $have$ $the$ $enterprise$ $version$ $for$ $IMAP$). $I$ $tried$ $Versamail$ $and$ $found$ $too$ $many$ $problems$ $with$ $sub$ $folder$ $support$ $with$ $IMAP$. $But$ $you$ $can$ $not$ $argue$ $with$ $the$ $price$ $of$ $Versamail$ ($free$).

I did not know you were gone, but welcome back.
    Carl
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlGalgano
    The mergic VPN is rock solid, and allows you to configure multiple VPN connects. It works well, no reason to spend more money. You dont say who your provider is, but to use VPN on Cingular's network, you must use the isp.cingular AP, not wap.cingular.

AS for syncing to an exchange server, do you want to do mail folders or contacts and calendar as well. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $you$ $need$ $to$ $have$ $Exchange$ $Server$ $2003$ $to$ $do$ $a$ $full$ $sync$ $to$ $everything$. $If$ $all$ $you$ $are$ $looking$ $for$ $is$ $mail$, $I$ $am$ $using$ $Snappermail$ $Enterprise$ $and$ $using$ $IMAP4$ $support$. ($you$ $have$ $to$ $have$ $the$ $enterprise$ $version$ $for$ $IMAP$). $I$ $tried$ $Versamail$ $and$ $found$ $too$ $many$ $problems$ $with$ $sub$ $folder$ $support$ $with$ $IMAP$. $But$ $you$ $can$ $not$ $argue$ $with$ $the$ $price$ $of$ $Versamail$ ($free$).

I did not know you were gone, but welcome back.
    i have sprint, and the mergic client seems to be holding up well. there is an issue connecting to my linux machines, but i think that is a config issue i have to work on (vnc). i am running 2003 for an exchange server, but the mobile device support is off (active sync server). That is why i was wondering if any clients can talk to the directly to the exchange server like outlook does (that may be way to much overhead, however?).
    in my perfect workd, i would like to sync everything to my treo, then when i sync back to my computer not have duplicates or mail that i have gone through.

as for being gone...i was around quite a bit last fall and winter, but fell off the face of the earth. I finally got my treo and i am back. most people remember me as the person pawning the free ipod crap with my sig. i am happy to say, they really did send one to me, free. brand new, no advertising engraving, and i use it everyday

atlanta, i will be there in oct for the vikes/falcons game!