1.    #1  
    I have to start by saying that I think the Treo is a great device with a great future. My issue is how fragile this thing is.

I purchased a Treo 600 about a month ago and immediately cracked the screen using the PalmOne holster that has the screen facing outward. Bell Mobility was able to replace it in two days for $200. The new one lasted about two weeks when it popped out of it's holster (I purchased a new holster, one that faces protects the screen) and it fell from my belt to the floor of my F-150 (about 30cm drop onto plastic)...again breaking the screen. This time it too another almost three weeks to replace along with another $200. I had it replaced yesterday and by the time I had flown from Toronto to Chicago it the screen had developed vertical lines that would go away if I slapped the phone against my leg. Well you guessed it. Less than 24 hrs after it was replaced the screen had cracked from being slapped against my leg.

Is it just me or is this ridiculous? I've owned a Palm V, Vx and 515, all of which are still running strong with their current owners, and have never seen problems like these. My Vx and 515 were so thin that I'd often carry them in my back pocket without incident. This Treo falls apart if it's feelings are hurt.

I really don't know what to do. With this replacement I'll have paid for another phone! Should I go with a Blackberry or go back to carrying a bag of gadgets?
    If you don't mind, why didn't you purchase the 650?

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Lets see...it looks like you replaced the screen four different times at $200 a piece. Hmm...I think I would have given up by now (that or carry the T600 in the otterbox).
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    i own a tire center....my 600 and 650 both fell off counters...got hit by wrenches....and even fell out of shirt pockets and survived this harsh climate.....guess you've just run into bad luck.....
    "Yet each man kills the thing he loves, from all let this be heard. Some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word. The coward does it with a kiss the brave man with the sword."
    -- Oscar Wilde
    I've had my 600 since November 2003. I use a modicum of care, I carry it in an Innopocket hard case. I've dropped it several times, some hardenough to pop the SD card or SIM card loose.
    I guess I'll keep it.
  6.    #6  
    My provider (Bell Mobility) doesn't offer the 650, only the 600.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll try one more time before driving down to PalmOne headquarters (wherever it is) and having the lead designer explain why this is happening before I cram it up his arse. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by TayeDrummer
    My provider (Bell Mobility) doesn't offer the 650, only the 600.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll try one more time before driving down to PalmOne headquarters (wherever it is) and having the lead designer explain why this is happening before I cram it up his arse. :P
    I wonder what they'll say. if the screen is cracking cause yer slappin' it around, I don't know if they'll do much. BUT it just doesn't seem right that it would go kaput that quickly.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    I dropped my Treo 650 4 feet in the air on hard concrete and it manage to stay alive with minimal scratches. Tuff as freaking nails. I was lucky it landed a good bounce. I guess any straight pressure on the screen itself would break even the strongest device.
  9.    #9  
    I've had a number of Palm devices. My Vx and 515 were so thin that I'd often carry them in my back pocket without a problem. Dropping 30cm from my belt to the plastic covering between the seat and the door resulting in another cracked screen just isn't right.
    Get insurance for your phone.

I've had my 600 since October. Simple case.. Optional cover for the screen but I don't bother with it.
    The screen will likely crack when shoved up that guys arse though....
    Look up PDAparts.com and maybe you could save some money on the screens.
  13.    #13  
    While the cost of the (constant) replacements is significant it's not as serious as how crippled you are while on the road without e-mail, contact list, schedule and having a semi-functioning phone. I decided to cut my losses and go with a Blackberry 7250 and have been really happy with the choice.

My experience so far:
    • The RIM device is MUCH MUCH MUCH more rugged and comes with a holster that protects the screen. I can't believe I paid $39 for the PalmOne leather holster that has the screen facing out and was the cause of my first cracked screen, making it a $239 holster.

• I find the Blackberry keyboard much easier to use which means faster thumb entry.

• Did I mention it's much more rugged?

• There isn't as much 3rd party software for the BB but it had the most useful utilities pre-installed so I'm not having to pay $20 for an alarm clock that every cell phone made in the last 5 years has had built in.

• Not having as much 3rd party software means no more crashing. I don't know if the RIM OS is stronger, if the programmers are better or if they have little fairies in each device to keep it working. So far no crashes regardless.

• BTW it's more rugged.

• While it doesn't have the built-in speaker phone of the Treo it does have Bluetooth.

• The wheel takes a bit of getting used to after being a eight year Palm owner but after about a day I got the hang of it and find it better than the five way nav of the Treo but not better than using a stylus.

Over all I'm kind of sad to see my Palm device go as I've been a faithful user for many years but I feel that the Treo is a ridiculously fragile device (see the numerous posts on this forum alone for replacement screens) and not made for life in the real world. I'll be making two e-bay auctions once the replacement 600 arrives. One for the phone and one for all the accessories including a 2Gb card.
    Treo 600: The most fragile device ever made?

No
    Quote Originally Posted by TayeDrummer
    • There isn't as much 3rd party software for the BB but it had the most useful utilities pre-installed so I'm not having to pay $20 for an alarm clock that every cell phone made in the last 5 years has had built in.
    Where, praytell, did you find a Treo 600 without an alarm?