Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    I tried to drag a movie from th "My music" folder of my pc to the Quick Install and it did not work on both the card section and the handheld section.

Then I opened the Media section of the Palm Desktop and dragged it there (which took a while) but upon hotsync, nothing.

What am I missing/doing wrong
    Get an SD card reader. Place the movies, in their raw unmodified format, onto the card. Use TCPMP to play the moves off the card.

The method you are using will take the movie in it's native format and convert it to ASF, reducing quality, size, and framerate but making it playable in Pics/Videos.
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    Get an SD card reader. Place the movies, in their raw unmodified format, onto the card. Use TCPMP to play the moves off the card.

The method you are using will take the movie in it's native format and convert it to ASF, reducing quality, size, and framerate but making it playable in Pics/Videos.
    Evilghost, I've seen a lot of your posts and can tell how smart you are about tech stuff so please don't be offended by my upcoming questions, which likely will prove to be a stupid one.

What is a card reader? Is it software? Does it attch to the computer? How do I place the movies on the card itself using this card reader?
    Hey dude, no problem. The only thing I get tired of are people who are completely unwilling to attempt to find an answer or do something. You tried, it didn't work, you came here for help. You didn't understand my answer, no harm no foul.

Most card readers are USB, and act as a simple conversion device, allowing you to plug a SD Card "directly" into the computer. Windows, if you are unlucky enough to be using it (read-as, I don't like Microsoft), will see the card reader and assign it a drive letter, like your C:\ or D:\. It will often times also label it as "Removable Media".

From there, you can simply drag-drop the movie directly to the card, remove it from the card-reader, and place it back in the Treo. Then use TCPMP to browse to the card to play the file.

I hope this helped, and if further clarification is needed let me know. I promise I won't flame you
    Quote Originally Posted by slthree
    What is a card reader? Is it software? Does it attch to the computer? How do I place the movies on the card itself using this card reader?
    Option B.

If you don't have a card reader, you won't need to buy one if you run this software on your treo.

http://www.softick.com/cardexport2/

You connect the treo to your PC with the hotsync cable.
    You run the software.
    You click the connect button in the program displayed on your Treo screen.

A drive will show up on your PC which is the SD card that is in your treo. You can now copy any files directly to the SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmbritton
    Option B.

If you don't have a card reader, you won't need to buy one if you run this software on your treo.

http://www.softick.com/cardexport2/

You connect the treo to your PC with the hotsync cable.
    You run the software.
    You click the connect button in the program displayed on your Treo screen.

A drive will show up on your PC which is the SD card that is in your treo. You can now copy any files directly to the SD card.
    Option C (heh).

Free, kind of like "FTP" for the Treo, and I think does the same thing as CardExport2. See http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-...m_File_Browser which is what I use when I don't have my SD reader handy.

See http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...ght=filepc2pda for some good information.
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    Most card readers are USB, and act as a simple conversion device, allowing you to plug a SD Card "directly" into the computer. Windows, if you are unlucky enough to be using it (read-as, I don't like Microsoft), will see the card reader and assign it a drive letter, like your C:\ or D:\. It will often times also label it as "Removable Media".

From there, you can simply drag-drop the movie directly to the card, remove it from the card-reader, and place it back in the Treo. Then use TCPMP to browse to the card to play the file.
    Thanks for the quick help. I'm still a little confused. What I think is that I have to plug the reader in to the pc drag a movie to the reader while the card is plugged in to the reader?

O.K., I went to the treo store and saw 3 card readers. The third one looked like I could slide a cadr into it but did'nt look like it had a usb plug so I'm not sure how it would connect to the computer. The 1st 2 did have a usb plug but did'nt seem like you could slip a card in them.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    I don't want to sound cruel, but if you're confused about a simple SD Card reader how do you manage to operate the Treo? Buy one of these:

http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Brows...e=1&Sku=515454

Install it on your computer. Insert the SD Card into the card reader. It's just like any other drive on your computer. Copy your movie to the card. Put the card back in the Treo. Play the movie in TCPMP.
    Does anyone know if TCPMP can be installed to the SD card and run from it? I tried this, but kept getting error messages of missing files (mpeg 3,4, etc). TCPMP worked on my internal memory, but not from the card. Thanks, Casey.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Works fine for me on the card. Are you sure have the plugins(mp3, mpeg4, etc...)installed on the card as well?
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    Does anyone know if TCPMP can be installed to the SD card and run from it? I tried this, but kept getting error messages of missing files (mpeg 3,4, etc). TCPMP worked on my internal memory, but not from the card. Thanks, Casey.
    Works fine from the card. I moved it to my SD Card with PowerRun.
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon
    I don't want to sound cruel, but if you're confused about a simple SD Card reader how do you manage to operate the Treo? Buy one of these:

http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Brows...e=1&Sku=515454

Install it on your computer. Insert the SD Card into the card reader. It's just like any other drive on your computer. Copy your movie to the card. Put the card back in the Treo. Play the movie in TCPMP.
    That doesn't sound too cruel. Believe it or not, the people around me think I'm a gadget guru! I love my 650, run it very well, mostly thanks to the good folks here who teach me a lot. I like to think I'm not the only person who did not know what a card reader is. So I asked the question, received great and helpful replies (including yours), and I'm ready to go.

Thanks for the link to Staples.
    I finally got TCPMP to work on my Treo 650!! I successfully installed 2 different videos to my SD card, one video a large 500mb file, and another video a smaller 75mb file.

On the smaller 75mb file, the TCPMP player will properly advance forward and backward when clicking on the slider bar. It will also remember its same place if I press Play to pause, go to another application, then go back to the player again.

However, on the larger 500mb file, it will **NOT** advance forward or backward. Nor will it remember its place if I go to another application and return to the player...it will always restart back to the beginning again. Very frustrating! The only thing it can do correctly with the larger video is to press Play to pause, and press Play again to re-continue. But any interruption at all, such as an incoming phone call, or going to another application, will re-start the video from the beginning again! So annoying!

I'm sure I've read other posts about the same problem I described. Is there an answer to this problem? Please explain.

Also, I download MM Player, thinking it might be able to properly advance and rewind my videos, especially the larger 500mb video. On the smaller 75mb file, MM Player works just fine. However, on my larger 500mb video, it would not open or recognize the file at all. Maybe because the app was only a demo shareware?? I was frustrated again!

By the way, after unsuccessfully trying to figure out a couple of free desktop video compression/transfer apps, such as by FairUse, I gave up and bought a program called Pocket DVD Studio for $32 at Handango. Handango advertised this program as being easy to use even for dummies. After failing for 2 days with the other (free) programs, I felt like a dummy, so I went for it. I must say, Pocket DVD Studio really is easy to use! Very intuitive, and didn't have to read the manual at all. Best of all, it actually worked correctly for me the very first time!!

The larger 500mb file size I referred to earlier is Star Wars-A New Hope. I wanted to see how good the quality is by having it at the highest maximum setting for audio and visual. Damn!!! The quality is stunning on my Treo 650! It's as if I popped in a DVD into my Treo because the quality is sooooo good! With my Seido stereo headphones, the sound was just ear popping!! I'm truly amazed at the quality. Now, if TCPMP can properly do forward and backward playing, I would be all set.

Thanks, Casey
    guys. i tried everything. i have moved mpegs from my PC to the Treo 650 with a USB SD card reader. I moved them (the way Treo guide says for music) with the real player link. I moved them from the Palm Install application.

I used pocket divx encoder as well to try and convert the file. It just places a smaller file on my PC... how do I move this & play it?

Sometimes I get just audio. Other times, neither the video or audio will play.

Can someone help me out here with a step by step? Incidentally I have installed the mp3, mpeg1 and mpeg4 plugins of TCPMP as well.

Heeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllppppppp..
    Nandieux,

I'm not sure what you are doing, but here is what works for ME below. Hopefully this will work for you too:

1) Burn a DVD movie using Pocket DVD Studio (or whatever program that works for you). When finished burning, the movie file gets automatically dumped into a predetermined empty folder on my desktop. The burned movie file shows up as a RealPlayer file (don't know why). If I happen to double click on the file, the movie will also play on my desktop computer.

2) Insert my SD card into my desktop computer using the computer's built in SD card reader on my Hewlett Packard desktop computer. Open "My Computer" and double click on "H" drive which corresponds to my SD card slot. A folder opens which displays everything inside my SD card. I find the folder listed as "DCIM" (don't ask what this means...don't know). Then open the DCIM folder. Leave this DCIM folder open while doing the next step. (BY THE WAY, SEE THE "PS:" NOTE AT BOTTOM OF MESSAGE IF YOU CANNOT FIND THE DCIM FOLDER).

3) Open the folder on my desktop computer that is holding the burned (RealPlayer) movie as mentioned previously. Click once on the movie file to highlight, then right click to "Copy" the movie file. (You can also go to "Edit" then "Copy" at top of computer task bar).

4) Go back to the opened "DCIM" folder that has been previously opened. Click once at an empty spot inside the DCIM folder, and right click to "Paste" the copied movie file (You can also go to "Edit" then "Paste" at the top of the folder). The important thing is that you are copying the movie to this DCIM folder. The process of copying and pasting the movie file usually takes between 5 to 15 minutes depending on how large the movie file is. You will see some type of timer progress bar showing how many minutes the copying function will take. When done copying, you will see the movie file listed inside the DCIM folder.

5) When movie is done copying to the DCIM folder, then close the folder by "X"ing out of it. Also close the entire folder for the SD card by "X"ing out of everything. Then simply remove the SD card from out of the card reader. By the way, it's okay to leave the original movie file on your desktop folder if you want--or delete it if you wish. However, in my particular case, I must have an EMPTY folder prior to burning a movie, otherwise my Pocket DVD Studio program will give me an error message. I can just simply drag the burned movie out of the folder, and into my desktop computer, which I do.

6) Stick your SD card into your Treo. Open up the TCPMP player. Tap the top left corner to get the menu screen and click on "Open files". On my own Treo, at the top left corner, it shows: "Select-slot2://DCIM" and then lists all the various movie files below. There are boxes to the left of each movie. Simply click on one of the boxes to highlight a movie(s) you want to see, then press the "OK" box. You should now see the 1st image frame of the movie. Then press the "Play" button to view the movie. If you want to fast forward or rewind the movie, simply click on different points along the horizontal slider bar. For me personally, the bottons "<<" and ">>" do NOT work at all for forwarding or rewinding the movie. This must be a bug, as I've seen the same problem with another different Treo owner using TCPMP.

By the way, all my 15 different TCPMP files reside in the SD card in a folder called "Launcher" I think--if I remember correctly. Make sure your 15 different TCPMP files also reside within the "Launcher" folder within your SD card. Simply stick your SD card into your card reader and open up the folders to double check this.

PS: I don't remember exactly, but prior to opening the "DCIM" folder on the SD card, it's possible you might have to first open the "Palm" folder, which will then display the "DCIM" folder within. I don't remember if this is necessary, as I'm not at my own computer at the moment. This is all from memory.

Okay, I think I've given very detailed instructions above. This whole process can be a little confusing, but once you figured it out the first time, it becomes very easy thereafter. Hopefully this helps.

-Casey
    Copy to your SD disk. You can make a folder called video if you wish under palm.
    Open TCPMP on Palm.
    Go to menu Open Files.
    Click on the up folder top left and then select the folder where you placed the movies.
    If they end in .mp4 or other formats that tcpcp supports then you shoudl see them.
    Click on a file and press ok.
    To be safe you coudl just isntall all plugisn that came with the download so you don't have to guess.
    Guys
    help needed here AGAIN. I can now get the files onto my SD card, and TCPMP will play the videos. But as soon as I launch a video, I get the message "ERROR: PLAYER: AUDIO CODEC (IMA ADPCM, 0011) NOT SUPPORTED BY THE PLAYER!"

Once I click OK to this message, TCPMP plays the video, but with no sound.
    Anyone experienced this? Any suggestions?
    In your DVD capture program (or whatever you're saving movies in) set the audio to MPEG-4 or some other format that TCPMP supports. Check the supported lists of audio formats for TCPMP. I's likely there's a preference or setting in your DVD program when saving the movie file to save in one of those formats.
    Just read my step by step instructions on how to rip a DVD for free in the other thread.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by slthree
    I tried to drag a movie from th "My music" folder of my pc to the Quick Install and it did not work on both the card section and the handheld section.

Then I opened the Media section of the Palm Desktop and dragged it there (which took a while) but upon hotsync, nothing.

What am I missing/doing wrong
    I have mmplayer and cannot even get it to load. Perhaps I should try TCPMP.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast