Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After following these posts, I've got Ptunes on my 650 and use it every day at the gym as my MP3 player. I've loaded my own music but there are times I'd like to buy a song. What is the preferred site to purchase songs to listen to on my 650?

Thanks
    To listen to it on your Treo, you'll have to get a copy of the song without digital rights management. There are a few ways to do this, the only clearly legal way is to go buy the cd and copy it off there. Murkier ways include buying a song online and then burning it to a cd and then copying it from there. Illegal ways include copying from a friend or file sharing service.
    I borrow from my friends at limewire.
  4. iso
    To buy music from an excellent selection, at ridicolous low prices, and without DRM, go to www.allofmp3.com. It's russian, and I thought long and hard before using my credit card, but I have used the site for 6 months and had nothing but good experiences.

You can even choose which format you want to download, and at what bitrate. I use 192 KBPS WMA-files, and load them onto windows media player 10, and from there directly to pocket tunes deluxe. Works great!

Christian
  5. Lew
    I thought long and hard before using my credit card

That's where paying via PayPal adds a layer of protection.
    Pay pal is a weak layer of protection
    So how much does allofmymp3.com cost? I didn't find any pricing info.
    .02 per 1mb and some others I found give you songs for 10-cents. Unfortunately, they're adhering only to their own country's copyright laws, so the actual artists here aren't getting their royalties. It's a shame.

I'd rather drop $.99 at iTunes.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iso
    To buy music from an excellent selection, at ridicolous low prices, and without DRM, go to www.allofmp3.com. It's russian, and I thought long and hard before using my credit card, but I have used the site for 6 months and had nothing but good experiences.

You can even choose which format you want to download, and at what bitrate. I use 192 KBPS WMA-files, and load them onto windows media player 10, and from there directly to pocket tunes deluxe. Works great!

Christian
    Sounds fishy to me... Are you sure any of this money is actually going to the artist? They could be selling you pirated music, which in the moralitiy issue, is even worse than just file sharing... And if this is the case, you still don't legaly own it, and you are giving your money to thieves. There are MANY foreign websites out there that try to sell you pirated software or music.
    It's not. The US gov't has made attempts to boycott these sites, but they've little control over what transfers over the Internet at this point.

Leaves the doors open for possible attempts at legislation - which would probably result in mandatory blocking by ISPs.
    DesignExtend.com
    I can say which online services to AVOID - Rhapsody and eMusic. Both are total ripoffs due to limited availability, secondary artists, or bad technology. Even iTunes is somewhat limited in only selling mostly top40 artists. I am still finding myself going to artists dedicated sites and buying songs there.

I'm a musician who thinks that DRM actually HURTS artists - but that's a separate topic of discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobh
    Sounds fishy to me... Are you sure any of this money is actually going to the artist? They could be selling you pirated music, which in the moralitiy issue, is even worse than just file sharing... And if this is the case, you still don't legaly own it, and you are giving your money to thieves. There are MANY foreign websites out there that try to sell you pirated software or music.
    Yes, as mediasi mentioned, it is legal - in Russia - but the the Internet has no borders. Not endorsing it, but morals aside there is no crime being committed per se.
    Buy CDs or buy from iTunes (reburn or use JHymn) to move to Treo.
    iTunes may not sell everyone but they do have a large range of independents and they do pay the artists.
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    Yes, as mediasi mentioned, it is legal - in Russia - but the the Internet has no borders. Not endorsing it, but morals aside there is no crime being committed per se.
    Right. And anyone who is a "creator" or knows a "creator" knows that it HURTS the creator. Nothing like a creator having to hold down another job because the slew of hours he/she puts in to creating something for others enjoyment comes with little reward.

Morality tells us to give credit where credit is due, so I won't give it to a venue that does not reward creators.

Pamela
    DesignExtend.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    Right. And anyone who is a "creator" or knows a "creator" knows that it HURTS the creator. Nothing like a creator having to hold down another job because the slew of hours he/she puts in to creating something for others enjoyment comes with little reward.

Morality tells us to give credit where credit is due, so I won't give it to a venue that does not reward creators.

Pamela
    Boy...I remember artists always complaining about the RIAA taking too much money than they deserved. I can't wait until the day where I can pay an artist fiddy cent to a dolla and know that he/she/they get every single penny.

And if an artist has to hold another job because he's not getting credit, it's prolly 'cause his music sucks. If they're truly creating it SOLELY for the enjoyment of others, and they're not half bad...they'll get their money.
    CD's from circuit city or costco .
    Great price .
    Use whereever.
    Resell them and get part of your money refunded if you have financial constraints..
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    And if an artist has to hold another job because he's not getting credit, it's prolly 'cause his music sucks. If they're truly creating it SOLELY for the enjoyment of others, and they're not half bad...they'll get their money.
    That's a sad statement. There are many artists out there working their tail off and carrying a very strong, yet small, following, who are just itching to get into the right door.

If it weren't for REM, the Indigo Girls wouldn't be known today (their first album went unheard of by the general population). How many people heard Melissa Etheridge's first release WHEN it was released.

Switching gears, how's about Queensryche? They didn't hit the mainstream until Metallica ripped them out on tour with them (that was the And Justice for All tour, BTW). Only the die-hards knew who they were, and it was Operation Mindcrime that really put them on the map (and I'm eagerly awaiting II).

I can name about 50 other bands I grabbed tapes or CDs on the minute they came out, only to hear everyone else rave about them a year or more later.

How about J.K. Rowling. Crappy author, huh? She must have been because no-one lined up for her books until someone took the shot at Harry Potter. She was writing since she was a child... she was born in '65 which means she didn't become a success until she was 32.

If your statement is true, then REM also sucked (they were essentially a college band). Cough the same up to TMBG as well.

Pamela
    DesignExtend.com
    This kinda sorta on topic. I'm not familiar with iTunes for the fact that I use MusicMatch with my DellDJ, but can you buy the CD of off iTunes and then burn it to MP3 format on disc? Or can songs/ albums ONLY be transferred to an iPod? The reason I ask is because iTunes has some songs/ albums/ artists that MM doesn't and it seems most are more familiar with iTunes. Thank you in advance.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I purchase all my music at Napster (protected WMA). Then I rerecord it with Tunebite to play on ANY audio device I wish to use. Works beautifully!
    Treo 650 unlocked & locked with Cingular
    You can buy only downloaded songs off of iTunes. For CD's check with any place that sells CDs (although you can use iTiunes to listen to 30 seconds of each song before you buy the CD)
    If you buy a CD iTunes will rip it and store it on your computer in a few different formats (set in prefs) including MP3 which you can copy anywhere.

Songs/albums purchased on iTunes are downloaded to your computer. You can listen to the songs as is on up to 5 computers and your iPod.

If you wish to load them onto a Treo or other non-ipod device you need to burn a CD in iTunes and recapture or use one of the free available converters to remove copy protection from music you own.

There's no signup fees or monthly charges for iTunes so no risk in at least checking it out.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast