Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vporter
    ... can you buy the CD of off iTunes and then burn it to MP3 format on disc? Or can songs/ albums ONLY be transferred to an iPod? The reason I ask is because iTunes has some songs/ albums/ artists that MM doesn't and it seems most are more familiar with iTunes. Thank you in advance.
    itunes will allow unlimited cd burning of your itms purchased music.
    buy it @ itms, then burn cd, then load to your delldj or whatever other device you choose.
    iBug
    mac osx user new beetle pilot powerbook operator smartphone communicator

----------
    vzw.kyo6035 > vzw.kyo7135 > vzw.treo600 > sprint.treo650
    Quote Originally Posted by scotttreo
    ... Songs/albums purchased on iTunes are downloaded to your computer. You can listen to the songs as is on up to 5 computers and your iPod. ...
    and burn unlimited cds.
    iBug
    mac osx user new beetle pilot powerbook operator smartphone communicator

----------
    vzw.kyo6035 > vzw.kyo7135 > vzw.treo600 > sprint.treo650
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    That's a sad statement. There are many artists out there working their tail off and carrying a very strong, yet small, following, who are just itching to get into the right door.

If it weren't for REM, the Indigo Girls wouldn't be known today (their first album went unheard of by the general population). How many people heard Melissa Etheridge's first release WHEN it was released.

Switching gears, how's about Queensryche? They didn't hit the mainstream until Metallica ripped them out on tour with them (that was the And Justice for All tour, BTW). Only the die-hards knew who they were, and it was Operation Mindcrime that really put them on the map (and I'm eagerly awaiting II).

I can name about 50 other bands I grabbed tapes or CDs on the minute they came out, only to hear everyone else rave about them a year or more later.

How about J.K. Rowling. Crappy author, huh? She must have been because no-one lined up for her books until someone took the shot at Harry Potter. She was writing since she was a child... she was born in '65 which means she didn't become a success until she was 32.

If your statement is true, then REM also sucked (they were essentially a college band). Cough the same up to TMBG as well.

Pamela
    Umm...I don't listen to the same music that you do. But the Grateful Dead got their money, so does Dave Matthews, I'm sure Led Zeppelin got some money as well. How about the violent Eminem or the peaceful Bob Marley? Paid! I'm not really sure about Bob Marley, but I'm pretty sure he got what he wanted and had a pretty good time doing it.

Most musical artists make it big because they've got something to say, they know how to say it, or timing.

I'm sure there's tons of bands that work their tails off...but that doesn't mean that I or anybody else wants to hear it. As for those bands that you listed...I wasn't quite following what you were saying except for you getting around to saying "they weren't big UNTIL...". And that was exactly my point. I said, "If they're truly creating it SOLELY for the enjoyment of others, and they're not half bad...they'll get their money." You said they were worth a damn, you contributed to their paychecks (as well as the RIAA's), and they made it big!! But a lot of people out there don't make it big, because they suck. You didn't mention any people that suck.

**Now back to iTunes and other locations to download music!!
    Quote Originally Posted by iBug
    itunes will allow unlimited cd burning of your itms purchased music.
    buy it @ itms, then burn cd, then load to your delldj or whatever other device you choose.
    Thank you for such a quick resonse!! I'll definitely start working with iTunes!
    <SOAPBOX>
    Until iTunes allows me to do the following I'm going to consider it evil:
    1. Download non-lossy formats
    2. Allows playback on any device (without having to use a work around such as burning to a CD)
    3. Allows me to resell the music I bought

All of these are available if you actually buy the CD. Granted, if you only like or two songs, the CD might not be the best choice.
    </SOAPBOX>
    Quote Originally Posted by scotttreo
    You can buy only downloaded songs off of iTunes.
    You mean on iTunes, you can only buy downloaded songs, you cannot "rent" them on an all-you-can-download plan. Tons of sites let you buy downloaded songs. Granted, none work with iPods.
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    That's a sad statement. There are many artists out there working their tail off and carrying a very strong, yet small, following, who are just itching to get into the right door.
    Especially now that you can listen to all the music you ever want (legally) for less than the cost of two Starbucks coffees a month, it makes no sense to steal music.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    And if an artist has to hold another job because he's not getting credit, it's prolly 'cause his music sucks. If they're truly creating it SOLELY for the enjoyment of others, and they're not half bad...they'll get their money.
    Not to continue the off-topic vibe, but that statement is totally ungrounded. If you meant something else, then you should have said something else. I know PLENTY of great artists not making it big that have to hold down another job or two, but that's not because they suck by any means. The music industry in the U.S. is largely geared towards pop music, there is only so much radio and video airtime available, etc., etc., etc., so you can have great talent and still not get paid great.

Anyway, back on topic, as a studio owner, producer, and music business instructor, I would definitely endorse sites that actually pay the artists. allofmp3.com is "legal", but by all means, if you can afford a dollar or less for a song that makes you happy, then please use a service that actually pays the artists.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Pocket Tunes 3.1 just came out, which apparently lets you listen to audio files with certain Digital Rights Managment (stuff bought from online stores). They say it is using Microsoft's Janus technology. "Access millions of songs using Pocket Tunes Deluxe 3.1 along with music subscription services such as Rhapsody To Go, Napster To Go, and Yahoo! Music Unlimited." And says "Pocket Tunes Deluxe supports all music stores that use Microsoft's Janus technology**. Look for stores with the PlaysForSure logo."
    "** Music stores that we have tested include: Napster, Real Rhapsody, Yahoo! Music Engine. Pocket Tunes supports both subscription and purchased content."
    either via the net (limewire) due to the reason that most of the songs i am listening to and want are from radioseven.se (a shoutcast radiostation). And well there is really no way to get that kind of techno/dance music over in the music store

and i do buy cds, as i like to buy compliations from DJ Daniel Desnoyers (of quebec) and MC Mario Tremblay (of quebec)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    Not to continue the off-topic vibe, but that statement is totally ungrounded. If you meant something else, then you should have said something else. I know PLENTY of great artists not making it big that have to hold down another job or two, but that's not because they suck by any means. The music industry in the U.S. is largely geared towards pop music, there is only so much radio and video airtime available, etc., etc., etc., so you can have great talent and still not get paid great.
    Well...I was kinda talking in terms of people stealing music, not so much who controls what's played on mainstream radio and media in general. Damn the man, but the little people will pay to see you in concert if you're really good. For example, concerts like Bonnaroo have tons of bands that are worthy of my money....but only a couple of them are played on MTV and the radio (i.e. - Dave Matthews & Jack Johnson, of which the latter is no good in concert since he doesn't know how to jam). For more information on Bonnaroo and their artist lineup from this past June, check out there website: http://www.bonnaroo.com. This is what all the kids are into today (at least the ones that I know)!!! They're good bands because they're experienced...or most of 'em at least.
    Fair enough. For my part, I was simply pointing out that the way you came across at first made it sound like "if you're not making money you're good, if you're making money you suck", both of which are obviously not true. Now I see your angle.

*kissing*
    *making up*
    Last edited by ninodelsol; 07/20/2005 at 05:52 AM.
    iTunes is as good as it gets!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    CD's from circuit city or costco .
    Great price .
    Use whereever.
    Resell them and get part of your money refunded if you have financial constraints..
    I agree and would suggest eBay music and pay a lot less from a reputable seller. CD's are usually good for many playbacks and can be resold when you are done recording the good songs off the CD (usually less than 3 of them, but that's another topic). I record them in FLAC and keep them in storage, then make an OGG copy of the FLAC file to play on my Treo. I have the original lossless copy and the portable lossy copy, all is right with the world. This way I can sleep knowing that the artist got their cut when the CD was originally purchased by someone else (<rant> and so did the record companies whose only goal seems to be to produce crappy top 40 at the expense of good bands who aren't as "mainstream" as they might like ..... </rant>) Ok, I've calmed down now.

I long for the day when artists can directly market to the consumer effectively without the record labels telling us what we should listen to (and spubsequently drive the price of music down by cutting out the gouging middlemen <see above rant>)

The revolution may not be televised...but it will be broadcast!
    Geek.....me????!!!!
    Thanks for the compliment, geeks run the world after all!
    Quote Originally Posted by trainman
    I agree and would suggest eBay music and pay a lot less from a reputable seller. CD's are usually good for many playbacks and can be resold when you are done recording the good songs off the CD (usually less than 3 of them, but that's another topic). I record them in FLAC and keep them in storage, then make an OGG copy of the FLAC file to play on my Treo. I have the original lossless copy and the portable lossy copy, all is right with the world.
    That's an excellent idea. I'm thinking that I'll adopt that as my new method of [re]distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman
    I long for the day when artists can directly market to the consumer effectively without the record labels telling us what we should listen to (and spubsequently drive the price of music down by cutting out the gouging middlemen <see above rant>)
    I'm right there with ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ
    Pay pal is a weak layer of protection
    DITTO THAT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Norrin Radd
    where do you buy your music?
    Grndslm, if you're going to quote yourself, please do it accurately...

Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    ...And if an artist has to hold another job because he's not getting credit, it's prolly 'cause his music sucks.
    Now, I read pretty well, and this says if an artist is making money it's most likely because they suck. I merely disagreed with you. It wasn't my job to mention people who suck because the comment was about those who have helped music evolve and don't necessarily suck.

My overall point is that there are a lot of bands out there worth quite a bit who's music gets passed around primarily via outlets akin to Kaazaa - doesn't matter that they are on an Independent label (because even artists on Indy labels can make off pretty good on royalties). There's plenty who love the music, but think if they can get it for free, why pay a dime?

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    either via the net (limewire) due to the reason that most of the songs i am listening to and want are from radioseven.se (a shoutcast radiostation). And well there is really no way to get that kind of techno/dance music over in the music store

and i do buy cds, as i like to buy compliations from DJ Daniel Desnoyers (of quebec) and MC Mario Tremblay (of quebec)
    You will eventually. I see iTunes even has Kraftwerk up (though I am eagerly awaiting the addition of Das Models).

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    I prefer the Walmart music store. With PT 3.1, the use of Windows Media Player 10 is seamless with the Treo 650 (DRM Protection now supported). If you have PT 3.0, you have to burn and rip the wma's. The Walmart songs are only 88 cents.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast