Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've seen some posts on this topic a while back but I thought I would mention it again. Those of you have that State Farm for insurance (or even those that don't) might be happy to know that you can get your Treo insured for very little money.

State Farm will now insure cell phones that have a value of over $400. You can add it to your personal articles policy (or start one) and the premium will run between $20 and $30/yr. If it's lost, stolen, dropped, whatever, you're covered with no deductable. If your cell provider does happen to offer coverage for the 650, it's not likely to be as good as that.

Anyway, just passing along the information.

-B
    State Farm personal articles policies are a good idea. I have some cell phones that were less than $400 insured, but now that is the minimum. With Treos no worries about that. Also, insure your laptops as well.
    Have my Treo 650 + Case + SD Card insured thru my homeowners insurance ($20/yr). They just asked me to send in pics of all the items and proof of their value. I think they called it mysterious disappearance.
    Who am I, sir? A Utah man am I A Utah man, sir, and will be till I die!
    Nice, so when I get tired of my Treo I can just throw it into traffic and get something else

Not that I would, but good to know I could. Time to consider dumping Amex for State Farm.
    Quote Originally Posted by elder_shawn
    Have my Treo 650 + Case + SD Card insured thru my homeowners insurance ($20/yr). They just asked me to send in pics of all the items and proof of their value. I think they called it mysterious disappearance.
    Yes, that's right. Except making a claim on your homeowner's insurance may cause a problem with future homeowner's policies or premiums. Of course, it's possible they simply opened a Personal Articles Policy for you...

- Evers
    I'd recommend a chat with your insurance agent. I listed my Treo 180 separately on my homeowner's policy with a replacement value of $600, figuring I'd get a 600 or a 650, because my version wasn't made anymore, thank goodness. It didn't work out as planned. My agent strongly discouraged me from filing the claim when it came time to do so, saying that Safeco would probably pay it, but good luck to you if a tree falls on your house or you ever have to make another claim on this policy. The rates will certainly skyrocket and they might drop you altogether. He did not mention any of this when he happily scheduled the treo on my policy in the first place. When I questioned him on that, he said that there's a changed business climate, and what would have routinely worked well last year is no longer true now.
    Good idea about insuring the case and SD card as well!!!

But, I believe that JulieH and evers are correct in her statement about keeping these items separate from your homeowner's insurance...otherwise, you'll have to pay your $500 deductible on the homeowner's to get your $400 (~ $500) phone...AND also, your premium will prolly go up.
    I think the best way to insure Treo is the cell phone providers. You don't want to mess up your home owners insurance with mionor stuff like Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    I think the best way to insure Treo is the cell phone providers. You don't want to mess up your home owners insurance with mionor stuff like Treo.
    Nope...you definitely want to do it with State Farm. They have what's called a Personal Articles Policy (PAP), where you pay approximately $30/yr for your Treo...and what's even better than paying only $2.50/mo for insurance is that there's NO DEDUCTIBLE. It's separate from homeowner's insurance -- you DON'T want this anywhere near homeowner's insurance. Their PAP can also include stuff like laptops, etc. on it (anything over $400 of value). For example, I'm paying $30/yr for the Treo and $50/yr for my laptop. Soo...for $80/yr I have my laptop and Treo covered under State Farm's insurance...and if I accidentaly break either of them, or lose them, or someone steals them from me...I get another one without paying a deductible. MUCH better than the carriers!!
    Have you people looked at safeware.com I had my dell laptop replaced after my kid dropped it on concrete. No deductibles whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by danpedraza
    Have you people looked at safeware.com I had my dell laptop replaced after my kid dropped it on concrete. No deductibles whatsoever.
    I just requested a quote with a coverage amount of $550 on a PDA and it returned with a policy premium of $66.00. Sounds like State Farm is the better/cheaper route to go.....I just need to get into an office and sign up.
    Quote Originally Posted by danpedraza
    I looked at 'em too. They're much higher than State Farm. State Farm doesn't have a deductible either, PLUS they're a much better known insurance company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Good advice if you like wasting money. If not, read the thread and get a PAP from State Farm for $30/year with $0 deductible and no chance of it affecting your homeowners since the PAP can be your ONLY policy with State Farm.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Nope...you definitely want to do it with State Farm. They have what's called a Personal Articles Policy (PAP), where you pay approximately $30/yr for your Treo...and what's even better than paying only $2.50/mo for insurance is that there's NO DEDUCTIBLE. It's separate from homeowner's insurance -- you DON'T want this anywhere near homeowner's insurance. Their PAP can also include stuff like laptops, etc. on it (anything over $400 of value). For example, I'm paying $30/yr for the Treo and $50/yr for my laptop. Soo...for $80/yr I have my laptop and Treo covered under State Farm's insurance...and if I accidentaly break either of them, or lose them, or someone steals them from me...I get another one without paying a deductible. MUCH better than the carriers!!
    Grndslm, advised me of this in another quote when my T300 took a swim, I paid my $50 deductible with the Sprint people and am on my merry way, BUT I will be better served because they only allow like 2 claims with a certain period of time as I remember with the flip of the T300 always breaking. So this idea is a CHEAPER and BETTER idea, and I will look into it.
    Thank you Grndslm for your posts.
    IMHO
    -g-
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie_g
    Grndslm, advised me of this in another quote when my T300 took a swim, I paid my $50 deductible with the Sprint people and am on my merry way, BUT I will be better served because they only allow like 2 claims with a certain period of time as I remember with the flip of the T300 always breaking. So this idea is a CHEAPER and BETTER idea, and I will look into it.
    Thank you Grndslm for your posts.
    IMHO
    -g-
    No problem....just keep passin' on the word!
    I have mine insured through Assurion (sp?) purchased from Verizon.
    Granted, it costs more (4.95per mo) and has a 50.00 deductible but it will also cover failure or issues not covered by the phones warrantee.

I had a Kyocera 7135 and the keys stopped working, I called and made a claim and had a replacement phone in my hand the next day.

I am very happy with the service myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by halffast
    Granted, it costs more (4.95per mo) and has a 50.00 deductible but it will also cover failure or issues not covered by the phones warrantee.

I had a Kyocera 7135 and the keys stopped working, I called and made a claim and had a replacement phone in my hand the next day.

You might want to read this thread. The SF PAP covers everything for a lot less and $0 deductible. Damage, theft, loss, anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by halffast

Yea...we've got the exact same thing you've got - INSURANCE!!!

If it's broken, lost, or stolen, we get another phone. And we can pick which phone we want, too. You don't have that privilege. Plus, you're paying a lot more for the phone.

I don't know how long it takes to file a claim and receive the phone...but I'd imagine somebody else here could answer that for you for sure. If not, call State Farm and ask. I bet they'd give you the money and you could go straight down to your carrier and hand them a check for another Treo.

State Farm's like a good neighbor...they can't rip you off 'cause you know where they live. Assurion is ripping you off, though, I mean...the word a$$ is in their name for pete's sake!!
    Quote Originally Posted by evers
    Yes, that's right. Except making a claim on your homeowner's insurance may cause a problem with future homeowner's policies or premiums. Of course, it's possible they simply opened a Personal Articles Policy for you...

- Evers
    The claim does not go against the Homeowners nor does it involve my deductible...it's similar to insuring cameras, computers etc. It's a PAP.
    Who am I, sir? A Utah man am I A Utah man, sir, and will be till I die!
    The claim does not go against the Homeowners nor does it involve my deductible...it's similar to insuring cameras, computers etc. It's a PAP.
    Yup, that's exactly what I said... "Personal Articles Policy" = P.A.P.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast