Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can anybody tell me why everytime I sync Avant Go the next time I hotsync my 650 it starts to restore EVERYTHING?

This is annoying.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Restore or re-download new pages?
    I have not noticed any "restoring" on hotsyncing and I use avantGo wireless with "Refresh All content" when I'm away from my PC. What I have noticed is that sometimes the wireless sync looses my password authentication, does not accept it wirelessly and I need to hotsync to restore it.
    Can you please elaborate
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith
    Restore or re-download new pages?
    I have not noticed any "restoring" on hotsyncing and I use avantGo wireless with "Refresh All content" when I'm away from my PC. What I have noticed is that sometimes the wireless sync looses my password authentication, does not accept it wirelessly and I need to hotsync to restore it.
    Can you please elaborate
    Where is the 'refresh all content' setting?

Tks
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I have given up on Avantgo!
    Quote Originally Posted by BenJoeM
    I have given up on Avantgo!

Me too, too much resetting. I could never complete a wireless sync.

With QuickNews and Blazer, who needs AvantGo anyway?
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    Where is the 'refresh all content' setting?

Tks
    Options>Server Preferences: Settings

I'm using the latest AvantGo 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith
    Options>Server Preferences: Settings

I'm using the latest AvantGo 2005
    OK I found it and changed the setting. It seems to take longer to sync (wirelessly) with this setting. Exactly what am I gaining by doing this? Before "refresh all content" was check, wasn't I receiving the most current info for the channels I had selected?

Tks in advance.
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    When you sync, "Refreshing all content" reloads every page stored on your handheld (or SD card) according to the channels selected. Sometimes there are no updated pages but this setting will still reload the page and that's why a sync will take longer. When you sync without this setting you should still receive all the latest pages as only those updated will (should) be reloaded. Then you say "Why do I use this setting?".

I do not sync AvantGo wirelessly. I simply use it as an online browser so when I select a "link" (channel) it automatically reloads the latest page. I don't mind the short wait of the reload. I can choose which channels I want to read and skip at that time. I do not necessarily read everything all at once after a sync, so I don't bother to wait for a whole wireless sync just to read a few pages. From time to time I do sync AvantGo while hotsyncing with my faster internet connection. I hope this offers the clarification you are seeking...

Cheers
    Tks for the info eKeith.
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Anytime TurboTiger...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wolf
    Can anybody tell me why everytime I sync Avant Go the next time I hotsync my 650 it starts to restore EVERYTHING?

This is annoying.
    I believe what The Wolf is saying here is that all your backed up apps and files are restored into the Treo, as if you have selected "Restore from backup" in the Backup conduit.

This happened to me when I selected to sync Avantgo to my SD card on my Mac. Needless to say, I don't sync it to the SD card now.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid
    Me too, too much resetting. I could never complete a wireless sync.

With QuickNews and Blazer, who needs AvantGo anyway?
    AvantGo Rocks!
    Advantage 1) quickly download all your content in the morning during sync.
    Advantage 2) Since all content is down, moving through it is far quicker.
    Advantage 3) It's free.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    AvantGo Rocks!
    Advantage 1) quickly download all your content in the morning during sync.
    Advantage 2) Since all content is down, moving through it is far quicker.
    Advantage 3) It's free.
    Yah, I get your point, but Avantgo Promises to be more than that.

I want to sync all the time; wirelessly! I sync during the day mulitple times to get up to date news and info. But half the time the images don't load, I have to reload it and sometimes it takes up to 15 minutes to sync! When Quicknews and other programs sync in seconds, plus they don't take nearly have the memory avantgo does (and I am not talking about content, but the program itself).

Avantgo maybe free, but you get what you paid for! That is why we bought $600 phones!

BenJoe
    Quote Originally Posted by BenJoeM
    Yah, I get your point, but Avantgo Promises to be more than that.

I want to sync all the time; wirelessly! I sync during the day mulitple times to get up to date news and info. But half the time the images don't load, I have to reload it and sometimes it takes up to 15 minutes to sync! When Quicknews and other programs sync in seconds, plus they don't take nearly have the memory avantgo does (and I am not talking about content, but the program itself).

Avantgo maybe free, but you get what you paid for! That is why we bought $600 phones!

BenJoe
    Hehehehehehehe, yup. It's true I don't count on AvantGo for up to the minute news, just the bulk morning stuff to read on the commute.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanook
    I believe what The Wolf is saying here is that all your backed up apps and files are restored into the Treo, as if you have selected "Restore from backup" in the Backup conduit.

This happened to me when I selected to sync Avantgo to my SD card on my Mac. Needless to say, I don't sync it to the SD card now.
    Interesting... on my 650 with limited memory I sync only to my SD card and count myself lucky not to have experienced this issue. I'm syncing to a PC running Win XP SP2.
    Avantgo used to be my newsreader/webpage slurper of choice, but about a year and a half ago, i became a fan of Plucker. I haven't used avantgo since and keep it on my SD card because 1) i have plenty of storage still 2) as a backup to plucker when i'm traveling. Plucker works much better than Avantgo, IMHO, since it lets you control the slurping process.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Is there any way to use AvantGo without it reinstalling all software? I'm using OSX and really enjoyed syncing AvantGo wirelessly in the AM to avoid airtime charges. I stopped using it because it kept reinstalling my software and screwing up my system.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    you can go to the avantgo website and download just the .prc's

I think it is the support area or something
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Thanks, however I had installed the most recent wireless only version of AvantGo and was having problems with that version. I was wondering if there were settings I could use to prevent my software from being "restored" when I HotSync. I like AvantGo but I don't want to go through that nightmare again!
    I gave up on it too...the wireless sync crashed all the time and in the end, even with saving part of it to the card, it still took up way too much space in ROM...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast