1.    #1  
    I'm sort of missing not having the extra hard button to launch apps. Does anyone know of an app that will allow me to re-map the 'Alt' button to do something more useful?

Lee.
    butler
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    butler
    Wadaya talkin' about? Butler has no function that affects the Alt button.
  4.    #4  
    Correct. I have Butler and it just uses the built in remap facility, extending it for use with apps outside of the phone. Thie remap function does not allow mapping of the alt, spacebar or . keys.
    Try Zlauncher - set the Quick Launch button to the alt key or the right side shift key
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee@Dvddebate
    I'm sort of missing not having the extra hard button to launch apps. Does anyone know of an app that will allow me to re-map the 'Alt' button to do something more useful?

Lee.
    Why would you want to re-map the Alt button?? That seems sacreligious...how would you get your alternative characters, then?

If you're wanting to LAUNCH apps, then yes...butler's your best option. No "extra hard button" needed...just assign each letter to a program and hold that letter down for a second or two. Too easy!
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Why would you want to re-map the Alt button?? That seems sacreligious...how would you get your alternative characters, then?

If you're wanting to LAUNCH apps, then yes...butler's your best option. No "extra hard button" needed...just assign each letter to a program and hold that letter down for a second or two. Too easy!
    Is Butler considered "stable" yet?
    Yep - 3.00 avail...
    why not just make the app/s a favorite, and assign any key you want to it?
    iBug
    mac osx user new beetle pilot powerbook operator smartphone communicator

----------
    vzw.kyo6035 > vzw.kyo7135 > vzw.treo600 > sprint.treo650
    Quote Originally Posted by mshaw1515
    Yep - 3.00 avail...
    Nice Zlauncher set up!
    Quote Originally Posted by iBug
    why not just make the app/s a favorite, and assign any key you want to it?
    Then it is two steps from app to app.
    First phone button then favorites button.

With butler you can quicklaunch from anywhere or any other app.

Hit the menu key then "k" to bring up the keyboard. All the alternative characters are there and you don't have to try remember which key they are on. If you use alternate characters a lot this could be a little more cumbersome though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Longstrider
    Then it is two steps from app to app.
    First phone button then favorites button.

With butler you can quicklaunch from anywhere or any other app.
    point taken.
    however, my way is free, and doesn't require any extra software.
    iBug

----------
    How is your way of remaping the alt button free and not depending on extra software?!? I thought that you had to use ZLauncher?

I could see this being beneficial if you HELD the ALT (or preferably Right Shift...I'd do this over Butler's K-Launch if I actually had a Right Shift that worked) button and then pressed a letter, as opposed to holding a letter for K-Launch, or merely pressing ALT/SHIFT then pressing a letter for alternate characters! However, I don't think it's possible as holding either alt or shift affect the previous/next characters you were typing.

I don't like the idea I guess for the same reason that some Graffiti users prefer to keep Graffiti on their Treos -- they just got used to it. I must have adjusted to the alternative characters more than I realized, because there's a few things missing from that keyboard I pulled up in memo. I never even noticed that keyboard was there since there was one right underneath my thumbs at all times. Is there any place that you can't press "menu + k" to pull it up??
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    How is your way of remaping the alt button free and not depending on extra software?!? I thought that you had to use ZLauncher?
    Because it uses the built-in Favorites of the Phone app. However Favorites only work (natively) from within the Phone app.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    Because it uses the built-in Favorites of the Phone app. However Favorites only work (natively) from within the Phone app.
    Ahh...My bad. I thought iBug was talking about the Alt remapping.

But hey, iBug, you should try Butler!! It's definitely worth the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    yeah, what he said.

Ahh...My bad. I thought iBug was talking about the Alt remapping.

But hey, iBug, you should try Butler!! It's definitely worth the money.
    i have looked at it and thought about it. i usually try to experiment as little as possible, cause i can't stand messin' up my little smartphone world.
    butler is on my "i think i might try that" list.
    iBug

----------
    Is there a way, instead, to turn off the Alt Key information alert that pops up when the Alt key is pressed while not in an editable field? I'm activating McPhling via a hold on the Alt key but that alert box will popup in the background.