Page 1 of 33 12345611 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Pardon my enthusiasm, but I stumbled upon a great program yesterday that is rarely mentioned around here. If your Treo is running slow, check out the program PalmInternals V1.10.2:

http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-...?PalmInternals

This program can tell you a lot things about your Treo, but for this excercise we are going to focus on notifications and their impact on your Treo.

Tap Notif. to run the notifications test and scroll up to see what programs are running under the headers hede, hvch, and hpps. Then run the Speed Test under More with those offending programs running and not running. The programs listed under those headers are stealing a ton of CPU cycles with notifications. Here's a better explanation of the issue if you're curious:

http://www.1src.com/forums/showpost....7&postcount=12

Probably the most important event performance-wise is the "hede" event. An application subscribing to the "hede" event is saying that it wants to be notified whenever any event happens in the system (button push, screen tap, etc). So the first thing to look at is look at the notification list and see which of your apps are subscribing to the hede event because those apps will have their notification code called pretty regularly during the running of the system. Look also at the help info in PalmInternals because Igor also references a couple of other event types apart from "hede" that will arise often during the running of the system.

You might be floored when you see what all of those little hacks and apps are doing to your poor Treo's performance. The results forced me to find replacements for or to dump some programs I wasn't even using.

I apologize if this is old news to everyone, but this program has been marvelous for me.
    Last edited by aldamon; 01/24/2006 at 08:33 PM.
    If you don't mind me asking....
    which apps did you dump and with what did you replace them with?
    thanks but this crashes my 650
    It runs fine on my unlocked 650. Speed test runs fine also.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Hmmm, I had at least a half-dozen under hede. My Treo was a mess. Let's see what I can remember....

1.) Fonts4OS5: Turn off 'Table.c' bugs correction and White spaces menu correction under options. Uses hede otherwise. BIG performance hit.
    2.) Removed TreoGuard and replaced radio scheduling with Radio Control. I'm going to live without turning off the screen during a call.
    3.) Removed FieldPlus. Wasn't using it.
    4.) Replaced VolumeCare 2.x - 3.03 with VolumeCare 3.04 which addresses this issue.
    5.) I've seen KeyCaps mentioned as a culprit in a couple of other threads.

There were a couple more but my memory is failing. LOL.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisL77
    It runs fine on my unlocked 650. Speed test runs fine also.
    What did you score? I score 391 tics (4 secs) now with the hogs removed.
    with dbcache tool, butler, snalpcalc and volumecare 3.01 running i score: 8172 tics or 81 secs.

without dbcache tool,snapcalc running and with volumecare 3.04 and butler running i score:341 tics or 4 secs.

dbcache tool and snapcalc really hog cpu cycles!!!
    Well, I've attempted several times to use PI, but it keeps resetting my 650.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    When I click Notif I get a blank response. Does that mean nothing is running?

As far as speed test I get 7019 tics 71 secs
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex
    Well, I've attempted several times to use PI, but it keeps resetting my 650.
    same here...bummer
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode
    When I click Notif I get a blank response. Does that mean nothing is running?

As far as speed test I get 7019 tics 71 secs
    No, it probably means that you've got SoundOff enabled; at least, that's what the problem was on my machine - I disabled it (for the purposes of the test) and was able to use the Notif function.

Wow...it turns out that my favorite apps are the biggest CPU hogs (hede): ClipPro, FieldPlus, Butler, snapCalc5, ShortCut5 and McPhling (and probably SoundOff...). I've got some thinking to do...
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Yeah, SoundOff was something I replaced right after installing it. I noticed the terrible slowdown in Nesem before I knew anything about hede or PalmInternals. It was one of the reasons why I started looking for software that could tell me what programs were running in the background.

I replaced SoundOff with RingerSwitch Basic 1.1 and all was well again:

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...&prodid=103788

The notification is a little more subtle than SoundOff, but it's effective enough IMO.
    The only program I had listed un "hede" was KB lights, and I won't due without that , I'm running at tics3776 - 38 secs.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    KBLights Off only uses hede if Auto Mode is on. I've never been a fan of Auto Mode anyway. I turn off the light during the day and turn it on when it's too dark to read the unlit keys.
    Time in tics 112, time in secs 1

very nice, are you running a plain vanilla 650?
    Pretty close to it. Most of my extra stuff is on the SD card.
    Hmm. I'm running really slow (circa 181 sec). At first, i thought my treo had crashed. But, after running a notif., i noticed that my processor hogs are numerous ... including kblight, soundoff, keycaps, profile, and speedlaunch+. the problem is, i like the functionality that these apps add to my treo. i suppose i could use pxa to overclock my treo to offset the lag in performance since i'm running mugen's 2200 mAh battery too.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    PalmFan, the solution to your predicament is to find better-coded programs or turn off offending options:

1.) Turn off Auto Mode in KBlights Off. That's the only time it uses hede.

2.) Instead of Speedlaunch, try Butler. It has a function called K Launch that lets you run the favorites you set in the Phone application from anywhere. For example, I have the letter P assigned to PowerRun in Phone. That shortcut works from any program. One caveat: Butler uses hede but the hit is negligible.

http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/DownloadPrc.php

3.) Get rid of SoundOff and try RingerSwitch Basic 1.1

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?f...e&prodid=103788

4.) You might be stuck with Keycaps. Haven't found an alternative except for actually using the Shift key while typing. That's what I do. LOL.

5.) Don't know what "profile" is. Sorry. If it's what the name implies, you might want to try out ProfileCare. Jeff Gibson has taken steps to code ProfileCare, and another program VolumeCare, so they don't use hede anymore:

http://www.gotreosoftware.com/module...name=Downloads

Start by replacing SoundOff and turning off Auto Mode in KBLights. I think you'll be pleased.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/snQQpy/pi.jpg

It sad when the app thats supposed to help is the one that keeps crashing your device.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
Page 1 of 33 12345611 ... LastLast