Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WPWoodJr
    Where did you get the source to FieldPlus? Or is this done without access to the source somehow?
    I don't have the source. I made a small patch to the binary of FieldPlus to make it hook a custom notification instead of the event queue, and built a second application that forwards events to FieldPlus.

Since FieldPlus only cares about certain specific keyboard events, I don't need to forward all of the possible events to the custom notification. In fact, I only forward a small subset of keyboard events (I hope I got enough for it to do its job!), so the vast majority of events are discarded by the forwarder. Since the sublaunch is only performed if the forwarder determines an event is relevant to FieldPlus, most events are processed without going through the slow notification process.

Thus, even though FieldPlus itself is still using the slow sublaunch notification, very few events get sent through to FieldPlus, and the overhead from running it is greatly reduced.
    Hey Doomsey, any chance of accomplishing a similar hack for TreoSelecText?

On my Cingular 650 w/ 1.28 ROW, PalmInternals speed tests shows around 28 seconds with it enabled, only 2 seconds without.

If you need the prc file or some testing help, I'd be glad to help out.
    I don't really want to mess with commercial software, but you can try patching it yourself. Use a hex editor or a PRC editor on the TreoSelecText prc file, and replace instances of 'hede' with 'FpNh' - then install the patched prc of TreoSelecText and the FieldPlus-notify.prc from the zip file I posted above.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTreoGuy
    The only added bonus to the hack seems to be the volume scroll (and suppress key click, which I can use that other hack for) but why is that better/different from using the 5 way to scroll?
    The volume scroll is by page (usually) in TreoKeyHack, not line-by-line.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon
    I answered my own question:

TreoKeyHack + CutPaste5 + KB LightsOff (non-Auto Mode) + Butler = 520 tics

Modded KeyCaps + Modded Field Plus + CutPaste5 + KB LightsOff (non-Auto Mode) + SupressKeyClick Sound + Butler = 464 tics.

doomsey's KeyCaps has the 10ms increments I want too. Nice work doomsey!
    Are you using the latest version of TreoKeyHack (0.4.1)? Its significantly faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by doomsey
    I don't really want to mess with commercial software, but you can try patching it yourself. Use a hex editor or a PRC editor on the TreoSelecText prc file, and replace instances of 'hede' with 'FpNh' - then install the patched prc of TreoSelecText and the FieldPlus-notify.prc from the zip file I posted above.
    Worked like a charm!

If anybody else uses TreoSelecText, I'd strongly recommend patching the file using doomsey's method. I'm running consistently at 238tics, 2sec.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doomsey
    I don't have the source. I made a small patch to the binary of FieldPlus to make it hook a custom notification instead of the event queue, and built a second application that forwards events to FieldPlus.

Since FieldPlus only cares about certain specific keyboard events, I don't need to forward all of the possible events to the custom notification. In fact, I only forward a small subset of keyboard events (I hope I got enough for it to do its job!), so the vast majority of events are discarded by the forwarder. Since the sublaunch is only performed if the forwarder determines an event is relevant to FieldPlus, most events are processed without going through the slow notification process.

Thus, even though FieldPlus itself is still using the slow sublaunch notification, very few events get sent through to FieldPlus, and the overhead from running it is greatly reduced.
    Cool. Thanks for the explanation.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s0niqu3
    Worked like a charm!

If anybody else uses TreoSelecText, I'd strongly recommend patching the file using doomsey's method. I'm running consistently at 238tics, 2sec.

Why would you use this instead of the modded FieldPlus though? Does it have advantages?
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon

Why would you use this instead of the modded FieldPlus though? Does it have advantages?
    more than anything, I'm just used to TreoSelecText and how it works. I'll have to give FieldPlus a try now.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    With fieldplus_patched, I'm down to 128 seconds (without, it's 219 seconds). Such a big difference. Thanks doomsey!!! I noticed the difference especially when writing using shortcut5. I do a lot of .dts, and after the patch, it's lightning-speed fast!! Do you think you can patch scrolljump too? It's from the same creator too (Ansel Rognlie) and freeware too.

This thread is really something. I didn't even know about all these background process thingies until I read this thread (I still don't understand a word of the technical stuff, but, at least as a user, I got all the best stuff out of the discussion in this thread). And to think that before this thread, my test speed was 605 seconds. I wonder how I was able to just allow the sluggishness of the phone to not bother me. Guess I just love my Treo no matter what.
    Aldamon - I've tested 22,071 tics and 221 seconds on my SprintPCS Treo 600. Got some cleaning to do apparantly.

Hede:
    - Initiate m68k 102DA694
    - FieldPlus
    - Profiles
    - KeyCaps600

Hvch:
    - OutCall
    - FieldPlus
    - mVoice
    - TreoGuard

Couldn't locate the hpps list though. And after removing or deactivating FieldPlus, Profiles and KeyCaps I went down to 7,523 tics and 76 seconds. I then added the TreoKeyHack (v.0.4.1) and the speed changed to 14,942 tics and 149 seconds.

I don't know if there is any perceivable speed improvement in reducing the numbers below the 15K tics and 149 seconds but I am interested in making my Treo run smoother especially when I'm using pTunes and another app concurrently. Don't want to eliminate mVoice, TreoGuard or Initiate though.
    Sprint Treo 600 (since October '03) --> PPC 6700 (exactly 29 days) --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> BB Curve 8330.
    Quote Originally Posted by emy_77
    With fieldplus_patched, I'm down to 128 seconds (without, it's 219 seconds). Such a big difference. Thanks doomsey!!! I noticed the difference especially when writing using shortcut5. I do a lot of .dts, and after the patch, it's lightning-speed fast!! Do you think you can patch scrolljump too? It's from the same creator too (Ansel Rognlie) and freeware too.
    Untested, but this should work. I patched it to use the same notifier as FieldPlus. Since you already have the notifier installed for FieldPlus, you should be able to simply sync this PRC.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Thanks doomsey for all your work! Would you mind taking a look at Profiles as well?
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Wow doomsey that was quick with scrolljump. Thanks!! I'll give it a try.

But first, I wanna report a bug on fieldplus_patched. With shift+up, it is supposed to select the entire line. It does with the first line, but pressing the up button again doesn't seem to select the next line; instead it scrolls the page up. Same goes with shift+down. With original fieldplus, I don't recall having this problem. Appreciate if you could take a look.
    All,

I just want to chime in here for just a second and say that you have the potential to really make your Treo's unstable by making these changes. I have been getting PM's telling me that their Treo's are crashing after loading some of these modified programs. The practice of using callbacks on Treo 650's is not a safe practice. I know others disagree with me but I really need to let people know that my experience with this technique on the 650's has never been positive.

Please don't flame me for this post. I am just relaying information that I believe to be true.

Jeff
    Wow doomsey that was quick with scrolljump. Thanks!! I'll give it a try.

But first, I wanna report a bug on fieldplus_patched. With shift+up, it is supposed to select the entire line. It does with the first line, but pressing the up button again doesn't seem to select the next line; instead it scrolls the page up. Same goes with shift+down. With original fieldplus, I don't recall having this problem. Appreciate if you could take a look.
    ok, I think I know what's causing that, and I'll get it fixed within a day or two.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    doomsey,

ummm, installing scrolljump doesn't seem to improve the speed. So, I reinstalled the original scrolljump. Then, since the solution for the bug for fieldplus hasn't been released yet, I decided to reinstall the original fieldplus, but not before I deleted fieldplus_notify. However, field_plus notify can't be deleted through Filez since it's a protected database or something. So, I looked in the details and unchecked database. I tried deleting once again. Immediately, my treo reset. Now, everytime I open Filez, my Treo resets. I'm scared now. Is there anything that can be done?
    doomsey,

ummm, installing scrolljump doesn't seem to improve the speed. So, I reinstalled the original scrolljump. Then, since the solution for the bug for fieldplus hasn't been released yet, I decided to reinstall the original fieldplus, but not before I deleted fieldplus_notify. However, field_plus notify can't be deleted through Filez since it's a protected database or something. So, I looked in the details and unchecked database. I tried deleting once again. Immediately, my treo reset. Now, everytime I open Filez, my Treo resets. I'm scared now. Is there anything that can be done?

The scroll jump patch of Doomsey brought down my time from 128 to 30. Just make sure that you have scrolljump enabled with Palminternals so you'll get accurate results. I found out about this as previously I didnt see scrolljump under hede.

Jeff,

If those apps having optimizations with hede are causing the treo 650's instability, why do developers with stable programs still use it? Apps such as Text Plus, Jot, Butler , Initiate, Takephone and 2 day are working well with specific address callbacks.
    I'm scared now. Is there anything that can be done?
    Delete the notifier (and keycaps, and keyshades) from the launcher instead of Filez. The launcher will send a message out that it's trying to delete a database that's been protected, and the hooks will be removed before the database is unlocked.

Filez should but does not follow this protocol.
    I uploaded a fix for the FieldPlus notifier to my web site, which should correct the up/down problem reported by emy_77. You must delete the old version using the launcher before installing the new one.

Jeff Gibson's concerns are valid and it would not surprise me at all if NVFS bugs result in occassional stability problems associated with moving databases in memory. I have not personally had a problem with this, but I do not sell my software and therefore do not need to warrant my software. Since Jeff Gibson sells his software, it is much more important for him to be concerned about stability, and I think that in his place I would probably respond as he has to this thread.
    Last edited by doomsey; 07/23/2005 at 09:19 AM.
Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast