Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2227282930313233 LastLast
    Dammit that's the one thing I use the most on my Treo & It's the one thing that's hogging up everything apparently...
    IS there ANYTHING else I can use that's not as.. hoggish...
    & why don't I have any "hete" heading..?
    Quote Originally Posted by Evillincoln View Post
    Dammit that's the one thing I use the most on my Treo & It's the one thing that's hogging up everything apparently...
    IS there ANYTHING else I can use that's not as.. hoggish...
    & why don't I have any "hete" heading..?
    Try RingCare! It is very processor friendly.

RingCare Information

Jeff
    if anyone is interested in a summary of what is going on here - I have written an article...

As people say, hede if used carefully doesn't need to make any noticeable difference to your treo (it certainly doesn't need to cause instability) - but it has the potential to cause problems if used badly.

http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/Insi...tion-speed.php

the key is how it is used. If apps register 'the slow' way for hede, they will slow your device down. If they register 'the fast way' then they need to take some precautions to make sure they aren't flushed from the cache.

of course - any functions that are called on every event also need to be written carefully to keep them lean!
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    What version of Zlauncher isn't making a big hit? I think I've narrowed it down to ZL that is giving me a huge number. Problem is, I can't imagine my phone without it. I'm using v.5.44.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cascade View Post
    What version of Zlauncher isn't making a big hit? I think I've narrowed it down to ZL that is giving me a huge number. Problem is, I can't imagine my phone without it. I'm using v.5.44.
    I use ZL 5.44 and I'm at 1 sec! There's a post somewhere here or MTDN about settings for ZL that keep it fast. Look for "my zlauncher settings, a tutorial" or "zlauncher tips and tricks"...something like that.

OK...I found it...

I don't remember exactly which of the tips I used, but it helped.

http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/topic,39599.0.html
    Treo 650 Verizon
    Sorry to resurrect this rather old thread, but in my recent quest to clear my HEDE (pun intended) of speed reducing apps, I narrowed it down to KeyCaps600 and ZLauncher only. KeyCaps600 wasn't causing me that much of a performance loss, but ZLauncher was giving me lousy speed tests unless I disabled the "Default Launcher" option.

I contacted ZZTechs, and they sent me a new PRC file called ZLauncherNohede.prc. Works like a charm. My latest speed test with only KeyCaps600 in the HEDE is 158 tics, 1 second. I don't even want to post what my speed test used to be with ZLauncher in the HEDE.

I also discovered some issues with PocketTunes. A version comes on the ROM with my 755p, and it has an option to "Pre-Allocate Memory" for PocketTunes. If I disable that option, PocketTunes does NOT turn up in HEDE anymore. When I installed the free PocketTunes update (v4.x), I found that this option is no longer available under Advanced Options. I also noticed that after every MP3 alarm (PalmaryClock, BugMe Notepad, etc.), that PocketTunes returns to the HEDE, and until I run PocketTunes and then exit it again, it doesn't go away. Clearly something is in v4.x that's causing this to show up in HEDE again, regardless of turning off background play, etc. It won't show up in the HEDE until a MP3 alarm is played, so that tells me something is being left resident in the HEDE after each alarm is played. The older version of PocketTunes does NOT do this, so I dropped back to the ROM version since I don't really use my 755p for music all that much (except for MP3 alarms).

Anyway, I hope this helps someone new looking into all this. Thanks for all the information in this thread -- it helped me a lot.
    Chris
    My thoughts on NVFS:
    Quote Originally Posted by InternetPilot View Post
    Sorry to resurrect this rather old thread, but in my recent quest to clear my HEDE (pun intended) of speed reducing apps, I narrowed it down to KeyCaps600 and ZLauncher only. KeyCaps600 wasn't causing me that much of a performance loss, but ZLauncher was giving me lousy speed tests unless I disabled the "Default Launcher" option.

I contacted ZZTechs, and they sent me a new PRC file called ZLauncherNohede.prc. Works like a charm. My latest speed test with only KeyCaps600 in the HEDE is 158 tics, 1 second. I don't even want to post what my speed test used to be with ZLauncher in the HEDE.

I also discovered some issues with PocketTunes. A version comes on the ROM with my 755p, and it has an option to "Pre-Allocate Memory" for PocketTunes. If I disable that option, PocketTunes does NOT turn up in HEDE anymore. When I installed the free PocketTunes update (v4.x), I found that this option is no longer available under Advanced Options. I also noticed that after every MP3 alarm (PalmaryClock, BugMe Notepad, etc.), that PocketTunes returns to the HEDE, and until I run PocketTunes and then exit it again, it doesn't go away. Clearly something is in v4.x that's causing this to show up in HEDE again, regardless of turning off background play, etc. It won't show up in the HEDE until a MP3 alarm is played, so that tells me something is being left resident in the HEDE after each alarm is played. The older version of PocketTunes does NOT do this, so I dropped back to the ROM version since I don't really use my 755p for music all that much (except for MP3 alarms).

Anyway, I hope this helps someone new looking into all this. Thanks for all the information in this thread -- it helped me a lot.
    Can you email me the Zlaunchernohede.prc file? I am always looking for ways to have my Treo run faster. email is swieder (at) gmail.com
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)

If you load SafeGuard, it will give you more information that PalmInternals. It will show you all applications that use any notification and will keep track of notification usage. Additionally, it will give you actual performance data for each notification as it is used by applications. This will give you a much better idea of the relative performance impact of individual notificaitons like HEDE.

Jeff
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Sorry to resurrect this rather old thread, but in my recent quest to clear my HEDE (pun intended) of speed reducing apps, I narrowed it down to KeyCaps600 and ZLauncher only.
    Thanks for the report. I can't believe this is still an issue after all this time. Nobody had bumped this for a year so I figured apps were behaving now.
    Hi guys.

I just started using this app.

I have no idea how to interpret the findings on this program.

And there ain't no HEDE headings that i can find on my Notification log.

Speed test:
    Time in tics 112, time in secs 1

What does that mean?!
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Hi guys.

I just started using this app.

I have no idea how to interpret the findings on this program.

And there ain't no HEDE headings that i can find on my Notification log.

Speed test:
    Time in tics 112, time in secs 1

What does that mean?!
    PalmInternals doesn't work with the Centro. The 1.2 version won't show the program names, which makes it useless, and 1.9 won't run the notification scan at all. The developers site hasn't been updated since 2005. Too bad the developer choose to abandon what appears to have been a very useful program. We Centro users are out of luck.
    Last edited by SueWalsh623; 09/19/2008 at 03:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SueWalsh623 View Post
    PalmInternals doesn't work with the Centro. The 1.2 version won't show the program names, which makes it useless, and 1.9 won't run the notification scan at all. The developers site hasn't been updated since 2005. Too bad the developer choose to abandon what appears to have been a very useful program. We Centro users are out of luck.
    Version 1.10.2 seems to work just fine with the Centro. I've been using it for months now, with none of the indicated problems.
    --
    "I'm too sexy for my code." - Awk Sed Fred
    You will enjoy SafeGuard much better. It is far more powerful and provides a much easier user interface than PalmInternals. SafeGuard provides crash analysis, crash recovery, crash logging, background application monitoring, background application performance measurement, application history logging and a remote support feature. Additionally, GoTreo provides a realtime, live phone support service offering to help users interpret SafeGuard results and help you identify why your Treo or Centro is misbehaving.

SafeGuard Information: http://www.gotreosoftware.com/products/safeguard/

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by haphazard View Post
    Version 1.10.2 seems to work just fine with the Centro. I've been using it for months now, with none of the indicated problems.
    Maybe it is an issue with GSM Centros? I have a GSM Centro and faces the problem of program names not showing and messed up notification listing.
    1.10.2 works the same on my new AT&T GSM Centro (black ) as it did on the 650 and 600 before it. No hedes, one hvch (KeyGuardTime+). The Speed Test might be a bit off though - I get a result of 30 secs / 3015 tics compared with my old 650 which does 1 sec / 123 tics. 345 notifications on the Centro vs 180 on the (ROM-hacked, app-laden) 650 though.. hmm...

And Jeff you're perhaps a tad biased towards SafeGuard? (although it does look like a good product).
    Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    And Jeff you're perhaps a tad biased towards SafeGuard? (although it does look like a good product).
    Yes I am a bit biased, but I created SafeGuard to make it easier to view this kind of information. SG also gathers more information than PalmInternals. For example, it not only shows what notifications applications are currently using but it shows what notifications an application has used in the past but is not actively using them now. SG also shows you performance information for each notification.

Jeff
    When SafeGuard came out for general food, I did not openly participate in its use, though I did a lot of playing with it on one of my Centros. Both Centros in the family have never had stability issues; however, the application presented the opportunity to play hard with lots of applications to see what would happen if...

Jeff may be biased, but frankly, he has a right to be. The application is by far more reliable and provides better performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson View Post
    You will enjoy SafeGuard much better. It is far more powerful and provides a much easier user interface than PalmInternals. SafeGuard provides crash analysis, crash recovery, crash logging, background application monitoring, background application performance measurement, application history logging and a remote support feature. Additionally, GoTreo provides a realtime, live phone support service offering to help users interpret SafeGuard results and help you identify why your Treo or Centro is misbehaving.

SafeGuard Information: http://www.gotreosoftware.com/products/safeguard/

Jeff
    Dear Jeff,
    To measure background application notifications performance can you add benchmarking for all running notifications.
    For example:
    If I run any application what time in second the notifications take for that application to run.

Some notifications
    'sync' Sent at the end of a hotsync.
    'bozo' When the user presses the 'Forgotten Password' button in the security app, just before every database's private records are deleted.
    'worm'Immediately after the device wakes up
    'lazy' Broadcast a little later when the device is fully woken up
    'volm' When a vfs volume is mounted (sd card inserted)
    'volu' When a vfs volume is unmounted (sd card removed)
    'attn' Attention manager just got users attention
    '-pdb' Protected database is about to be deleted
    'hvch' Sent when a virtual character is about to be processed (like one of the hard keys)
    'hede' Sent when any event is about to be processed
    'hapl' Application about to be launched normally
    'hapq' Application about to quit
    'bsbc' Battery state has changed
    'hpps' A pen stroke on the screen has started
    'scrs' Pen input area has opened or closed (DIA area)
    Quote Originally Posted by number1 View Post
    Dear Jeff,
    To measure background application notifications performance can you add benchmarking for all running notifications.
    For example:
    If I run any application what time in second the notifications take for that application to run.

Some notifications
    'sync' Sent at the end of a hotsync.
    'bozo' When the user presses the 'Forgotten Password' button in the security app, just before every database's private records are deleted.
    'worm'Immediately after the device wakes up
    'lazy' Broadcast a little later when the device is fully woken up
    'volm' When a vfs volume is mounted (sd card inserted)
    'volu' When a vfs volume is unmounted (sd card removed)
    'attn' Attention manager just got users attention
    '-pdb' Protected database is about to be deleted
    'hvch' Sent when a virtual character is about to be processed (like one of the hard keys)
    'hede' Sent when any event is about to be processed
    'hapl' Application about to be launched normally
    'hapq' Application about to quit
    'bsbc' Battery state has changed
    'hpps' A pen stroke on the screen has started
    'scrs' Pen input area has opened or closed (DIA area)
    Great idea! This functionality is already in SafeGuard! You can find this data in the Active Apps menu page. It will track and measure EVERY notification used by non-ROM applications. It does not matter if an application used one of the nearly 40 standard Palm notifications or it created a custom notification, SafeGuard will identify the notificaiton, track its usage and report on its execution performance.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson View Post
    Great idea! This functionality is already in SafeGuard! You can find this data in the Active Apps menu page. It will track and measure EVERY notification used by non-ROM applications. It does not matter if an application used one of the nearly 40 standard Palm notifications or it created a custom notification, SafeGuard will identify the notificaiton, track its usage and report on its execution performance.

Jeff

Jeff,
    I need to compare all notifications SPEED so I can measure background application performance at the end .
    How I can do that with SafeGuard .
    here is the example :
    http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/imag...ifications.gif