Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 520 of 657
  1. #501  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntzupa View Post
    Thru PalmInternals, I freed up my treo's precious resources. I traced that the slow down was caused by Lightwav, Volumecare, snapcalc, and snapdate. My solution?
    VolumeCare is almost completely dormant when there is not an active phone call in progress. It should in no way cause a slowdown in PalmInternals.


    Jeff
  2. #502  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson View Post
    VolumeCare is almost completely dormant when there is not an active phone call in progress. It should in no way cause a slowdown in PalmInternals.


    Jeff
    Hi Jeff!

    How bout when I use to boost the volume of my applications? Isnt it its memory resident and active already?
  3. wpwoodjr's Avatar
    Posts
    94 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #503  
    Quote Originally Posted by yinx View Post
    Because the speed test in PI send ton of events to event queue to test the system speed by measuring the speed of handling these events, normal app. without intensive event handling will not act differently in speed what ever in hede section.
    But when you run a game, for example sky force, you will see aparently.
    My sky force runs very slow before I optimize my Treo by altering some hede app.( sounds also lag,and the app. response speed to the stylus is very slow,game is very slower than you mind).After altering some hede app. the game runs very smoothly.

    Profile app. you can use Profile Care and add the event intensive app. ( like game, or the app. you feel running slow) to the exclude list in Profile Care.(in global option)
    I know that others may disagree but in my experience applications which use Hede also cause the battery life of the Treo to suffer because responding to Hede events is a very CPU intensive process since Hede events happen so frequently.
  4. #504  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson View Post
    I put this feature in ProfileCare specifically for this reason! I knew there would be applications that would require the full processing power of the Treo. Even if I only hooked the less intrusive Virtual Character Handling Event, there would be applications where even this overhead would slow things down. The best alternative is to shut off character processing completely. That is what this option in ProfileCare does!

    Jeff
    cheers!
  5. #505  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntzupa View Post
    Hi Jeff!

    How bout when I use to boost the volume of my applications? Isnt it its memory resident and active already?
    You are correct that VolumeCare will be memory resident. But VolumeCare is only looking for phone events and application launches when there is not an active phone call in progress. Looking for these events produces very little CPU consumption. The only events that are, at all, CPU "heavy" are the character processing ones (hede and hvch). Even these events can be used with minimal impact on CPU consumption if the developer does things correctly.

    At the end of the day, unless you are using something to measure CPU performance, you will probably never see the impact of a background applicaiton on your normal device usage. The only time it will become an issue is if you are using an applciaiton (like a game) that requires full access to the CPU.

    If you want applications to do things for you when you are not actually running them, you will need to accept the fact they require CPU to function. These applications will need to run in the "background" and be memory resident. I have leared over the course of my development career how to minimize the CPU impact of my applications.

    Jeff
  6. #506  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntzupa View Post
    Thru PalmInternals, I freed up my treo's precious resources. I traced that the slow down was caused by Lightwav, Volumecare, snapcalc, and snapdate. My solution?

    1. Lightwav - I use CallFilter instead.
    2. Volumecare - I use VolBooster instead.
    3. snapcalc - I set it to activate using the command bar.
    4. snapdate - I set it to activate using the command bar.

    ----
    Callfilter adds almost 48 seconds. Snapcalc and snapdate negligible when launched from the command bar. VolumeCare doesnt slow down the treo and is negligible. ProfileCare doesnt slow down the Treo. For cpu intensive apps such as Documents to Go, Messaging (with 4000 sms) or Smaato cost, just exclude them from global options of PC.
  7. #507  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson View Post
    You are correct that VolumeCare will be memory resident. But VolumeCare is only looking for phone events and application launches when there is not an active phone call in progress. Looking for these events produces very little CPU consumption. The only events that are, at all, CPU "heavy" are the character processing ones (hede and hvch). Even these events can be used with minimal impact on CPU consumption if the developer does things correctly.

    At the end of the day, unless you are using something to measure CPU performance, you will probably never see the impact of a background applicaiton on your normal device usage. The only time it will become an issue is if you are using an applciaiton (like a game) that requires full access to the CPU.

    If you want applications to do things for you when you are not actually running them, you will need to accept the fact they require CPU to function. These applications will need to run in the "background" and be memory resident. I have leared over the course of my development career how to minimize the CPU impact of my applications.

    Jeff
    Thanks for the info Jeff!


    @MFB

    CallFilter is the most important app on my treo so I can live with the 48sec. btw, have you tried Lightwav? Do you have the figures for it?
  8. #508  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntzupa View Post
    Thanks for the info Jeff!


    @MFB

    CallFilter is the most important app on my treo so I can live with the 48sec. btw, have you tried Lightwav? Do you have the figures for it?
    Yup, using Callfilter as well. It is very useful, just unfortunate that the developer is busy with his real job. It compliments ProfileCare with its integration. I tried Lightwav for a while but is really more for eyecandy. I dont need the full picture and videos. Having selective sms and ring tones is a must. Will get to toy around with it when I find the time. Currently the beta is the latest and I just dont wanna dive in.

    Btw, do you lock CF with Resco? If you use Prefdoctor, you should. Or else it will crash your Treo. All of Jeff's apps are solid now. I didnt lock any of them.
  9. #509  
    Stay far away from Lightwav...far, far away
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

    My beer blogs:

    Rev. Rhino on Flickr

    Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  10. #510  
    test posting using blazer
  11. #511  
    Does anybody notice ptunes is in hede sometime?
    When background mode in ptunes is enabled, and after a backgroud involk,like mp3 ring tone or something,ptune will go to hede section.
    But when you open the main programe and just exit it,it will went away from hede section.
    So when I start to play game,I must first open ptune and close it,to ensure there will be no lags contribute by ptune.
    Can I skip this?
  12. wilsonb's Avatar
    Posts
    434 Posts
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    #512  
    Heya Guys,

    I have dealt with this lag way to long.. Now it's interfering with business.

    PLEASE let me know how I can identify what is causing the lag on my Sprint Treo 700p.

    What debug apps do I need?

    I have PalmInternals, not 100% sure on how to use it yet.

    Thanks so much

    I went through this thread for apps listed and so far not using any of the suggested culprits..

    Tanx
    ============,,,================
    ===========(o o)===============
    =======oOO==(_)==OOo===========
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    Treo650- Sprint custom rom
    Tungsten T3 creative design.
    http://www.WilsonBradley.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wilsonbradley
    AOL screen name; WilsonIsON
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    ========ooooO==Ooooo==========
    =========( )===( )==========
    ==========\ (====) /===========
    ===========\_)==(_/============
  13. #513  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonb View Post
    Heya Guys,

    I have dealt with this lag way to long.. Now it's interfering with business.

    PLEASE let me know how I can identify what is causing the lag on my Sprint Treo 700p.

    What debug apps do I need?

    I have PalmInternals, not 100% sure on how to use it yet.

    Thanks so much

    I went through this thread for apps listed and so far not using any of the suggested culprits..

    Tanx
    Run PalmInternals and run Speed Test from the drop down. What's your speed?
  14. wpwoodjr's Avatar
    Posts
    94 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #514  
    The 700p has speed problems that are unrelated to the hede issue. The 700p is slow to write to its data storage area in NVRAM. This makes some apps sluggish and also makes it slow to switch between apps and turn the device off and on. The 650 is actually a much snappier device, except for the EVDO which is faster than 1X RTT (but not by much in many cases!).
  15. #515  
    Quote Originally Posted by WPWoodJr View Post
    The 700p has speed problems that are unrelated to the hede issue. The 700p is slow to write to its data storage area in NVRAM. This makes some apps sluggish and also makes it slow to switch between apps and turn the device off and on. The 650 is actually a much snappier device, except for the EVDO which is faster than 1X RTT (but not by much in many cases!).
    You are correct except the slowness is also related to read operations from NVFS.

    Jeff
  16. wilsonb's Avatar
    Posts
    434 Posts
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    #516  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs View Post
    Run PalmInternals and run Speed Test from the drop down. What's your speed?
    Hoovs,

    Thanks for responding..

    Here are my results;
    "Speed test. Measures time of 10000 keypress events extraction from queue.
    Time in tics 21701, time in secs 217"


    Just don't ask me what it means,,,
    Thanks so much for your help..
    ============,,,================
    ===========(o o)===============
    =======oOO==(_)==OOo===========
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    Treo650- Sprint custom rom
    Tungsten T3 creative design.
    http://www.WilsonBradley.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wilsonbradley
    AOL screen name; WilsonIsON
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    ========ooooO==Ooooo==========
    =========( )===( )==========
    ==========\ (====) /===========
    ===========\_)==(_/============
  17. wilsonb's Avatar
    Posts
    434 Posts
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    #517  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson View Post
    You are correct except the slowness is also related to read operations from NVFS.

    Jeff
    It feels like you guys know more than Palm does..
    With the deals you guys know about the internals.. would you say a "fix" patch from palm would be all the hard to come up with?
    They don't even acknowledge that there is a problem.
    Last edited by Wilsonb; 11/27/2006 at 12:01 PM.
    ============,,,================
    ===========(o o)===============
    =======oOO==(_)==OOo===========
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    Treo650- Sprint custom rom
    Tungsten T3 creative design.
    http://www.WilsonBradley.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wilsonbradley
    AOL screen name; WilsonIsON
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    ========ooooO==Ooooo==========
    =========( )===( )==========
    ==========\ (====) /===========
    ===========\_)==(_/============
  18. #518  
    Mine says:

    Time in tics 602, time in secs 6.

    I recommend turning all your goodies off and doing a speed test. If you activate them one by one while performing speed test you'll figure out which eat up your cpu time.

    RicardoG
  19. wilsonb's Avatar
    Posts
    434 Posts
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    #519  
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoG View Post
    I recommend turning all your goodies off and doing a speed test. If you activate them one by one while performing speed test you'll figure out which eat up your cpu time.

    RicardoG
    I'm sorry, Im still trying to figure out how to use the software.
    So, what do I select to see the (goodie) apps to uninstall? There are a few options and am trying to understand.

    There are a few options to look at.

    Thanks
    ============,,,================
    ===========(o o)===============
    =======oOO==(_)==OOo===========
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    Treo650- Sprint custom rom
    Tungsten T3 creative design.
    http://www.WilsonBradley.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wilsonbradley
    AOL screen name; WilsonIsON
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    ========ooooO==Ooooo==========
    =========( )===( )==========
    ==========\ (====) /===========
    ===========\_)==(_/============
  20. aldamon's Avatar
    Posts
    650 Posts
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
       #520  
    Read the thread Wilsonb, starting with my first post. This is a no-spoon-feed zone.

Posting Permissions