Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
    I recently installed PI on my Treo600. I run a speed test and score only

15757 tics 158 sec

As a result,here is what in hede section after a full notify with all option selected:

--hede--
    71 'LightWav' pri -15
    72 'Profiles'
    73 'NetSelect' m68k 10BFD34E Stg
    74 'Butler' m68k 106C683C Stg
    75 'PocketTunes' m68k 10DC3F8C Stg ref 102D2394

here is my testing record

1.After I disabled Lightwav , I got 94sec then, is Lightwav such an evil?(cost 64sec)

2.Disabled Lightwav and netselect the result changes to 90sec ,netselect only cost 4 sec?

3.Also disable profiles then, I only got 14 ! profiles contribute 76sec ?

4.finaly ,let's disable butler ,I also got 14?! Still found butler under hede section

5.It's ptune's turn ,but I doesn't find anyway to disable it.

As I seen , Lightwav and profiles are two software that slow down my machine most. Is there any substitution software? Or I just misconfigure the two of them ?
    BTW. How to totally disable butler ? Is there some way to disable ptune?

Finally I launch skyforce,there is a significant speed boost up!!
    Lightwav really sucks the performance out of our Treos.

I've never seen ptunes in hede before. Phone Technician doesn't kill your performance like Lightwav does. You can check that one out and Ringo is also popular, but I don't know about how it does with hede.
    you can actually see from your hede rfecord which apps are likely to slow a lot.
    the ones which don't have an m68k number are launching the app rather than calling a function. (see my previous post for details on that)

To disable butler completely, the easiest way is just to move it to the sd card.
    I suspect pTunes is registering so it can handle the volume keys in the background. Just a guess through. There may be some way to disable this function.
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    It will be real nice if programs that hook the 'hede' can provide an API for quick enabling/disabling themselves, so that some genious can write a hack to quickly disable/enabling them on the go when need to.

I replaced Lightwav with Phone Technician, the hede is gone and the score goes from 158s to 97s .Thanks.

What about "profile" ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    Time in tics 112, time in secs 1

I'm now at Time in tics 96, time in secs 1

This is after removing FontsOS5 which had me at

Time in tics 3556, time in secs 37

I do have CityID, pTunes Deluxe, TreoAlarm, Volume Care, Ringo Pro, Uninstall, PocketSat+, SnapperMail running so I'm happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by aph
    Figured out how to get rid of the Fonts4OS5 hede routine hook. Just get FontHackV and activate it but don't configure it. The latest version gets rid of the whitespaces in menu bug without a hede hook, unlike Fonts4OS5, which slows you down. Run both together and you have no white spaces and no slowdowns.
    Quick question...... Any reason not to just use FontHackV and it's fonts INSTEAD of FontsOS5? Just curious because FontHackV seems to give a ton of fonts.
    Quote Originally Posted by scrote
    I'm now at Time in tics 96, time in secs 1
    That's pretty quick! Is this on a 650 or 700p?
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    That's pretty quick! Is this on a 650 or 700p?
    700p
    Before profiles my score was 333 in 3s. After, enabling it, my score ballooned up to 3877 in 39s. Are there other profile apps available, well besides ProfileCare of course? I scoured the entire forum looking for alternatives, but couldn't find any. Did Milan provide one w/o the 'hede' resource hog? In terms of real world application, what does this slow-down mean? I have read a ton of threads about PI and related inferences, but I still don't know the answer to this ques. Thanks much in advance. Cheers!
    Just downloaded and ran this program, first impressions are, its a very good app, BUT is there any written documentation on how to interpret the results of the scans and what they mean?
    Thanks for any info
    Gordon
    Quote Originally Posted by GordTopps
    Just downloaded and ran this program, first impressions are, its a very good app, BUT is there any written documentation on how to interpret the results of the scans and what they mean?
    Thanks for any info
    Gordon
    Read the thread. It's all explained.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevengoh View Post
    You can use the free hex editor: frhed from www.kibria.de/frhed.html

Open DBCacheTool.prc (ver 2.0a) in frhed, replace all occurances of 'hede'
    with 'none' (3 times) & save it. It will hook 'hede' no more.
    Does this affect the function of the app? Can I try this on other apps (CallFilter) that hook hede? What is the reason for hooking hede?
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abe frohman View Post
    Does this affect the function of the app? Can I try this on other apps (CallFilter) that hook hede? What is the reason for hooking hede?
    All of your answers are in my first post on Page 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
    All of your answers are in my first post on Page 1.
    Thanks...I did read that. I understand why replacing 'hede' with 'none' will give better PI speed tests...but, I'm still not sure why it seems to have no effect on the app...that I can see. I did it with DBCacheTool a while back and I just did it to CallFilter. My Verizon Treo650 didn't explode when I hotsynced the hede-free callfilter to it...and callfilter seems to be doing its job. A few days will tell.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abe frohman View Post
    I'm still not sure why it seems to have no effect on the app...that I can see.
    Most likely because the developer was lazy and hooked hede unnecessarily. Sometimes only some functions hook hede so it can be avoided that way too.
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
    Most likely because the developer was lazy and hooked hede unnecessarily. Sometimes only some functions hook hede so it can be avoided that way too.
    Hmm...definitely not a lazy developer (imho)...maybe just some functions hook hede...

I'll go ask in that forum...

Thanks!

Abe
    Quote Originally Posted by Leee View Post
    Before profiles my score was 333 in 3s. After, enabling it, my score ballooned up to 3877 in 39s. Are there other profile apps available, well besides ProfileCare of course? I scoured the entire forum looking for alternatives, but couldn't find any. Did Milan provide one w/o the 'hede' resource hog? In terms of real world application, what does this slow-down mean? I have read a ton of threads about PI and related inferences, but I still don't know the answer to this ques. Thanks much in advance. Cheers!
    Because the speed test in PI send ton of events to event queue to test the system speed by measuring the speed of handling these events, normal app. without intensive event handling will not act differently in speed what ever in hede section.
    But when you run a game, for example sky force, you will see aparently.
    My sky force runs very slow before I optimize my Treo by altering some hede app.( sounds also lag,and the app. response speed to the stylus is very slow,game is very slower than you mind).After altering some hede app. the game runs very smoothly.

Profile app. you can use Profile Care and add the event intensive app. ( like game, or the app. you feel running slow) to the exclude list in Profile Care.(in global option)
    Quote Originally Posted by yinx View Post
    Profile app. you can use Profile Care and add the event intensive app. ( like game, or the app. you feel running slow) to the exclude list in Profile Care.(in global option)
    I put this feature in ProfileCare specifically for this reason! I knew there would be applications that would require the full processing power of the Treo. Even if I only hooked the less intrusive Virtual Character Handling Event, there would be applications where even this overhead would slow things down. The best alternative is to shut off character processing completely. That is what this option in ProfileCare does!

Jeff
    Thru PalmInternals, I freed up my treo's precious resources. I traced that the slow down was caused by Lightwav, Volumecare, snapcalc, and snapdate. My solution?

1. Lightwav - I use CallFilter instead.
    2. Volumecare - I use VolBooster instead.
    3. snapcalc - I set it to activate using the command bar.
    4. snapdate - I set it to activate using the command bar.

Now, my treo runs like a speeding bullet. Specially opening/searching of DocstoGo documents, playing multimedia, and playing games.

I would also like to commend HobbyistSoftware developer for a really reliable and efficient apps like the Butler and Phone Technician.

This thread has been really helpful to me and my treo. Thanks again for the guidance guys!