Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast
    I really like TextPlus. I have added my parked phrases from ClipPro to TextPlus and now it really don't need ClipPro. However, I have 2 issues:
    -PalmInternals crashes from time to time with TextPlus enable
    -Is there a way to store the database on the SD card?

Thanks,

Al

Update:
    -I have disable the all applications text anywhere and PalmInternals is not crashing any more.
    -I have installed:
    Butler
    KBlights
    KeyCaps600 (mod)
    LedOff
    VolumeCare
    TextPlus
    FieldPlus (mod)
    TAC

And I am on 11 secs. Sounds good.

I think TAC is on the hede list too and it has a high sec rate. I believe something like 8 or so.

Al
    If anyone found apps that cause PI crash, please tell me about it. There are few heuristic methods in PI that can be wrong sometimes.
    To prevent text plus and other background apps from crashing or contributing to your treo crash experience, lock it to dbcache using resco locker. I locked apps I found under hede and have no problems. The database for text plus is only 200 to 300 kb so its really not a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_n
    If anyone found apps that cause PI crash, please tell me about it. There are few heuristic methods in PI that can be wrong sometimes.
    Igor,

When I run a full notif from menu, I enable all 4 types. However after notif., the first and last is disabled again. Why is this so?
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by igor_n
    I can't run the database scan with any version of PalmInternals anymore I'm not sure what happened. If I allow the scan, either the screen becomes corrupted or my Treo reboots:

http://www.damontech.net/aldamonpi01.gif

Any ideas? Is there something in my database that can cause this strange behavior? The database scan doesn't seem to be necessary anyway. Notif. updates fine without it.
    Seems like you have very low dbcache available for Palminternals to run. How much ram do you have free?
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB
    How much ram do you have free?
    Thanks. That was the problem. I recently reinstalled WebPro into RAM and it dropped my available memory down to 8MB. I freed up some memory and the scan works again.
    Last edited by aldamon; 08/19/2005 at 07:51 AM.
    I just LOVE TealScript so I can Grafitti anywhere. It CLOBBERS the Speed score, and maybe unjustly.

My treo650 is relatively new and free of hacks (my old palms were FULL of hacks - now I'm only doing them one at a time over a longer period of time)

Anyway, with Tealscript: 4300 (give or take) tics in 43 seconds.

Without TealScript: 111 tics in 1 second.

Now here's the thing: I just don't notice a real-world slowdown when I have tealscript on versus off. VFSMark, for example shows less than a 1% difference either way.

The PI Benchmark here is a test of keypress events, and how much time it takes to process 10,000 of them. Is it possible that some apps that alter input (like TealScript) are generating artifically SUPER SLOW benchmark results that aren't reflective of the real world?

What are some good apps that I would really notice a slowdown? Camcorder certainly is NOT one of them.

-Warr
    I use Jot instead of tealscript. It has little effect to the speedtest.
    His point is that Tealscript has no effect on the usability of the Treo, only on the speedtest.

wernst: I have heard of people playing videos (eg with TCPMP) to complaining about stuttering when they had software that was slowing down speedtest. I haven't verified it myself.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Not THIS again. Yes, 390 posts later and it's all a figment of our imagination. LOL. The affects of the slowdowns are cumulative. If you aren't "feeling" a slowdown right now, you might when you add another hack later. The idea here is NOT to go without critical programs, it's to use more efficient alternatives when they are available so you have more headroom available for irreplaceable hacks/programs.
    Last edited by aldamon; 09/07/2005 at 06:49 AM.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I found significant slowdowns when moving from image to image in the media app.

MFB, where can you buy jot these days?
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon
    Not THIS again. Yes, 390 posts later and it's all a figment of our imagination. LOL. The affects of the slowdowns are cumulative. If you aren't "feeling" a slowdown right now, you might when you add another hack later. The idea here is NOT to go without critical programs, it's to use more efficient alternatives when they are available so you have more headroom available for irreplaceable hacks/programs.
    Sigh. You totally missed my point.

What I'm saying is I am WONDERING is applications that alter text input routines are affecting this benchmark MUCH more than other background applications are aren't text input oriented.

You'll get no argument from me that background process slow down Palms (or computers) in general.

When one bechmarks says a particular app makes a palm 43 TIMES SLOWER, and another benchmark shows less than a 1% difference, asking questions is justified, even if the two benchmarks are apples and oranges.

-Warr
    the PalmInternals speed test is specifically designed to measure the impact of applications that hook the event loop on event processing. The higher the number, the longer it takes to process a single event.

Most applications only process events when user input occurs; these applications will be largely unaffected by applications hooking the event queue and taking a lot of time to do their work. Other applications, particularly games, send events through the queue constantly (to do animation, for instance), and can be dramatically slowed down.
    Quote Originally Posted by doomsey
    the PalmInternals speed test is specifically designed to measure the impact of applications that hook the event loop on event processing. The higher the number, the longer it takes to process a single event.

Most applications only process events when user input occurs; these applications will be largely unaffected by applications hooking the event queue and taking a lot of time to do their work. Other applications, particularly games, send events through the queue constantly (to do animation, for instance), and can be dramatically slowed down.
    Thanks for the explanation. This allows me to do a dramatic test.

I have Pinballz v1.56 (dated 2001) that I've been playing since that long on my older devices. It is heavy with animations.

With Tealscript enabled, it runs MUCH MORE SLOWLY except when a hard button is pressed, when it speeds up to an unplayable level.

When Tealscript disabled, it runs at the extremely fast and unplayable level all the time, regardless of button presses.

Ironcially, the game is actually playable when tealscript is enabled, and totally unplayable when disabled, but then, this program was written 4 years ago when all Palm Pilots were all about the same speed.

But that said, this game shows the differences in speed quite dramatically. I'm sure other games will show similar results...

Thanks,
    Warr
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Thanks Doomsey
    Quote Originally Posted by WPWoodJr

I found it here: http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-...ot_for_Palm_OS

I'm not sure where the money would go to purchase it, since CIC got out of the Palm end user software business...

-Warr
    I have read through this entire thread today, and after installing and running PI, my speed test results come up as 50 secs. I checked the notifications, and only Butler and DBCacheTool show up under hede. I don't see the other two important sections mentioned earlier in this thread. Any ideas why 50 secs?
    Quote Originally Posted by WPWoodJr

Since CiC no longer sells it or supports Jot, is it okay for me to just give you a registered copy?
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Must be DBCacheTool, Butler doesn't add much overhead.