Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    I just hotsync TreoKeyHack.prc. I see it on my Treo 65, but cant find the icon. How does this hack show up on my Treo?

update: I just saw that I need "Yet Another Hack Manager"
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by doomsey
    ok, another new version of keycaps:
    * reduced overhead on the specific case benchmarked by the Speed Test
    * fixed phone incoming call bug
    * fixed Alt and 0 weirdness on T650

Please let me know of any problems, especially on a Treo 600 as I can't test that code.

http://www.nekito.net/~sachs/palm
    This new version works great on my GSM 650. My speed results went way down to tics 165 time in secs 1. It was over 70 secs with the old Keycaps.

Is there someway that you are identifying this updated version of Keycaps in the About box?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    All,

I just want to chime in here for just a second and say that you have the potential to really make your Treo's unstable by making these changes. I have been getting PM's telling me that their Treo's are crashing after loading some of these modified programs. The practice of using callbacks on Treo 650's is not a safe practice. I know others disagree with me but I really need to let people know that my experience with this technique on the 650's has never been positive.

Please don't flame me for this post. I am just relaying information that I believe to be true.

Jeff
    Jeff, I take it you are talking about the technique that Doomsey is using and not about TreoKeyHack, right?
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Igor, are you sill going to make a new version of PalmInternals available which doesn't crash with NVFS file systems?
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WPWoodJr
    Jeff, I take it you are talking about the technique that Doomsey is using and not about TreoKeyHack, right?
    I hope so. I'm going back to TreoKeyHack in the meantime. Sorry doomsey. Maybe if you and igor worked together on TreoKeyHack the modified versions of KeyCaps and FieldPlus would irrelevant?
    Quote Originally Posted by WPWoodJr
    What I am saying is that using callbacks in applications that do background processing will eventually lead to system crashes. This is based on my experiences and my understanding of the Treo's NVFS architecture. I would be soooo happy if someone would prove me wrong from a verified P1 source. It would make my programming life so much easier if I could use some of these techinques. The problem is that, there are so many errors and misleading statements in the P1 documentation. This makes this source extermely unreliable. And just because other developers have released applications that use this technology does not make it right or prove it works. (It also does not prove that it doesn't work.) I will bet that if you really put some activity against the device as these applications are running, you will begin to see random failures but the failures will not point to any of these applications as the cause. So all I can say is that if you are just trying to get better performance numbers from an application like PalmInternals, you are playing with fire by using these solutions. If you have an applicaiton that does not run right becuase another background applicaiton is consuming too much CPU, then my suggestion would be to disable the CPU hog when you need the CPU cycles.

How long have people on this board complained about crashing Treos? Just at the point in time when the new ROMs are addressing many people's issues, there are activities like this and others that have the potential to start making people's Treo's unstable again. Custom ROMs, hacked programs, 'hede' callbacks for the sake of better performance numbers.....

Don't get me wrong. I am all for application performance and the awareness of performance during developement. I also am not throwing stones. Some of my applications were causing problems recently and I have been spending many hours fixing them mostly based on new behaviors introduced by the new ROM's. These Treo's are *so* fragile that I can just see what is going to happen if this practice continues. I just feel it is my responsibility to let the Treo community know how I feel.

IN NO WAY AM I MAKING A PERSONAL OR PROFESSIONAL ATTACK AGAINST ANYONE IN THE THREAD.

I promise this will be that last time I post about this subject but I do *very* much welcome a PM channel to correct my perception and knowledge on NVFS architectures. I will be glad to employ any technology that will better the general Palm World!

Jeff
    I had under hede:
    fieldplus
    butler
    mcphling
    profiles
    kblights
    keyboard
    ---------
    speed was 178s (17801 tics)
    I deleted fieldplus, disabled keycaps600 and added treokeyhack.
    speed is now 115s (11443 tics)

I guess it is slower than the rest of you all but I want these apps on my treo. Maybe I can try profilecare...my app budget is a little low now.

Thanks Igor.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB
    Apps such as Text Plus, Jot, Butler , Initiate, Takephone and 2 day are working well with specific address callbacks.
    Hi,

Just a note here - I am not sure I understand what "specific address callbacks" are, but I dont think I use them - the improvements I made to 2day & OutCall(TAKEphONE) are only replacing the 'hede' notification with 'hvch' (since I realized that's all I need there).

I am hesitant to make deeper changes to my code at this stage, and this certainly improved the performance as it is.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    Sorry for the misunderstanding Shimon. For a lack of words, I should have posted "apps not using sublaunch for hede".
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB
    Sorry for the misunderstanding Shimon. For a lack of words, I should have posted "apps not using sublaunch for hede".
    No need at all to be sorry.

What I meant to say is I think Jeff is reffering to the method mentioned of building ARM stuff and/or callbacks to handle the 'hede' notification (sort of a "notification proxy"), which I understand his concern about stability, although I thought locking the code section might be enough to protect it.

Anyway - on another note - I have been using YAHM for some other project, and it is quite stable as far as I can tell.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    HELP IGOR N PLEASE

I just started using Treokeyhack and it doesnít bypass the system autocaps for the 1st letter (i.e. in memos if I wanna take notes and start with a number, say 1, hold set to e>E>1, I hold e and it types E1. I know its kinda base off of keycaps but this isnít a problem in keycaps. I find your hack very useful as it takes the place of three other apps and it doesnít slow my treo by running in hede, so I hope this is something you would be willing to look into.

Thanks in advance
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    My five cents about NVFS/

All troubles with NVFS devices can be divided into two areas.

First one is well known programming methodology fact: if programming interface has one implementation, than all implementation quirks became part of this interface. NVFS became second implementation of Data Manager API, so all specific features of classic DM still used by developers, but aren't valid. For example, function DmReleaseResource make nothing and there are too many programs that forgot to call this function. It works with classic devices but it can produce leaks on NVFS device. It's a developers fault.

The second area is the problems with NVFS data cache overflow. When data cache is full, NFVS tries to clean it up. There are no exact description of cleaning algorithm. I think that Jeff meets with bad behaviour of cleaning.

What's the problem with callback (procedure) notifications and alarms? This kind of notification require to leave code segment locked and _released_. What happens when cleaning algorithm meets locked and released chunk in datacache? It's unknown. I thought that early releases of NVFS (like TT5 before update) can make this chunk free.

Anyway, next week YAHM/YAHMLib releases will copy code segment to dynamic heap on NVFS devices. It's a memory waste but it can make your device a bit safer. If someone meets with bad YAHM behaviour on NVFS devices, please contact me, I'll send you current YAHM beta.

From the other side, I meet one problem with DBCache overflow. The latest PalmInternals tries to open all databases and check all resources. This operation leads to DBCache overflow and PI crash.
    Hi all,

Posted version 1.31 (14r) at www.shsh.com/beta

Fix for the improved notification handlers (replacing 'hede').

Thanks !
    Shimon Shnitzer
    also, I have a version of keycaps/keyshades/fieldplus notifier that copies itself into feature memory (another non-database storage structure) that I've been trying out. Once again, if people are having stability problems with the public version, contact me directly via email and I can send out copies to try.
    Doomsey,

Are these better than the versions you released on this thread ? How does it perform with the speedtest? Can you upload it here instead ?
    Last edited by MFB; 07/24/2005 at 10:33 AM.
    Is it any better? No, all of the applications are exactly the same except for how they register the event handler. Is it this new method more stable? Maybe, if Jeff Gibson is right, and if what I've done worked around the NVFS bugs in question. Do I trust it? Not yet. Unless your Treo is crashing excessively, give me a few days and I'll post the new versions.
    Ok, kindly disregard the email I just sent you. I'm not having any problems with what you've released here. I've adjusted keycaps (230 and 250) as not to increase my cursor and scroll speed too much as this caused lock ups yesterday. I'll just give it a go if I do reset (not due to dbcache depletion) or a lockup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    HELP IGOR N PLEASE

I just started using Treokeyhack and it doesnít bypass the system autocaps for the 1st letter (i.e. in memos if I wanna take notes and start with a number, say 1, hold set to e>E>1, I hold e and it types E1. I know its kinda base off of keycaps but this isnít a problem in keycaps. I find your hack very useful as it takes the place of three other apps and it doesnít slow my treo by running in hede, so I hope this is something you would be willing to look into.

Thanks in advance
    i read where other had this problem, now i cant find the post . am i the only one having this happen? if anyone found a fix for this please let me know (the only things showing hede now are butler and keyshades)
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    HELP IGOR N PLEASE

Thanks in advance
    Yep, it is happening with me too. If the Capitalization is on, TreoKeyHack's Option 1 will type the Capital Letter then the alternate letter. Like E1 instead of just 1.

The other thing is I dont see the poput menu like FieldPlus when I press shift+select (center button).

But it is a very nice app indeed.
    Is there any way to avoid the slow down with lightwav? I liked the program and would hate to see my money go to waste.

Nevertheless, it was slowing my treo big time.

Thoughts?