1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if the side button has any function in standard palm aps?
    I know it can be customized to launch any one ap, but once iin an application does it function as a key?
    it does not
    It does in RealPlayer.
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
    but not in standard palm apps
    use it for slap
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    but not in standard palm apps
    It is a dedicated play/pause button when running RealPlayer, even when in standard palm apps.

If you start RealPlayer and then launch VersaMail (for example) you can use the side button to pause and then resume MP3 playback.

So, it doesn't do anything in other apps because it can't as it is hardwired (figuratively speaking) to RealPlayer.
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
    you can use butler to configure the side button among many other things.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I have my side button mapped to lauch zLauncher's quickLaunch menu from anywhere. Works just great (on my 600, I had the power button perform this function). Since zLauncher was able to do it, I'm guessing other apps could also be written to use that button.

Dana
    You can go into the button section in preferences and make it launch any app if you hold it down for a second or 2. I have mine linked to Teallock.
    Cingular Branded Treo 650
    Firmware: 1.51
    Software: 1.13

----
    JK
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    I use the side button to launch Hi-Launcher.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    I use the side button to launch Voice Dial.
    Yes, it has a function in all applications. If you ever have a drop down menu open in any application including the phone, just press the side button and it goes away. I have the button set to launch preferences, but that has nothing to do with the above mentioned feature.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Yes, it has a function in all applications. If you ever have a drop down menu open in any application including the phone, just press the side button and it goes away.
    If you have a drop-down open, just press the menu button again (the one you already pressed to get the drop-down) and it goes away.

I use the side button for quick activation of the Security screen, so if I go out and about I can quickly 'Lock & Turn Off...' to protect my Treo in case of loss or theft. And it will still receive phone calls while 'Locked & Off'.
    We have it set up to start a voice memo in DayNotez. If the running app ignores the keypress, it might get passed back up to the OS, in which case, like some have stated, it could control a background app such as RealPlayer.

Within the Phone app, a press and hold can be configured to launch any app. I think (just guessing here) that a short (normal) tap may be reserved for those more-than-annoying Push-To-Talk features that Palm was talking about incorporating into the Treo.
    Bryan Nystrom
    Natara Software, Inc.