1.    #1  
    Is it possible to send and recieve email on the 650 with the data plan? I'm trying but it keeps telling me that it has to connect. I just cancelled my data plan because I thought it was a waste of money.

Thanks in advance!

//
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius2010
    Is it possible to send and recieve email on the 650 with the data plan? I'm trying but it keeps telling me that it has to connect. I just cancelled my data plan because I thought it was a waste of money.

Thanks in advance!

//
    I assume you mean "Is it possible to send and recieve email on the 650 with *out* the data plan?"

In that case, then no. Email is data and you need a data plan to send and receive it.

Brett
    You can get a pay as ypu go data plan but it will start adding up if you do a lot of email.
  4.    #4  
    Okay. The only other way to send and recieve email with"out" the data plan () would be to compose on the TREO and the messages will send on the next sync?

//
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Verizon is the biggest rip off when it comes to data plans. I have nothing but contempt for them since they've hooked my family and charge through the nose for the Internet because they can... for now. You really have no choice but to use the unlimited plan for email or occasional web surfing UNLESS (1) you have a very small volume of email (a dozen messages a day), (2) You don't connect more than once a day, at best, (3) you only download headers first. 5 MB of data is a joke. It's the equivalent of less than 4 floppy disks -- and that costs you $25. Pay as you go... you'll pay. Only use it on a rare occasion or not at all.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius2010

Thanks in advance!

//
    I was recently upgraded (compliments of VZW) to a 650 after my 3rd 600 died (all within 1 month). I had the MOU plan enabled on my T600 where data connect time was taken from my minutes. Apparently this was a somewhat antiquated plan (old National Access plan). Well, after the upgrade to the 650, I was unwittingly subscribed to a "pay as you go" data plan, and managed to rack up a pretty nasty bill, as I was operating on the MOU premise. So, incensed, I called VZW where they (the Data team) informed me that you MUST have a data plan for the treo 650. After considerable debate, I agreed and she transferred me to a "regular" (non data team) CSR to get this set up. Once she disconnected from the call, I told the CSR that I wanted to go back to my old plan where my data connection time was simply taken from my minutes. He warned me of the consequences, ie. remaining connected and scorching all of your monthly minutes, but I agreed that the risk was manageable. So, all told after a nearly 90 minute exchange I was put back on MOU with my new Treo 650. The CSR (who was awesome BTW) even went back and adjusted the current data charges and applied the data connection duration to my monthly minutes--effectively negating the data charge altogether.

The take home messages:

1. MOU does indeed still exist--but fight for it quickly, as it will likely be phased out (I managed to get a 2 yr contract).

2. You DO NOT need to get the $45-$59 data plan from VZW in order to access the net.

3. As far as connection speed goes, I regularly get 110+KB/s here in Rochester, NY. Works great for me, as I am a relatively "light" net user (email, DirAssist etc.). Not sure how this compares to the "pay" data plans, but I'm pretty happy.

Good Luck!!
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Check your bill next month. From my understanding the MOU plan does not apply for the Treos because they use a completely different network. I was adamantly refused the MOU plan a dozen times and it was the source of about 10 phone calls. Several others here have the same. My plan kept on being automatically reset to the current data plans.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I checked it online, and it has all of my current data connects credited toward minutes. Lists minutes not kb downloaded. Because I had the MOU plan on my old 600, they honored it as they upgraded my phone to the 650 due to probs with my 600. So, in theory, it should remain for the duration of this contract. Have to wait and see if this holds true.