Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Have the Verizon Treo's been more reliable. I need to know b/c I may end up going that way but have about 1 week to decide.

I know this is off topic, but has anyone have negative or positive things to say specifically about Verizon in NC? I am an unhappy SunCom assimilation and need to change. Was thinking Cingular, but if Verizon is better and better, then take the plunge I will!
    Palm Personal -> Palm Professional -> Handspring Visor -> iPAQ 6350 -> Treo 650???
    Just switched from Sprint to Verizon a month ago due to coverage issues. No problems so far, and I've even found web activity even faster. I'm pretty much an "use it out of the box" user, and have not added many third party stuff yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFrogs
    Have the Verizon Treo's been more reliable. I need to know b/c I may end up going that way but have about 1 week to decide.

I know this is off topic, but has anyone have negative or positive things to say specifically about Verizon in NC? I am an unhappy SunCom assimilation and need to change. Was thinking Cingular, but if Verizon is better and better, then take the plunge I will!
    The only way to find out is to test the phone.

I'd suggest testing the Sprint 650 first, however, as there prices would prolly save you anywhere from $20-60/mo just on the voice plan. They also have an option for you to roam up to half of your minutes on Verizon's network for $5/mo....Verizon doesn't have that option to roam on Sprint's network (last time I checked).

Also, the Treo is great IMO for 2 reasons: (1) the keyboard (2) the fact that you have internet almost everywhere in the country. Sprint's unlimited data plan is $10/mo, whereas Verizon's is $45/mo....you decide! Also, if you choose Sprint, you'll always have the latest firmware (since the Sprint Treos were released first), you can make custom ROMs (prolly not too big a deal for you, but the option is there if you want it), and you can legally use bluetooth DUN.

And when you test the phone, make sure you test it with the 650 as I believe its radio is stronger than other "basic" phones.
    But yea....don't get me wrong. If Verizon is that much better in your area, price prolly shouldn't be a factor.
    I use Verizon and odd thing is, I don't have any of the problems (thus far) the bulk of other users are reporting.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    I use Verizon and odd thing is, I don't have any of the problems (thus far) the bulk of other users are reporting.
    Me too. Some resets but they were due to third party stuff and once removed the phone was stable again. I use mine both in Florida and Northern Michigan. I can get on the VWZ network in Florida but in Michigan I am on the Extended network. No data though. I too might have gone with Sprint but all of my family on both sides use VWZ so their national in plan with no roaming can't be beat. I might pay more for data but I pay less for voice.

d
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi

Pamela
    Umm...you've got a problem of getting ripped off. Just teasin'!

Verizon's phones are the equivalent of Sprint's 1.08 version. They're virtually the same, just some TINY differences.
    In reference to your question about North Carolina, I used mine without a problem from about the northern most center part of the state, to the extreme northwestern part, way way up in the mountains, and got great service. AT&T got no service up there.
    I have Verizon too. Price is much more than with Sprint, but the coverage is awesome. Cingular and Sprint coverage here in Atlanta isn't so great in certain places.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for all the replies. Seems like most haven't had the same out of the box issues with the Verizon 650 as maybe the original Sprint or Cingular 650s.

Couple notes - if the coverage is better in NC, then the cost difference is not an issue as I get to expense much of my phone for business. (Everyone I have talked about Sprint in NC is that it is the worst). My current phone drops calls and even has to be turned on/off sometimes b/c it acts weird, so it is not like I am looking for a perfect phone. I am just hoping that the Verizon 650 was either better or worse than the Cingular 650 b/c so that could help make my decision.

I am assuming Verizon has the same 15 day trial like Cingular? Also, what happens if I port my # to Verizon (a must) then keep having problems with the 650 or worse - have horrible coverage. Am I stuck with Verizon? I absolutely cannot lose my phone #. Also forgot to mention that I am in Charlotte, but thanks nickf126 for the comments about the rest of NC b/c I do travel the state and was/am an ATT/Suncom customer and have such spotty coverage.

rahenkamp - I think Cingular's plans are almost identical in terms of national no-roaming. In fact I always heard the knock on Verizon was price (both data and minutes).

Any additional info would be great as I plan to purchase this week.
    Palm Personal -> Palm Professional -> Handspring Visor -> iPAQ 6350 -> Treo 650???
    Quote Originally Posted by nickf126
    In reference to your question about North Carolina, I used mine without a problem from about the northern most center part of the state, to the extreme northwestern part, way way up in the mountains, and got great service. AT&T got no service up there.
    What service do you have, bro?

Does nobody else have Sprint in NC??

I'm still recommending he try out Sprint with the $5/mo roaming option, which seems like it would solve his problem if he HAD to use Verizon's towers over Sprint's...but I personally don't need that option where I'm from...sooo, at least try Sprint first due to the VALUE!!!!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    What service do you have, bro?

Does nobody else have Sprint in NC??

I'm still recommending he try out Sprint with the $5/mo roaming option, which seems like it would solve his problem if he HAD to use Verizon's towers over Sprint's...but I personally don't need that option where I'm from...sooo, at least try Sprint first due to the VALUE!!!!
    Thanks grndslm. The only other caveat that made me look at Verizon is that my corporate IT guy (who is not in NC) says that Verizon has a webportal solution for getting email on my Treo. This has been my big issue vs the BB b/c I won't ever get the benefits of the BES but the BB they sent me to try gives me a crippled functionality that I can't live without -- I get emails almost asap (by forwarding my Notes email to the BB provided email address) and all of my replies say from my work email.
    Thanks grndslm. The only other caveat that made me look at Verizon is that my corporate IT guy (who is not in NC) says that Verizon has a webportal solution for getting email on my Treo. This has been my big issue vs the BB b/c I won't ever get the benefits of the BES but the BB they sent me to try gives me a crippled functionality that I can't live without -- I get emails almost asap (by forwarding my Notes email to the BB provided email address) and all of my replies say from my work email.
    Uhh....yea, I don't know too much about BBs and BES as I've been a Treo fan for life. But I'm pretty sure all BES is "push" functionality, just like Chatter Email. All you need is an IMAP server to go along with Chatter. I'm sure your company offers IMAP and in the slight off-chance that they don't....you can pay a one-time fee of $15 to get a fastmail.fm account (pretty sure it's secure)....or sign up with aim, and they provide a free IMAP account for you (I just don't think that one's secure).

You'll definitely be able to find a "push" solution no matter which carrier you chose. But if you go with Verizon....you're going to have to pay an extra $35/mo just to use that "push" email...unlimited data ain't cheap with them and email counts as data.

Hope you have goo luck in finding a carrier that gives you great reception!!
    I am assuming Verizon has the same 15 day trial like Cingular? Also, what happens if I port my # to Verizon (a must) then keep having problems with the 650 or worse - have horrible coverage. Am I stuck with Verizon?
    Yes, you do have 15 days with Verizon. I thought Cingular was 30, but that doesn't matter. The big thing is to make sure that if you don't stay with them during the 15 day period that you can keep your number.

Also, my daughter is working at a camp this year (for the 3rd summer straight) near Ashville. She has Sprint and has absolutely no service anywhere near the camp. She has to actually be in Ashville. Verizon and Cingular users do have service at and around the camp.
    I am assuming Verizon has the same 15 day trial like Cingular? Also, what happens if I port my # to Verizon (a must) then keep having problems with the 650 or worse - have horrible coverage. Am I stuck with Verizon? I absolutely cannot lose my phone #. Also forgot to mention that I am in Charlotte, but thanks nickf126 for the comments about the rest of NC b/c I do travel the state and was/am an ATT/Suncom customer and have such spotty coverage.
    Here's how it works....you TRY THE SERVICE FIRST (in this order: SPRINT, VERIZON, CINGULAR). No porting is done until you've decided that you enjoy the quality of that carrier and/or the trial period is up. You wouldn't port the number to Verizon if their quality sucked.

Seeing as how you live in Charlotte, you won't have a problem with any of the carriers...they cover big cities such as yours, very well! Outside of that city, I'm not sure as I don't live in NC. But, if it's traveling that's far away from interstates....Cingular could be best. But, you should try out Sprint first due to their MAJOR cost-savings and extra features. If there service sucks, move to Verizon....then to Cingular. But Sprint should fit you quite nicely for what you're asking for - "push" email. The others would provide the same options of Chatter email with some IMAP server, but their data plans are RIDICULOUSLY OVER-PRICED!!!
  16.    #16  
    Ok, so I can go into Sprint/Verizon/Cingular, pay for a treo w/ 1 yr contract and get whatever # they give me. If in the first < 15 days, I don't care for the Treo (ie got a bad one) or the service, then I just cancel and get my $ back? Do I have any fees or costs?

If I like it I can obviously port my # over, so your solution could be good. I guess I still have an issue with SunCom letting me out of my contract without an ETF. The sad thing is they openly admit that they don't have a phone to match my current one and even though they do offer an unlocked Treo 650 they say they aren't very good with Data right now. What the heck is that all about?
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG
    Yes, you do have 15 days with Verizon. I thought Cingular was 30, but that doesn't matter. The big thing is to make sure that if you don't stay with them during the 15 day period that you can keep your number.

Also, my daughter is working at a camp this year (for the 3rd summer straight) near Ashville. She has Sprint and has absolutely no service anywhere near the camp. She has to actually be in Ashville. Verizon and Cingular users do have service at and around the camp.
    Thanks Rick, any chance that camp is Luracrest?
    Ok, so I can go into Sprint/Verizon/Cingular, pay for a treo w/ 1 yr contract and get whatever # they give me. If in the first < 15 days, I don't care for the Treo (ie got a bad one) or the service, then I just cancel and get my $ back? Do I have any fees or costs?
    That's how it works I do believe, but of course you'd want to make sure the sales rep you talk to confirms all that, and it's in your contract also. I haven't ever canceled within a trial period as Sprint's always had excellent coverage everywhere I've gone...but I'd imagine it'd be normal for you to pay a pro-rated fee for the plan you chose. Also, I haven't heard of many 1-yr contracts nowadays. They're typically 2-yrs....even if they tell you 1-yr, it's prolly 2 on the contract. I know of quite a few people who complain about them saying 1, but actually getting stuck with 2. I got 2 because I knew I wouldn't be upgrading for at least 2 years since I've got such a pimp tight phone.

If I like it I can obviously port my # over, so your solution could be good. I guess I still have an issue with SunCom letting me out of my contract without an ETF. The sad thing is they openly admit that they don't have a phone to match my current one and even though they do offer an unlocked Treo 650 they say they aren't very good with Data right now. What the heck is that all about?
    Yea...if I were in your situation, I wouldn't be breaking contracts. But that's 'cause I don't have money to blow like that. If it's worth it to you, go ahead and break as many contracs as you'd like.

BUT REMEMBER: sprint's cheaper all around...data is $10 (you'll have to ask them to remove the $5/mo credit toward games, ringtones, etc., though) versus $45/mo...and they have a roaming option that you can use verizon's network if need be (that $5 download credit can go toward that roaming option if you'll even need it)
  19.    #19  
    Yea...if I were in your situation, I wouldn't be breaking contracts. But that's 'cause I don't have money to blow like that. If it's worth it to you, go ahead and break as many contracs as you'd like.
    Yeah, but if I buy a Verizon Treo at $399 (2 yr) and my company pays for it, then the $200 rebate I can use to offset my $175 ETF. Just fortunate that my company has agreed to pay for it.

BUT REMEMBER: sprint's cheaper all around...data is $10 (you'll have to ask them to remove the $5/mo credit toward games, ringtones, etc., though) versus $45/mo...and they have a roaming option that you can use verizon's network if need be (that $5 download credit can go toward that roaming option if you'll even need it)
    Thanks. I appreciate you trying to save me money! Again, with my corporate paying for the monthly service, I am more concerned with getting the best reception, email, and service without losing my #.
    and they have a roaming option that you can use verizon's network if need be (that $5 download credit can go toward that roaming option if you'll even need it)
    That $5 roaming option doesn't always work. You mentioned that in another thread. In my case I tried Sprint with their roaming option and at my house the phone dropped back to analog roaming and barely had a signal at that. The exact same model phone from Verizon was in digital mode at my house with 5 bars of service the following day. Just an FYI
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast