Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay, folks. I stayed up half the night and then this evening and got this working.

I took a song I purchased via iTunes and it is now my ringtone.

Here's a step by step. Have FUN!

1. Get an audio recorder/converter. There's lots of free ones and some cheap ones, and ones with trials. I've tried many, the latest being 3D MP3, SuperMP3 and Blaze Media Pro - Blaze gave the best quality.

2. Open iTunes and the recorder.

3. Set the recorder to record as WAV (or you can convert later IF it will do it).

4. You probably only want to capture part of a song, so start it playing. You can hit record on your recorder any time.

NOTE: If you have a good recorder that has a converter (and Blaze does) you can record it all and trime or remix the music as you wish, allowing you to loop seamlessly.

5. Check the file size. Chances are you don't want a 16mb file. My 7 second (which will loop) tune was 807K as a wav file (WAV because MP3 tones require another app).

6. Email the file to an addy you can download via your email program. Chances are you'll need to opt to load more or download the "rest" of the email.

7. Click to OPEN the attachment. Open it as a sound. It should then be converted for you.

8. Your sounds list should pop up - and your tune may me listed merely as "???" but you can click on details and edit the name.

9. Set your ringtone to your new sound.

That's it! Once I figured it all out, it took me about 10 minutes and though I used Blaze Media Pro (which costs) there are many free apps to do the record for you. You want to look for an app that will simply record any of your computer's sounds as they play.

And what, you ask, was the song I converted???

It was none other than... http://www.extremefunnypictures.com/funnypic759.htm

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
  2. Lew
    You might be able to save a couple steps if you check out www.hymn-project.org which will allow you to execise your rights under the Fair Use Doctrine. You can remove the iTunes DRM and then other apps should be able to directly convert the non-DRM'd AAC file. (poikosoft's EZ CD-DA Extractor will do such conversions I believe)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew
    You might be able to save a couple steps if you check out www.hymn-project.org which will allow you to execise your rights under the Fair Use Doctrine. You can remove the iTunes DRM and then other apps should be able to directly convert the non-DRM'd AAC file. (poikosoft's EZ CD-DA Extractor will do such conversions I believe)
    Thanks, I'll consider this. I'll have to read some more to see how I feel about it. I certainly don't like the slogan of "INFORMATION WANTS TO BE FREE." An author myself, I have to take steps to prevent my work for circulating to be free. Heck, if I spent 600 hours writing a book, I believe my time is worth something.

I did notice, however, that site doesn't offer a WAV conversion. I was trying to save steps from having to convert iTunes files then reimport as another file type.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Just use iTunes for the whole process! You can click on the song you wish to use, and hit COMMAND +I. This will bring up the info about the song. Go to the options tab and check the START time and END time checkboxes. Insert the values you want. Now click OK and close this dialog. Now your song will play just the portion you've told it! Next step, open the preferences under the itunes menu and click on the IMPORTING tab. First selction is import using... Select WAV encoder. Now close this dialog and return to your newly trimmed song. Click on the song as if you were going to play it, and go to the ADVANCED menu and select IMPORT USING WAV encoder. You will then make a WAV file of the song you've trimmed. Now simply click on this new song and drag it to your desktop. Finally, using the bluetooth menu (if you've got BT on your mac or peecee) send the file to your Treo via bluetooth. It will automatically be placed among your other ringtones on the Treo 650!! Have FUN!!!
    Art Guy, will that clip automatically loop as a ringtone?
    sure will! I've got several plus a few I made at the ATT Labs website. You can type in whatever you like and it appears on a new screen as an mp3. Just save the file to your drive, and convert using itunes - voila! instant speech ringtone. I've got Arthur my British personal assistant taking calls for me as I type this!! Too cool!!
    Here's the link for ATT if anybody needs it/misplaced it!
    http://www.research.att.com/projects/tts/demo.html
    how do i loop it and save 807K
    with Blaze media
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Mine just plays but does not save to the sounds, or anywhere for that matter.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    Okay, folks. I stayed up half the night and then this evening and got this working.

I took a song I purchased via iTunes and it is now my ringtone.

Here's a step by step. Have FUN!

1. Get an audio recorder/converter. There's lots of free ones and some cheap ones, and ones with trials. I've tried many, the latest being 3D MP3, SuperMP3 and Blaze Media Pro - Blaze gave the best quality.

2. Open iTunes and the recorder.

3. Set the recorder to record as WAV (or you can convert later IF it will do it).

4. You probably only want to capture part of a song, so start it playing. You can hit record on your recorder any time.

NOTE: If you have a good recorder that has a converter (and Blaze does) you can record it all and trime or remix the music as you wish, allowing you to loop seamlessly.

5. Check the file size. Chances are you don't want a 16mb file. My 7 second (which will loop) tune was 807K as a wav file (WAV because MP3 tones require another app).

6. Email the file to an addy you can download via your email program. Chances are you'll need to opt to load more or download the "rest" of the email.

7. Click to OPEN the attachment. Open it as a sound. It should then be converted for you.

8. Your sounds list should pop up - and your tune may me listed merely as "???" but you can click on details and edit the name.

9. Set your ringtone to your new sound.

That's it! Once I figured it all out, it took me about 10 minutes and though I used Blaze Media Pro (which costs) there are many free apps to do the record for you. You want to look for an app that will simply record any of your computer's sounds as they play.

And what, you ask, was the song I converted???

It was none other than... http://www.extremefunnypictures.com/funnypic759.htm

Pamela

Worked perfectly.
    You can't convert songs to a different format using iTunes if you bought them through the iTunes Music store. The way posted above for using iTunes will work with songs you encoded yourself or downloaded from some place other than iTunes (like a P2P program).
    Quote Originally Posted by torifile
    You can't convert songs to a different format using iTunes if you bought them through the iTunes Music store. The way posted above for using iTunes will work with songs you encoded yourself or downloaded from some place other than iTunes (like a P2P program).

It's kind of clugy but you actually can... sort of. Choose the songs you want in iTunes and burn them to a CD. Then convert the songs on the CD to .MP3 with iTunes.
    Last edited by TreoBeard; 08/12/2005 at 01:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew
    Hymn violates the DMCA so becareful. Anything that breaks DRM is illegal now, fair-use be damned. I hate the RIAA.
    here's what i tried after getting .wav file made:
    emailed xx.wav file and received via versamail.
    attachment shows up named as xx.pdb
    clicking on attachment asks if i want it saved to applications.
    clicking yes apparently saves it.
    i can't find it among the list of ring tones. attempting to save it again says the file already exists, but it calls it Ton-xx.pdb.

also, would this new ringtone be able to be used for assigning to a favorite (bummed that a sound recorded with the built-in app can't)?

thanks,
    -db
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtGuy
    Just use iTunes for the whole process! You can click on the song you wish to use, and hit COMMAND +I. This will bring up the info about the song. Go to the options tab and check the START time and END time checkboxes. Insert the values you want. Now click OK and close this dialog. Now your song will play just the portion you've told it! Next step, open the preferences under the itunes menu and click on the IMPORTING tab. First selction is import using... Select WAV encoder. Now close this dialog and return to your newly trimmed song. Click on the song as if you were going to play it, and go to the ADVANCED menu and select IMPORT USING WAV encoder. You will then make a WAV file of the song you've trimmed. Now simply click on this new song and drag it to your desktop. Finally, using the bluetooth menu (if you've got BT on your mac or peecee) send the file to your Treo via bluetooth. It will automatically be placed among your other ringtones on the Treo 650!! Have FUN!!!
    did this and worked great Art....made 14 sec clip that is HUGE on file space. how can I delete it, save it to mem card and then use within sounds??? don't want to use third party app if possible

jeff
    tried this and got a 3mb wav file (for a 19 second clip). sent it by versamail and was unable to open - not enough memory. any other suggestions from anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixey
    tried this and got a 3mb wav file (for a 19 second clip). sent it by versamail and was unable to open - not enough memory. any other suggestions from anyone?
    You're creating the WAV at CD-quality (44 kHz sampling, 16-bit, stereo). That works out to 1,411 bps, or 176 kBps. 19 (seconds) at 176 kBps is indeed more than 3 MB.

I don't know what you use to record, but I use Total Recorder Pro. When I create WAVs to be used as ring-tones I generally record at 16-bit, mono, 16 kHz. For your 19-second clip this would result in a file 608 KB in size.

I've tried going to 8-bit, 16 kHz mono, but I can hear the degradation. I still intend to play around awhile, as even 32 kBps is a little large.

--
    Mike
    All i did was edit the part of the song I wanted using audacity, exported as a wav, and bam, 27 seconds at a low size of 579kb . Works great, sounds great, and I love it. Thanks treocentral! **If anybody wants this ringtone, i'll be happy to upload it. it's chamillionaire and Paul Wall's old song, N Luv With My Money**
    Jordan
    PDA History

Treo 90 > Sony Clie SJ-20 > Tungsten E > HP Ipaq 4355 > Dell Axim X30 > Tungsten T|3 > Tungsten T|5 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Tungsten T|5 > Tungsten E|2 > Tungsten T|X > Blackberry 7250 > Treo 650 (Current)

Functional Palms
    Treo 650, T|X, and T|E2

Too Many Palms!!!
    when i go to open the wav file in versamail it says that it isnt a supported wav file...any suggestions as to what this means? thanks in advance
    Last edited by xylashellx; 01/10/2006 at 11:17 AM.
    i can play the wav file in versamail but cant save it. any suggestions?

edit: i figured it out. i had to hold down on the yellow icon next to the attachment and then select a different view (sound) and then rename the file and then it was added to my ringtones WEEEEEEEEEEE
    Last edited by xylashellx; 01/10/2006 at 04:13 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast