Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Please tell me I am missing something when it comes to not having the ability to sync these items with an exchange server?

I cannot believe out of all the programs and programmers out there that people have not been screaming and kicking about this.

Is GOODLINK the only option out there???

Someone please tell me that I am just missing something!!

I am a newly converted ppc user and although the PPC didn't sync correctly often, it still was able to!

I like the idea of GOODLINK but from what I have seen in the forums etc, the ACTUAL functions of the PIM are VERY limited which makes it not even a decent PIM manager.

Please help me to understand.

Thanks
    If you consider Outlook a decent PIM manager, then GoodLink is a decent PIM manager as is mirrors Outlook. Is the end all, be all? Nope, not yet. However, I haven't seen an application that wirelessly syncs all aspects of Outlook/Exchange that is everything. Are there apps out there that do certain things better than GoodLink? I am sure there are, but I haven't seen one yet that offers the enterprise level security, management and functionality that GoodLink does. All that being said, GoodLink is not for everyone nor is it for individual users. There are plenty of very nice products out there that do fit that bill, though.
    Is this going to be for individual use or company wide?
  4.    #4  
    GoodGuy...... You are right...I guess you got the brunt of my frustration
    I use Agendus as my PIM now on my 650 and enjoy it very much.

I guess my issues are that I need SEVERAL custom fields in my contacts. That is the main reason I use Agendus.

From using the PPC version of good link I found it limiting. It was over 8-9 months ago.

It is just hard to judge it when I cannot get a trial from anyone who hosts it

Goldballman - It is for Individual Use now.....but with my hosted exchange account. Maybe sometime in the future it will be corporate, but I am not sure.
    I'm struggling with the same issue so I thought I'd add my 2c...

While Goodlink is probably a wonderful product in its target market (the enterprise), my company and plenty of others are not about to bring in an enterprise solution for a few mobile workers who want to keep their calendars in sync.

What I need are two features:

1) Over-the-air sync to Exchange 2000 or 2003 via OWA (Outlook Web Access, a.k.a. Microsoft's implementation of WebDAV on Exchange)
    2) Sync with the *native* Palm PIM databases (there are just too many useful 3rd party apps that look at them for data - like Agendus)

There are two companies working on this right now; Nextworks (Nexchange) and JP Mobile (Surewave Mobile Connect), but neither seems ready for primetime (at least not yet). I've tried using both and have gotten neither to work (for various reasons perhaps better left to a different thread).

I can't believe there isn't enough market demand crying out for just such a solution to allow a company to produce and market a viable product. There is a model for this: Snerdware (www.snerdware.com) makes a Macintosh product to sync the native Mac PIM apps with Exchange via OWA. I use it and it works beautifully... I can't imagine this can't be done on the Treo as well. Making OTA sync and push e-mail available to the many, many mobile workers who can't get them any other way would make the Treo an unbeatable mobile office hub. ChatterEmail gets me half way there - I'm still looking for the other half.

Pete
    why don't you guys check out RoadSync from DataViz - www.dataviz.com - see what you think. Not sure that it will work in a Hosted Exchange situation....
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    why don't you guys check out RoadSync from DataViz - www.dataviz.com - see what you think. Not sure that it will work in a Hosted Exchange situation....

Good idea, but they only offer email and attatchments
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth

While Goodlink is probably a wonderful product in its target market (the enterprise), my company and plenty of others are not about to bring in an enterprise solution for a few mobile workers who want to keep their calendars in sync.

1) Over-the-air sync to Exchange 2000 or 2003 via OWA (Outlook Web Access, a.k.a. Microsoft's implementation of WebDAV on Exchange)
    2) Sync with the *native* Palm PIM databases (there are just too many useful 3rd party apps that look at them for data - like Agendus)

There are two companies working on this right now; Nextworks (Nexchange) and JP Mobile (Surewave Mobile Connect), but neither seems ready for primetime (at least not yet). I've tried using both and have gotten neither to work (for various reasons perhaps better left to a different thread).

I can't believe there isn't enough market demand crying out for just such a solution to allow a company to produce and market a viable product. There is a model for this: Snerdware (www.snerdware.com) makes a Macintosh product to sync the native Mac PIM apps with Exchange via OWA. I use it and it works beautifully... I can't imagine this can't be done on the Treo as well. Making OTA sync and push e-mail available to the many, many mobile workers who can't get them any other way would make the Treo an unbeatable mobile office hub. ChatterEmail gets me half way there - I'm still looking for the other half.

Pete

Pete,

You have said it exactly as I feel also. I think BIG business sometimes forgets that it is the little companies that TURN into big companies.

Anyway I am really liking the palm platform alot....I just don't know if it is going to last with the way things are going for me without a real viable solution out there.

I understand the whole enterprise thought process, serve big business, etc. I just feel sorry for those companies serving ONLY that purpose....eventually the small business will become big, and remember who didn't care about them at the start.
    If you're willing to keep a connector program running on a desktop PC, Intellisync does what you want. It's available free (as Verizion Wireless Sync) on the VZW version of the T650.

Pete
    Well, hopefully with the purchase of JP Mobile, Good may have an offering in the future that will meet individual needs.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by tangible
    If you're willing to keep a connector program running on a desktop PC, Intellisync does what you want. It's available free (as Verizion Wireless Sync) on the VZW version of the T650.
    Thanks for that suggestion...but that is one thing I was hoping NOT to have to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Well, hopefully with the purchase of JP Mobile, Good may have an offering in the future that will meet individual needs.
    I didn't know you bought JP Mobile. So there's hope, anyway! Maybe you can get someone to answer one of my three support requests (which have gone unanswered now for a week).

Actually, this might explain the issue I'm having with them. I haven't even been able to demo the Mobile Connect product because their subscriber website is messed-up and has been so for at least the past week. Perhaps they are having "transition issues".
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters

I understand the whole enterprise thought process, serve big business, etc. I just feel sorry for those companies serving ONLY that purpose....
    I'm conflicted on this since I sell enterprise-level software...

I don't work for a small company (we have about 700 Exchange users), but a company that has a relatively small number of mobile workers (maybe 20) who need to update their calendars from the road. Also, I'd personally rather not be tied to whatever "enterprise" solution my company might decide upon. They've standardized upon Exchange 2000 and have enabled OWA which should allow me to select the solution I like best.

So while I'm not talking about hundreds of users, 20 potential customers at one company who might each pay $13/month (that's what JP Mobile is asking for their service) is nothing to sneeze at.

I can't believe there isn't enough market demand crying out for just such a solution to allow a company to produce and market a viable product.
    I've been using NexChange for this purpose (now on 1.5c). I didn't know there was a second company also working on this, and I was glad to know it's garnered some interest from developers. I am curious though... have you been working with David at all? I had problems using 1.5b and c that David was actually able to track down and resolve with a little extra effort.

I agree that totally wireless sync WITHOUT the need for a centralized server -- gee, isn't Exchange already a centralized server? -- is market gap that someone needs to fill. Using the built-in Palm databases -- which I'm finding that several cable-sync products already do -- is a huge advantage if you want to keep the footprint small and keep compatibility concerns to a minimum -- such as having to debug yet another installed app for conflict woes.

The fact that Exchange supports DAV now and looks to do full RPC over HTTP in the future, MSFT seems properly positioned to have HTTP be a perfect middleware connector for Exchange... so let's get to utilizing this "built-in" feature! :-)
    I didn't know you bought JP Mobile. So there's hope, anyway! Maybe you can get someone to answer one of my three support requests (which have gone unanswered now for a week).

Actually, this might explain the issue I'm having with them. I haven't even been able to demo the Mobile Connect product because their subscriber website is messed-up and has been so for at least the past week. Perhaps they are having "transition issues".
    Here's to hoping the product survives the merger, rather than just serve as a technology dump for Good to enhance it's centralized connector. Wouldn't be the first time a baby got tossed out with the bath water.
    taroliw,

I 've had a case opened with Nextworks' help desk for a few days with no response. I certainly don't mind beta testing, but I expect a bit quicker support response when doing so.

Pete
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Pete,

You have said it exactly as I feel also. I think BIG business sometimes forgets that it is the little companies that TURN into big companies.

Anyway I am really liking the palm platform alot....I just don't know if it is going to last with the way things are going for me without a real viable solution out there.

I understand the whole enterprise thought process, serve big business, etc. I just feel sorry for those companies serving ONLY that purpose....eventually the small business will become big, and remember who didn't care about them at the start.
    Interesting one here:

http://www.intellisync.com/pages/Sol...Suite-Express/

$120yr per user. Supports all modules in exchange. One cool thing is you can intiate attachments from the device.

Once I get my exchange server up and running. Going to try nexchange and then Intellisync.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfBallMan
    Interesting one here:

http://www.intellisync.com/pages/Sol...Suite-Express/

$120yr per user. Supports all modules in exchange. One cool thing is you can intiate attachments from the device.

Once I get my exchange server up and running. Going to try nexchange and then Intellisync.

That seems like a good solution but it seems to just be email. I need the whole PIM sync'd.

Hey GoodGuy, can I use other PIM software on the treo 650 while good is installed and change the contacts etc. Once I do that, does it update the good contact DB as well or does it have it's own complete database of everything?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfBallMan
    $120yr per user. Supports all modules in exchange.
    Their site says this price requires a two-year subscription (ugh...).

Also from their site:

Express for Microsoft Exchange

For a limited time, we have a special introductory price for Express for Exchange. For only $120/year*, you receive:

* Fast, wireless push email & PIM sync
    * Personal Travel Info service
    * Enterprise-class features
    * Customer support
    * End-to-end security
    * Nearly any carrier and device of your choice
    That seems like a good solution but it seems to just be email. I need the whole PIM sync'd.

Hey GoodGuy, can I use other PIM software on the treo 650 while good is installed and change the contacts etc. Once I do that, does it update the good contact DB as well or does it have it's own complete database of everything?

Thanks
    No. Good uses it's own databases.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast