Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...re&prodid=9992

Updated Description:

6.8 adds support for the 5-way navigation button and fixes a few bugs.

See the user manual for details and the full update history.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad

6.8 adds support for the 5-way navigation button
    Finally. Great app, but this has been my big complaint. I'll give it a shot.
    Q: Does FileZ support the 5-way navigation button?

A: Yes. On handhelds equipped with a 5-way navigation button, here’s how it should behave:
    • Select: Displays the details of the selected file or folder.
    • Up/Down: Scrolls the file listing up and down.
    • Left/Right: Changes the information displayed in the info column (creator, size, etc.)
    Ugh. I guess it's a step in the right direction, but it's very limited functionality, and it doesn't even work well for me. Up/Down scrolls, but the center button does nothing, and moving side to side will jump to the top of the list (left), and moving to the right does nothing.

Verizon 600.
    just tried it - VERY limited 5-way support. Bah!
    Wow, FileZ is a fantastic utility .. and it's even free!

But, I wouldn't advertize that it has 5-way support! At first I thought I'd re-installed the older version because I couldn't find anywhere the 5-way worked at all.

Oh, well. Forget that. It's still a must-have, and I'm sure one day it really will have five-way support.

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    This version doesn't support the "builtin" part of the memory on my 650......
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    I'm glad you mentioned the built in memory. What exactly *IS* the purpose of this?? What I mean is ... why is there an internal card? Is this just RAM -vs- ROM??
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    To be honest with you - I can't explain the logic to you.
    But as I understand it - some apps use this part of the memory. Among other things pictures and video's are stored here - if you choose not to store directly to your SD card. Blazer also utilizes this part oft hte memory. It's like it is another partition in RAM - not usually accessible for the user.

Maybe you can get some understanding out of reading this tread...

Personally I have solved some hotsynd duplication problems using Filez to delete files in the builtin memory...
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    Quote Originally Posted by Llynx
    I'm glad you mentioned the built in memory. What exactly *IS* the purpose of this?? What I mean is ... why is there an internal card? Is this just RAM -vs- ROM??
    I guess the simplest way to think about the T650's NVFS system is as a smaller version of your desktop computer's file system; just as your PC/MAC has a hard drive, the Treo 650 has this non-volatile "built in memory" in addition to the volatile RAM that we've all been used to. Each application and its data are saved to this "drive" - that's why you don't lose data if the battery's removed - and are copied into RAM when you launch the app. When you leave that app, the changed data is written to the "drive" (but is also kept in the DB Cache, in case you need it again soon).

Apps like Media must access the "drive" directly for their data, without going through the intermediary of volatile RAM; that's why you no longer have to save "non-pdb" jpegs to the expansion card.
    I guess everyone likes FileZ because it is free and has most of the file management features one might need. I for one find it to be clumsy, ill executed and difficult to use.

The user interface is counter-intuitive. Further, I would hardly call that 5-way support. Lastly, while recognizing it is free, it doesn't have near the features as the top commercial file managers, nor the ease of use.

I really do understand that free is a very compelling argument. I for one made the call long ago that it is worth the dollars to have a better file management utility. (and I am not trying to get anyone to switch, nor evangelizing another product, so no mention of what I prefer....cough....cough....RESCO....clears throat....)

I guess the "FileZ is great" club is based mostly on the free factor, is that right? It certainly can't be because it is a good application. Basic featured, constantly updated and free are the best I can muster about this app.

Cheers
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
    Filez works great for me, and I consider it to be easy to use. I guess I'm used to it.
    Am I missing something here- I get nothing with the 5 way nav button on my Spint Treo 600.

Anyone esle?
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I find the file manager in Zlauncher to be a lot easier to use and understand than FileZ. I keep FileZ on my system, but 99% of the time the I use the file manager in Zlauncher.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by Llynx

It is mostly the DB cache that is used to keep the nand in sync with the volitile ram. Read this tutorial for more info...

http://www.red-mercury.com/nvfs.html

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid
    I really do understand that free is a very compelling argument. I for one made the call long ago that it is worth the dollars to have a better file management utility. (and I am not trying to get anyone to switch, nor evangelizing another product, so no mention of what I prefer....cough....cough....RESCO....clears throat....)
    Well, your comments got me interested enough to download Resco Explorer and give it a try. I have to agree with you. It is light-years ahead of FileZ in every respect. Well worth the $14.95 registration. I've been playing with it since last night, and am totally wowed by the numerous functions.

Drag-and-drop to move a file to my SD card! Pretty amazing for Palm OS software.

And so far as the thread topic is concerned, Resco it really does have excellent 5-way support!

So long FileZ,
    ChickenHawk
    I have questions for Resco users please:

Can Resco beam locked applications to another Palm/Treo unit? (FileZ can).

Can Resco copy a locked application to the SD card, and the application actually works from the SD card? (Filez can NOT, but I wish it could).

I'd appreciate comments from experienced Resco users.

By the way, FileZ has been very useful for me for years, but I'm always willing to try other cool utility software.

Thanks, Casey.
    FileZ easily allows you to edit otherwise opaque databases. For example, I used files to move the annoying Voice Mail favorite from the E/1 key to the V key. I don't see any way to do that in Resco Explorer (admittedly after only 1 day of trying and not RTFMing).

So, can you edit DBs with Resco? If not, then FileZ has the advantage in this area.

-Jeff DLB
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
    Why would you pay $15 for Resco when ZLauncher is $20 and is an excellent launcher and has an excellent file manager built in?

I use Filez for editing/viewing databases, and updating ZLauncher (exit ZL, move new ZL version to ram, etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Why would you pay $15 for Resco when ZLauncher is $20 and is an excellent launcher and has an excellent file manager built in?

I use Filez for editing/viewing databases, and updating ZLauncher (exit ZL, move new ZL version to ram, etc)

Zlauncher file manager is fine but NO WHERE near as powerful as Resco File manager which combine a file manager with archive, compression viewer and etc . Plus as stated above, Resco lets you view NFVS db cache which zlauncher doesn't...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I also left a comment on Palmgear. I loaded FileZ 6.8 on my Treo 650 excited to think I didn't have to use the stylus to scroll & change b/w size, creator etc but found no difference at all with 5-way navigator. Perhaps the developer actually compiled or posted the wrong source file into the archive. Wouldn't be the first time.

Casey Cheung. On copy file to the card, have you tried Hitting 'Details' which then shows PC-like attributes. But then on the General tab there is a button 'View Database Details' when you click it goes to the Palm OS attributes - on the Attrs tab you can turn off 'copy Protect' or anything else - should be able to run like normal unless that app does support running from card?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast