Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Im thinking about getting a VZW Treo 650 (or 600) but it seems the majority of them are returned and everyone is on there 3rd or 4th replacement. Is this true or do I just read all the bad threads?
    Last edited by Logical; 07/11/2005 at 01:18 PM.
    I think when polls have been done in the past, the vast (unspoken) majority are quite happy with their Treos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logical
    Im thinking about getting a VZW Treo 650 (or 600) but it seems the majority of them are returned and everyone is on there 3rd or 4th replacement. Is this true or I do I just read all the bad threads?
    I think you are overstating the problem. Not even the majority of people posting on these forums have asked for a replacement, and these forums tend to attract people who are having problems with their Treos. Posters in these forums represent the tiniest percentage of Treos sold.

I think you are focusing too much on the bad threads...
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    ZBoater, you are absolutly right.. most people wouldn't come her to show you how they love their phone. However, I bought 3 phones, and all of them suffer random reboots and two of the phones I have suffers reboot after you hung up, and freeze up issues, the phone has been replaced and replaced but the problems are the same. and talked to different VZW store and they all said the same thing they heard of the issue, but they don't want to talk too much about the problem. All they said was if you like, we can exchange the phone for you since you are within the 15 days or we can exchange to a different phone.

Here is the thing, I am fed up with my treo so I already switch to the Samsung i730 PPC Phone, that phone is better but no perfect, but IMHO better than treo in quality wise, and the reason why I am browser here and post this message is because my brother's phone just suffers reboot and lockup every time he hang up the phone, so he is going nuts too.. So just to give you an idea on the Treo.. so after tonight only my wife possible will be still holding her Treo, even that I will probably switch her to Samsung i730 which also offer Broadband speed.

Palm is suppose to be more stable than PPC, and that's from my experiences and thus far, Treo with VZW (Couldn't speak for other providers) is a NIGHTMARE!!!
    The last two polls I saw on TC had the love rating at above 93% . . . . . . .
    I think you may be thinking of the 600. Seemed more were on the 3rd-4th-5th Treos with that, than the 650.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I think you may be thinking of the 600. Seemed more were on the 3rd-4th-5th Treos with that, than the 650.
    Are you referring to the polls . . . .?
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Are you referring to the polls . . . .?
    Sorry, it was directed at the Logical. Should've quoted instead of Quick Reply..
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    treo's work?
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    treo's work?
    that question poised next to your avatar is a beaut!! LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Pekkle
    ...I bought 3 phones, and all of them suffer random reboots and two of the phones I have suffers reboot after you hung up, and freeze up issues... Palm is suppose to be more stable than PPC, and that's from my experiences and thus far, Treo with VZW (Couldn't speak for other providers) is a NIGHTMARE!!!
    I am sorry to hear about your problems with the Treo, but that does not change the fact that you are in the minority of Treo owners (all tens of thousands of them). Even in this board you would still be in a minority (all few hundred of us). So, although it is very regrettable what happened to you, to extrapolate that to say that most Treos suffer from the same problem is not accurate nor appropriate.

Here are links to some of the most recent polls of TreoCentral readers, all of which backup my statement.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=POLL%3A

I think Cingular did have some problems early on, especially with their GemPlus SIMs, the way their network and Treos interacted, etc. Their beta testing was severely deficient. I think that many, many, many of the problems users have experienced (and shared here at the boards) are also due to third party apps, corrupt databases, attempts to upgrade from an older device and simply restore old backups, etc. My suggestion has always been to use the phone clean, and if you can't get it to work well like that then you most likely have a hardware or carrier related problem. However, once the phone is working, loading all sorts of betaware, crapware, testware, and other free little utilities, mods, and files that have not been tested with the new NVFS system nor developed by certified Palm developers is more a problem with the business/technical model than the Treo itself. Hey, I like freebie cool little apps as much as the next guy, but life goes on, hardware improves, and buggy software can take its toll, especially since the Treo is nowhere near as powerful/stable as a 32bit desktop OS.
    Last edited by ZBoater; 07/11/2005 at 04:58 PM.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    The last two polls I saw on TC had the love rating at above 93% . . . . . . .
    While I love my Treo too, it's also my second one. So I'm not sure that there is a direct correlation between loving it and not having problems. I've had many more problems and resets that I would expect from either a phone or a Palm device. But I still love it. That being said, I donít think the majority of us are on are third or fourth devices.
    I'm on my original T650 w/ VZW, & it's performed flawlessly!!! I couldn't be happier w/ it now that I have VC on it!!!
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Logical
    Im thinking about getting a VZW Treo 650 (or 600) but it seems the majority of them are returned and everyone is on there 3rd or 4th replacement. Is this true or do I just read all the bad threads?
    Well, I have to tell you. The first few times I came to this board and read all the negative things, I thought the same way as you. I am on my third 650 (once only because the backlight wouldn't come on and they changed it immediately). But, the more I read this board, the more I've found out that the real problem are conflicting programs, and I probably didn't need to exchange my first one, as because of this board, it was working great when the new one came, and the things learned on this board concerning programs and other shortcuts have me loving the treo, even though I don't think the phone coverage is as good as before. The other thing I've found is I have many people in my office that have 600 & 650's, and they have never had a problem...I think that's because they aren't technical and don't read these boards. Get your phone and you'll love it.
    I am on my 3rd.

PL
  16. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Here is my poll on satisfaction of ownership.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...highlight=treo

View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with your Treo?
    Hell yeah!! 160 votes 95.24%
    Hell no!! 8 votes 4.76%

Pretty telling if you ask me.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    While I might be the minority with 3 unstable treo 650s, but certaily from what I heard at VZW stores, I sure don't feel alone. Any how, I love my treo when it worked. and I love this forum with all the support the fellow treo members on this board had provided.. I am going to miss you guys.. maybe on the next gen treo I will be back. So Long!
    Well, not only am I on my first Treo 650, which works perfectly, but this morning I dropped it down a flight of concrete steps - it bounced a number of times, and the rear cover an battery fell out, as did the SD card... but I put it back together and it's fine! Apart from a slight dent in the top right corner :-/ But anyway, I was rather impressed by how well it stood up to such abuse.
    Anyone who says this Treo is not one of tthe buggiest versions released is lying. while I am satisfied with the 650 and love it's features it is not very stable. I, myself ordered 7 from Vienna Channels anjd bought 2 at Cingular stores. 2 went back because they were unuseablr. Me or my friends have every version, Sprint, Verizon, Cingular and un branded. I did not get them all at the same time, the frist Sprint one arrived in December and the last Cingular arrived in April. I have one from almost every month between.

And a someone who has had everyversion of the (handspring-palm) phone from the Visor phone to present, although the 650 is the most useful and I love it, it is very frustrating with how unstable it is.

I am lying in the sun in the south of France posting right now. The camera and chatter have kept me photo in touch with all my friends at home. I have had full phone and data service in France, Germany, Switzerland, and Austria. Every country I have visited so far. I have used Tom Tom GPS for all of my driving (bought new BMW 330 Convertible here) I have seen twice as much as I would have because of the time and frustration it (TomTom) has saved. I have logged the trip in docs to go. read the news on internet about London bombing. kept in sms touch and phone touch with friends whom are visiting europe at the same time. Listened to music via real player and a cool set of small sony speakers I brought with me.

Is the phone very cool, useful and do a great deal of things, yes. Has the three treos that I am traveling with needed to be reset, reset on their own or locked up, yes they have. But weighing the good and the bad, I like it a lot. It is by far more frustrating than my visor phone, Treo 180, Treo 270 and Treo 600. But does more! and the good far outweighs the bad, in my opinion.
    Mine works great and my boss's works great. Both from Verizon.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast