1.    #1  
    Hey all,

Went to set up VersaMail to access my AOL e-mail, and I noticed that there's no AOL listed as a Mail Service within the VM software. This is on a Cing 650.

As such, I can't send mail from the phone. I get a 556 (?) error message. Does this have something to do with the fact that I've selected "Other" [and not AOL, which isn't there] under the Mail Service?

I'm aware that there's AOL 3.3 software out, but isn't that for those who DON'T want to use VersaMail? Isn't there a way to use VersaMail without additional software?

...Or, do I need SOME sort of additional software -- on my Treo -- in order to have VM retreive my AOL mail?

Thanks, folks!

-Kirk
    Quote Originally Posted by KMeloney
    Hey all,

Went to set up VersaMail to access my AOL e-mail, and I noticed that there's no AOL listed as a Mail Service within the VM software. This is on a Cing 650.

As such, I can't send mail from the phone. I get a 556 (?) error message. Does this have something to do with the fact that I've selected "Other" [and not AOL, which isn't there] under the Mail Service?

I'm aware that there's AOL 3.3 software out, but isn't that for those who DON'T want to use VersaMail? Isn't there a way to use VersaMail without additional software?

...Or, do I need SOME sort of additional software -- on my Treo -- in order to have VM retreive my AOL mail?

Thanks, folks!

-Kirk
    What you're going to wanna do is get rid of your aol account. People laugh at you when they see you're still giving money to those jokers. I'm laughing at you right now. :-D

But anyway, what you REALLY want is an IMAP account. IMAP is better because it doesn't send your password over the internet in clear text like POP3 does. Also, POP3 downloads your messages off the server. That way, it's hard for you to keep ALL of your emails organized on both your PC and your Treo. The solution is IMAP...it keeps all your files on a remote server. That way when you go home, it downloads all of the email headers only until you click on it, then it downloads the subject/attachment(s). Same goes for your Treo...it's all REALLY stored on that remote server for organizational purposes. Since you don't download EVERY message and subject, it saves a little bandwidth on your Treo as well.

Soo...what I'm recommending to you is that you forward your aol emails to an IMAP server (such as fastmail.fm), check your account from Versamail, then attach your aol.com address to outgoing messages. You can customize which email address people reply to your emails by options in both Versamail and your desktop's email client.

If you want "push" email, where you get your emails on your phone instantly....then upgrade to Chatter: http://www.chatteremail.com.
    This thread may be of help;

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&highlight=aol

Getting AOL email with Versamail works well for me.
    I see there is a "computer expert" here.... always a troll in every crowd.

AOL supports IMAP. The thread mentioned will help. Also, Versamail with the latest firmware auto+populates.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeSIMS
    .... always a troll in every crowd.
    heh...I hate tha bastuds!