1.    #1  
    SD/software (Card Export II/RescoExplorer) installation of custom ROMS:

After much help from others, futzing about time, trials, some errors, and needed zero-hard resets, I have found a SD/software method that works pretty simply for me. Because I'm inexperienced enough with this new type of creativity and this is my first PDA gadget, the process I describe below may well already be in use all over the place. I came about these alternatives through help , desperation, and by accident. Now that I have used them a few times in practice they work very easily for me.

Materials: - PC - Treo 650 - Card Export II and or RescoExplorer - Custom ROM/s - SD card - with at least 15 or more MB un-needed space, preferably twice that for two extra versions of ROM, not including any backups you want on the SD card.

Perhaps consider making Card Export II and or RescoExplorer part of your Custom ROM, they are great programs and are compatible with sitting in ROM waiting for use. They will also save you some time below. Read through this process. It really comes to be a simple process.

1. Make a backup of the Treo before you do anything.

2. Create the custom ROM you wish to install on your Treo. It will be in a larger directory named Palm.

3. Using what ever tool, either one of the above, or other at your choice, create 1 or 2 extra Palm directories on the SD. If the space is available, use two, perhaps named Palm-OEM (for the OEM ROM by PalmOne, and Palm-Cust, for your new custom ROM. You will already have a Palm directory on your SD card, which has your current stuff/config.

4. When ready to install the custom ROM, rename your original Palm directory to Palm-Orig, or something you like. Rename Palm-Cust to Palm, or alternatively, just copy the whole Palm directory that your custom ROM was created in to the TREO. Read the Tool directions, you donít need the ace-palmos directory in there or the extra zip files. Know other ways to make it more simple, do Ďem.

5. Copy over your Custom ROM to the new Palm directory. Copy over your OEM ROM, Palm directory contents to the Palm-OEM directory. Those copies will be inclusive of all of the directory and sub-directories of Device Cusomizer, and the start.prc file. Know other ways to make it more simple, do Ďem.

That done you have your SD card with both a custom ROM ready for launch, a full, unaltered OEM ROM as a safety net. You also have your original Treo Palm(orig) setup.

6. While the Treo is on, Pop the SD card out, wait a few seconds and pop it back in, and the Treo will read the card and start the launching of your new Custom ROM. My experience with the 1.28 version I have been using shows a first window with a selection for the ROM you want to update/flash, and an OK or Cancel button at the bottom. I was unable to select the OK or Cancel, it just paused a few seconds and went right ahead to the flash process.

7. Once the flash process is completed, a series of confirmation text lines will appear, as the files are cross checked against the flash contents, and when that is done your Treo will reboot once to a few times, as it is finalizing the flash. Once the series of text lines/confirmation completes, and the Treo shuts down for the first time, when the screen goes black, pop out your SD card. The Treo will then, once booted, have your new custom ROM installed and ready for setup.

8. Should something to wrong, and you do not like the ROM on your TREO, Sync over Card Export II and or RescoExplorer, there may be other apps that will work, these just happened to work for me. Once you have one of these apps ready for use on your TREO, if they were not part of your custom ROM already, then:

a. RescoExplorer (I think this is the most direct and easiest method, and no PC is needed!): Launch (Resco)Explorer. While the RescoExplorer screen is up on your screen, insert your SD card. The TREO will find the card and will not automatically start the flash process, because RescoExplorer is somehow blocking that process (wonderful). At least thatís how it worked on mine. RescoExplorer will recognize your card, and it will pop up in (Resco)Explorer, and you can then change directories to your SD card, and you can rename your directories to what ever direction you wish to reflash, i.e. to full OEM ROM... or install another custom ROM. That done you can close RescoExplorer, pop out your SD card, reinsert, and you are off into re-flashing to what ever ROM you set,

or

b. Card Export II: Connect to your PC without your SD card in. Your PC will recognize your Treo. While the Card Export screen is up on your screen, then disconnect on the TREO side, leaving the Card Export screen up. Insert your SD card. The TREO will find the card and will not automatically start the flash process, because Card Explorer II is somehow blocking that process (wonderful)... at least thatís how it worked on mine. Hit the Connect button again on Card Export II. Your PC will take a few seconds and then mount your SD card, and you can rename your directories to what ever direction you with to reflash, i.e. to full OEM ROM... or install another custom ROM. That done you can disconnect from Card Export, and start at step 6 again.

Hopefully this process is as simple as it seems. Please -suggestions/feedback. Thanks to all those who helped me!

M
    Last edited by lovecostarica; 07/11/2005 at 04:33 PM.