1.    #1  
    I'm trying to like this Treo 650, but I'm having a hard time with it.

First, out of the box, I'm trying to set my voice mail password with our Cingular corporate account rep on the phone with me. Each time I punch the first digit, it locks up the Treo, UI and everything frozen, screen lights on, stay on. After 3 resets, it takes the password and seems to be working. They are sending a new one to me to replace it anyway. Had problems with GSM sound quality and dropping calls. One of my guys in the office points me at the unofficial firmware upgrade process. Figuring that I'm getting a new one anyway, I figure why not. Ok, it seems better now, though not a lot better. I'm still getting "Network connection interrupted, your message will automatically get re-sent" on about 2 out of 5 pictures I try to send. (better than 3 out of 5)

Sound volume is pretty poor from the unit itself, so I try the Palm Bluetooth headset. Better, but since it lacks any kind of earseal, it is difficult to hear in a moving car or any other kind of noisy environment. Just can't seem to get the volume up high enough or any isolation from the outside noise level.

Tried it with my aviation headset (which is equipped for cell phone input, for making calls on the ground) and the Treo works, but makes weird chirps and squeaky noises on the audio. No other phone I've used in the plane with this headset seems to to do this.

Battery life is not impressing me too much, fully charged overnight before first use. My talk time is about an hour and the battery is down to about 50%. To be fair, I was using the BT earpiece, but this seems kind of poor, especially with a brand new unit.

The camera - well, it takes fuzzy poorly focused images. Seems like the sides, particularly left side, are out of focus. See attached.

Sending a single photo takes a couple of minutes, where my wife's new Razr (also GSM Cingular) does the same image size relatively quickly.

Blazer - well, it ain't blazing. It also seems to lack a lot of compatibility with "normal" websites.

Wifi - would be a very nice addition, but lacking more advanced applications, not sure what would be the use.

I'm hoping that a new phone will cure some of these issues, I guess we'll see this week when a new one arrives. I'm presuming the swap is as simple as backing up this one, swapping the SIM card and restoring to the new one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sound volume is pretty poor from the unit itself, so I try the Palm Bluetooth headset. Better, but since it lacks any kind of earseal, it is difficult to hear in a moving car or any other kind of noisy environment. Just can't seem to get the volume up high enough or any isolation from the outside noise level.
    Search for an app called volumecare in th forums. Works great and really increases volume on the Treo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Search for an app called volumecare in th forums. Works great and really increases volume on the Treo...
    I'm trying VolumeCare right now - just downloaded it last night. It DOES increase the volume level. However, with that increased volume, one pays a small premium - louder and more obvious static.
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by nuketopia
    The camera - well, it takes fuzzy poorly focused images. Seems like the sides, particularly left side, are out of focus. See attached.
    That's actually one of the better photos I've seen come from a Treo. It's not a digital camera - it's a SmartPhone.

The reason it's "fuzzy" on the left is your depth of field - since you don't have true settings with the camera, that would be the appropriate outcome if your focus was on the center of the photo - the building in the back.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I'm trying to like this Treo 650, but I'm having a hard time with it.

First, out of the box, I'm trying to set my voice mail password with our Cingular corporate account rep on the phone with me. Each time I punch the first digit, it locks up the Treo, UI and everything frozen, screen lights on, stay on. After 3 resets, it takes the password and seems to be working. They are sending a new one to me to replace it anyway. Had problems with GSM sound quality and dropping calls. One of my guys in the office points me at the unofficial firmware upgrade process. Figuring that I'm getting a new one anyway, I figure why not. Ok, it seems better now, though not a lot better. I'm still getting "Network connection interrupted, your message will automatically get re-sent" on about 2 out of 5 pictures I try to send. (better than 3 out of 5)

Tried it with my aviation headset (which is equipped for cell phone input, for making calls on the ground) and the Treo works, but makes weird chirps and squeaky noises on the audio. No other phone I've used in the plane with this headset seems to to do this.

Battery life is not impressing me too much, fully charged overnight before first use. My talk time is about an hour and the battery is down to about 50%. To be fair, I was using the BT earpiece, but this seems kind of poor, especially with a brand new unit.

Sending a single photo takes a couple of minutes, where my wife's new Razr (also GSM Cingular) does the same image size relatively quickly.

Blazer - well, it ain't blazing. It also seems to lack a lot of compatibility with "normal" websites.

Wifi - would be a very nice addition, but lacking more advanced applications, not sure what would be the use.

I'm hoping that a new phone will cure some of these issues, I guess we'll see this week when a new one arrives. I'm presuming the swap is as simple as backing up this one, swapping the SIM card and restoring to the new one.
    As far as the fuzzy image goes it looks as if there is some oil or something on your lens.
  6.    #6  
    The lens window is perfectly clean and that was the best of the pix that I've taken with it.

It's not a digital camera - but it isn't a heck of a phone either.

Sure, I don't expect a lot from an integrated vga camera, but it should do as well as other devices of similar design, for example my wife's new Motorola phone. I'll look for volumecare.

No voice dial from Bluetooth headset? That's just nugging futs.
    The lens window is perfectly clean and that was the best of the pix that I've taken with it.

It's not a digital camera - but it isn't a heck of a phone either.

Sure, I don't expect a lot from an integrated vga camera, but it should do as well as other devices of similar design, for example my wife's new Motorola phone. I'll look for volumecare.

No voice dial from Bluetooth headset? That's just nugging futs.
    It's possible...you'd just have to pay that recurring $5/mo for Sprint's voice service.

If it's worth it to you...go for it!
    Uh no, the lens in the Treo is a fixed focus lens focused to hyperfocal length. I suspect the minimum focus is maybe 6-8 inches with the far focus at infinity. So there is prety much infinite DOF.
  9.    #9  
    Well, I switched to the replacement 650 that my Cingular corporate rep sent. The out of focus problem is resolved. I'm back down to the Cingular firmware, so no DUN. Had a heck of a time trying to get the Palm sync to update the address book. The conduit kept switching back to 'do nothing'. Finally used iSync on a G5 Mac to do the job.

Crashed twice in Versamail. Crashed in Adobe Acrobat Reader a few more times.

I'm thinking this thing ain't ready for prime-time. I'm inclined to send them both back and wait for the iPaq 6515 and pay for it myself.

I'm actually posting this from an iPaq 4700 right now. I hate to say it, but Windows Mobile seems to be a far more capable and stable product. As much as I hate Microsoft, they just flat out have the better product. If I could get this big screen and processer speed in a phone, I'd be ecstatic.