1. bmb
    I recently purchased a very slightly used Cingular branded and locked Treo 650 from Ebay (I already have Cingular service). I had nothing but problems with it right out of the box, constant resets. I researched everything on the forums for solutions to my problems, but nothing worked.

I decided today to bite the bullet, go down to my local Cingular store and purchase a 650 directly from them, so I could do what many others have apparently done and return defective units until I get a good one.

When I returned home, I started to put my new 650 through the torture test. Nothing I have thrown at it so far has made it blink, not one reset so far, while the old one would have reset several times under the same conditions. Hopefully this one will work out.

What prompted me to write is that there is a physical difference between my new Cingular 650 and my used one. On the top of the unit, the icons to either side of the speaker switch are slightly different. On the old one, the icon for the sound on position is the outline of a speaker with three curved lines in front of it. On the new unit, the icon is solid black, with only two curved lines in front of it. Both the icons on the new unit appear to be slightly larger, also.

While reading the forums, I discovered the possiblity that early 650's were defective. Perhaps this is a way to tell the difference between a possibly re-engineered unit and the first, defective batch?
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Yes you are correct in your judgement between initial & later treo's.
    Lesson learned here. Never buy a used phone off ebay. You never know what you're getting until you actually get it. Then it is almost always too late. Buying used is basically buying someone else's problem....

KeNg
    What HW rev is your new unit? I have not heard of anyone having a hardware rev newer than A which is what my GSM CNG treo says.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Check the Phone Info option in your main phone app and tell us what hardware version your Treo is reporting. This is interesting.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    For what it's worth I've had my Cingular branded Treo for about a month. I can't recall a single time it's reset when I hadn't wanted it to. I consider it extremely stable.

Mine has a black speaker icon with two curved lines. Hardware version "A".
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    I bought a Cingular Treo 650 in April and it too had the 'hollow' speaker icon on the top. I had no problems with random resets, but Cingular replaced it for me last week because of wierd dialing issues. The new phone does have the black speaker icon and as of yet I still have had no reset issues. The new one also says Hardware: A in phone info.

Brett
    Same here. New Cingular Treo 650 with a filled in Black Speaker with 2 "waves" for the ringer on position. "Hardware: A"
    Last edited by rkuo; 07/11/2005 at 02:06 PM.
    Treo 650 with 1 GB SD card!
    http://www.rkuo.com
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kittiyut
    Lesson learned here. Never buy a used phone off ebay. You never know what you're getting until you actually get it. Then it is almost always too late. Buying used is basically buying someone else's problem....
    I think this is a pretty bad and largely inaccurate stereotype. I have sold almost all of my old phones and handhelds (10+) on eBay. Never once has anyone complained about the quality or condition of the device.

Now, in this particular case, the Treo 650 that was purchased is covered under Cingular's warranty. If pressed, Cingular would have replaced the phone for free.

...Just my $0.02...
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kittiyut
    Lesson learned here. Never buy a used phone off ebay....
    stereotype.

I have bought and sold many phones on eBay and never had a problem.

Buy with a credit card and get written (email) confirmation fo what you are getting as well as the return policy. If it is not as advertised, contact the cc company and dispute the charge. it's that simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by spiVeyx
    If pressed, Cingular would have replaced the phone for free.

Such as, when my 650 was so horribly unstable, Cingular offered to replace it under warranty?
    And since I had to fight my way to Tier 2 tech support, 2 replacement orders were sent to my address?

A 650GSM Cingular Branded AND a 600 AT&T branded?

I was extremely happy, to say the least.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmb
    I recently purchased a very slightly used Cingular branded and locked Treo 650 from Ebay (I already have Cingular service). I had nothing but problems with it right out of the box, constant resets. I researched everything on the forums for solutions to my problems, but nothing worked.
    I'd definately start taking this up with eBay, Pay Pal, whoever was involved in this transaction, and get it reversed. They obviously sold you a crap phone on purpose. It's not as if they could have not known it was that bad if it ran that poorly right out of the box.

Hope you get it straightened out.
    Interesting. I bought my Treo directly from Palm One with a Cingular plan six weeks ago. It has the outline speaker with hardware version A, firmware 01.04. So far no problems

Les
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Im sure it has something to do with location of build...but I have been wrong before...

rob
  15. bmb
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    I'd definately start taking this up with eBay, Pay Pal, whoever was involved in this transaction, and get it reversed. They obviously sold you a crap phone on purpose. It's not as if they could have not known it was that bad if it ran that poorly right out of the box.

Hope you get it straightened out.
    I consider it the price of doing business on ebay. I purchased from a private seller, who advertised it as a like new unit that he had received as a replacement for another unit, and in turn had received yet another unit after that. Came with a free car charger and leather case.

I have been through a LOT of PDA's over the last ten years, and the one thing I have come to expect is problems from such devices. I have a certain tolerance for errors and such. This one crossed the threshold.

I flashed it up to 1.23/1.28 ROW (since I was not expecting any support from Cingular anyway), but it did not fix any of my problems, nor did it make them worse.

I will probably sell it on ebay, with an honest description of its problems and history, with no minimum bid and no reserve.

My new one is Hardware A, and has worked perfectly so far.

I can also enthusiasticaly recommend the Mungen extended battery. My 650 has synced two POP accounts every 15 minutes since 6am this morning, and synced 10 RSS feeds in Quicknews, with one 20 minute phone call, and about 1 hour of general PDA use, and the battery is at 70%.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmb
    ...I can also enthusiasticaly recommend the Mungen extended battery. ...
    Do you have a link with more info for this battery?
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Do you have a link with more info for this battery?
    I think it's this one.
    I bought my Treo the first day Cingular had them in stock here a few months ago. I went through reset issues but they were fixed with updating software (that I had use don the 600) and getting the better SIM card from Cingular. My phone symbol is the filled in one (not all black). A friend of mine bought an unbranded one from PalmOne and his phone symbol is all black. My hardware is type A...dont' know what his is.
    Cingular Treo - upgraded to FW 1.28/SW Treo650-1.13-ROW Apple Powerbook running Tiger
  19. bmb
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    I think it's this one.
    Yes, that's the one.