1.    #1  
    Hey all, curious what would be the least expensive plan if I were to order the Treo 650?

I probably only really "need" to use it 2 hours day (90 min voice, 30 min data but can live without data if too expensive), the rest of the time I'll be using my WiFi laptops or hard wired phones/pcs...

It would be nice if such a plan would be upgradeable (not fixed) if I find myself wanting more Treo650 network access. I'm in NYC metro area.

Thanks, -Josh
    If you don't travel much outside the city at all, you will probably find Sprint to be the cheapest. However, if you need to travel regularly and need a plan that has vast coverage areas, that might not be the best plan for you.

I use VZW because I need the coverage areas. But I believe they are the most expensive.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    You sound like a Sprint customer. $15 per mo. for unlimited data. That's important for someone who is estimating about 900 minutes of data per month.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    His requirements are really heavy. 90 minutes per day talk time puts him up into the 1800+ minutes per month club for business days... Internet is clearly secondary and there Sprint's is the cheapest by far... $15 versus $40 or $45 but you'll need to see the overall bill...
  5.    #5  
    Not sure if this should be a separate thread but where is the best site/s on the web to buy a Treo 650 & pick a plan (hopefully showing me voice+data options-coverage areas on one page)?

Thanks all,
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JOSHD
    Not sure if this should be a separate thread but where is the best site/s on the web to buy a Treo 650 & pick a plan (hopefully showing me voice+data options-coverage areas on one page)?
    How about going to each major company's web site such as Verizon Wireless, Sprint, Cingular and TMobile?
    Hey all, curious what would be the least expensive plan if I were to order the Treo 650?

I probably only really "need" to use it 2 hours day (90 min voice, 30 min data but can live without data if too expensive), the rest of the time I'll be using my WiFi laptops or hard wired phones/pcs...

It would be nice if such a plan would be upgradeable (not fixed) if I find myself wanting more Treo650 network access. I'm in NYC metro area.

Thanks, -Josh
    Josh,

In the San Francisco market, T-Mobile has a promotion where for $39.99 per month (1 year contract), you get 1000 anytime minutes, unlimited nights and unlimited weekends. Their data plan, though definitely not for those with real high speed needs, is $19.99 per month for unlimited use.

They're a bit behind technologically (no EDGE), but they have decent customer service.

D
    David
    SPRINT SPRINT SPRINT....sprint's all about the price and the coverage isn't that much worse than Verizons, if any at all. Try Sprint out at your house or wherever else you need it to work for up to 14 days (just make sure you try it out with the 650 as internal radios make a big difference in cellular reception). If it works for you, get it.

Sprint's data can actually be gotten for $10/mo if you ask them to remove that $5 of credits toward downloads (ringers, games, etc...'cause they're junk, they're for "normal" cell phones)....you can find tons of free ringers as it is at http://www.mididb.com, games for the Palm OS, etc.

Sprint's voice plan is also the cheapest: Fair & Flexible plan. They even have quite a few discounts for certain companies and students.

Go straight there and check 'em out before the others. I hear the NW is Verizon country, but I'm sure that NYC is absolutely covered by Sprint as well.

If I couldn't have the data for $10/mo...It'd be tough to justify my buying the 650.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Sprint is fine for the most part in NY. Verizon is better in tunnels and out of the city but for the price, I think Sprint is quite acceptable. I've had them both.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks peeps, now grndslm & slinky no fighting-I appreciate all your input.

I have to admit the no WiFi yet is a bummer for me & I have to think about travel in relation to the coverage map. If I get the 650 now & a few months later the 700 comes out with WiFi & better camera, I'd be pissed. The ETA for the 700 is what 4 months from now?

I found some useful sites I'll post tomorrow. Of course the Treo Store here is also currently available for new accounts, didn't even see it listed at T-Mobile.com
    Thanks peeps, now grndslm & slinky no fighting-I appreciate all your input.
    As I don't live in NYC, his word should be taken over mine on coverage there. But the $5 roaming bit should help in the tunnels if Verizon does get signal in there.

I have to admit the no WiFi yet is a bummer for me & I have to think about travel in relation to the coverage map. If I get the 650 now & a few months later the 700 comes out with WiFi & better camera, I'd be pissed. The ETA for the 700 is what 4 months from now?
    If you really NEED WiFi, I'd suggest you go with a PPC phone...but you're going to be paying ridiculous prices for it. And I tend to be in the camp that says Palm's next Treo release will NOT have wifi....unless they're releasing 2 separate phones (which I really doubt; but Palm you better get a move on). I'd estimate the ETA of the next Treo will be around 4 months, give or take one (prolly give if anything). But I'm predicting that if you wait that 4 months and don't get your WiFi in the 700...you'll be more pissed than buying the 650 now.

But, might I ask what you plan on using the phone for? And why you need WiFi?? I mean, I understand you live in NYC and all, but it's not like the entire city is covered with it, correct?? You might have a couple of hotspots, but the $10 1xRTT connection from Sprint will be acceptable compared to not having access at all.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    I actually posted all this in a thread in sprint & verizon column of TC. As "grndslm" said the sprint's data plan (assuming picture vision pack) is just $10 once you tell CR to remove the $5 download credit. But I just saw on sprintpcs.com that premium vision pack is also $15/month with $10 download credit, so if you call CR to remove the download credit form premium vision pack your data is only $5!!!

Has anyone done this or can anyone with sprint just call and ask if you can do this or not?
    5 extra bucks on Sprint allows half of your minutes used for roaming on Verizon or other roaming partner's networks if you are that weary about coverage. Sprint coverage is usually pretty good though. Sprint PCS Vision premium pack is now $10 standard but with $5 download credit.
    I'm not sure what good Wi-Fi would have done anyway. It seems that the web browser is mostly where speed would matter, and, on the Treo 650, Blazer is so slow at laying out pages that having a faster connection really does not help much at all.
    Treo 650 with 1 GB SD card!
    http://www.rkuo.com
  15.    #15  
    There are many WiFi hotspots that I can take advantage of. For $10/mo unlimited Sprint data & bluetooth may do the trick though.

I'm currently about 22 miles outside of NYC & the Sprint signal at my street level is not nearly as strong as Verizon so I would have to do the 14 day trial if I did choose Sprint. Also xchpstang, I'll look into that.

Some friends who got the Treo 600 within 6 months of 650 were certainly pissed. What do you think will be in the 700 if not WiFi & better camera? That technology is already available...

PEACE

P.S. - I heard a very brief news report yesterday that all NYC/NJ tunnels had no coverage due to terrorism threats?
    Here they are pretty much broken down for you, based on a 2000 peak voice minutes per month need:

Verizon: $100 for 2000 minutes + $45/mo for data. Total: $145/mo
    Sprint: $100 for 2000 minutes "fair and flex" + $10/mo for data + $5/mo for F&CA (roaming). Total: $115/mo
    Cingular: $100 for 2000 minutes + $40/mo for data.

However, I am guessing that by "90 minutes per day" for voice, you dont mean peak minutes...but overall useage. I will assume about 1300 peak minutes for the usage you described above:

Verizon: $110/mo for 1350 peak minutes AND unlimited data (aka the "max choice voice and data bundle"
    Sprint: $50/mo for the 800 minute fair and flex + $5 x 5 x 100 minute in overage = $75/mo. $10 for data = $85/mo
    Cingular: $79.99 for 1350 minutes + $40 /mo for data: $120/mo

Choose whichever carrier has good coverage and the best price for your needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by adamstew
    Here they are pretty much broken down for you, based on a 2000 peak voice minutes per month need:

Verizon: $100 for 2000 minutes + $45/mo for data. Total: $145/mo
    Sprint: $100 for 2000 minutes "fair and flex" + $10/mo for data + $5/mo for F&CA (roaming). Total: $115/mo
    Cingular: $100 for 2000 minutes + $40/mo for data.

However, I am guessing that by "90 minutes per day" for voice, you dont mean peak minutes...but overall useage. I will assume about 1300 peak minutes for the usage you described above:

Verizon: $110/mo for 1350 peak minutes AND unlimited data (aka the "max choice voice and data bundle"
    Sprint: $50/mo for the 800 minute fair and flex + $5 x 5 x 100 minute in overage = $75/mo. $10 for data = $85/mo
    Cingular: $79.99 for 1350 minutes + $40 /mo for data: $120/mo

Choose whichever carrier has good coverage and the best price for your needs.
    DANG...IS SPRINT CHEAP, OR WHAT?!?!