Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Got my free T650 in the mail today. Everything was going pretty well until I installed ACT! for Palm. I have 800 contacts. Not long after, I noticed that my green phone button would only bring up the ACT! calendar--and that puppy's not even programmable!

Then I noticed that anytime I tried to enter an appointment or even look up a contact--my T650 resets. Really only happens when I try to enter an appointement everything else works fine, including calling from Act! contacts.

Sometimes it resets and the phone is automatically turned on. Sometimes the ohone isn't turned on again.

I'm using Act! 6.0 on my desktop and the latest version of Act! for Palm 1.0.1

The company that sells Act! knows of the problems but doesn't expect to have much to offer anytime soon. And experience has taught me not to expect help from them ever.

But I can't be the only one using Act! with a T650.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    My understanding is that Act! for Palm is flaky. In fact, they didn't offer 2 way synching until the next version, which isn't even out yet. The current version looks like something out of the 90s. If anything, I would guess that the problem is with Act! and not the Treo 650. Most of the people I know who use Act! do not use the Palm version...

The latest version for the Palm, expected release in a few months from now, appears to have huge requirements and will require you to make a LOT of room in precious RAM. I used an Act! customized product and never used a Palm component and used Smartlist To Go instead. Good luck with this.
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    Your best bet is to dump Act. I have been a loyal Act user for many years and their lack of support for the new Palm OS befuddles me. I paid for a conduit manager program just to sync Act because Act couldn't figure out how to do it. Just switched over to Agendus Pro and love it. Alot less money and no frickin issues that I can find. Act has been sold again to a different company. They are probably done for this time. All I can say is bye bye ACT
    I have the new ACT 7 and it comes with ACT for Handhelds and works great.

Time to update
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pederb
    I have the new ACT 7 and it comes with ACT for Handhelds and works great. Time to update
    Update to what? Act 2005, the current version, does not support the Palm except via a one way "palmlink" and a rather crude application. I was just sent an offer to preorder Act 2006 and there is no date as to when it is to be available. Only in that version is there any reference made to a full blown Palm product and the requirements are heavy. Here is Sage Software's own words regarding the current version of its product and the Palm:

Will ACT! for Palm OS 1.0 work with ACT! 2005?

Not at this time. We are working on the next version of ACT! for Palm OS, to be introduced at a later date. In the meantime, you can use ACT! Link for Palm OS to link data from ACT! 2005 down to your device.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Requirements on your PALM for Act 2006:

* OS 3.5 or greater (no problem)
    * 33MHz or greater processor (no problem)
    * Minimum 8 MB or higher of memory (hmmm, we got some real issues)
    * Minimum 500K free memory plus 1K for each contact (even more issues)
    * Hot sync manager or higher

Essentially, unless you have little else on your Palm, you will not be able to use Act 2006 with your Treo. Using Act it's easy to have at least 500 contacts, probably closer to 1,000 in total. Imagine needing to have roughly 10MB of RAM at a bare minimum to run Act on your Palm. Most would want to have more than 500KB free to run apps because, as we all know, the Treo rarely works (or works properly) at such a low free RAM number. This means that out of your usable RAM, at least half, if not more, will be dedicated to running apps and for using Act on the Palm.

I think this is something to consider in deciding how useful the upgrade and using it on your Treo will be. It's made me think since the Treo is the only Palm I own and will carry...
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the responses. Problem is, the Act! people (woever they happen to be at any give time) are always several steps behind whatever is gong on.

Finally, a couple of years ago, they came up with Act! for Palm and I bought it immediately. But that meant I had to go to their latest version (2000? 5?) Worked great. It's like a little Act on your palm. Worked perfectly on my 7135.

Then I bought a new computer 6 months ago and suddenly something didn't work right with XP. They said I had to buy Act! 6.

So I bought Act! 6 and now they tell me they know there are problems with Treo and "someday" they'll get around to more software that I can buy for the 650 that, by the time it comes out, won't be compatible with whatever new Treo arreives.

It's very disappointing to have finally felt that I had it right and now I have to seriously cripple my Treo, which, having now owned it for three days, I think I officially love, and having an intergrated contact database system.

The customer support sucks beyond words. And, that IS a heavy memory requirement.

I dread trying to convert my Act! database to anything else...
    Quote Originally Posted by wbwjr
    Your best bet is to dump Act. I have been a loyal Act user for many years and their lack of support for the new Palm OS befuddles me. I paid for a conduit manager program just to sync Act because Act couldn't figure out how to do it. Just switched over to Agendus Pro and love it. Alot less money and no frickin issues that I can find. Act has been sold again to a different company. They are probably done for this time. All I can say is bye bye ACT
    Can you tell me a little about your experience switching to Agendus Pro? I may make the change, too, if I can preserve my ACT data, notes, etc. Act just announced a patch to its 2005 version that supposedly brings it into sync with the 650, but I'm suspicious and not anxious to spend $150 to upgrade from Act 6 just for that when the company just isn't what it used to be. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislrob
    Thanks for the responses. Problem is, the Act! people (woever they happen to be at any give time) are always several steps behind whatever is gong on.

Finally, a couple of years ago, they came up with Act! for Palm and I bought it immediately. But that meant I had to go to their latest version (2000? 5?) Worked great. It's like a little Act on your palm. Worked perfectly on my 7135.

Then I bought a new computer 6 months ago and suddenly something didn't work right with XP. They said I had to buy Act! 6.

So I bought Act! 6 and now they tell me they know there are problems with Treo and "someday" they'll get around to more software that I can buy for the 650 that, by the time it comes out, won't be compatible with whatever new Treo arreives.

It's very disappointing to have finally felt that I had it right and now I have to seriously cripple my Treo, which, having now owned it for three days, I think I officially love, and having an intergrated contact database system.

The customer support sucks beyond words. And, that IS a heavy memory requirement.

I dread trying to convert my Act! database to anything else...
    I share your reluctance to convert and get out of ACT, but the time may be approaching. Are you going to try the new ACT 2005 patch for Palm, including the 650?
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Act just released the 2006 version as per above. Second note: I do NOT recommend getting Agendus Pro with built in email. Pro crashed on me all the time. The Standard version is more stable and indispensible, far more usefull than any other app or datebook IMHO. Use a dedicated email solution like Snappermail (my favorite) although others have reported success with versamail and the other major one evading me at the moment....
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    I've been using Agendus Pro, Snapper and Smartlist to Go; great combination.
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    I have two copies of 2006, but ended up going back to 2005. As a 10 plus year ACT! user, I am very disappointed with their past several upgrades and move to 'pay only support'. That being said it is still the best Contact Mgt Program for small business and using Agendus Pro and syncing with Outlook is not an option for me with 6,000 plus contacts. The truth is there is no good option for using any version of ACT! with the Treo 650, at least not for me. PocketPC is a different story. I use my tabletpc or winhand for an emergency. I will eventually switch to a windows based phone as there will be more support for ACT! and other programs on the WinOS.
    Buy ACT 6.0 on Ebay for very little money, use Agendus Pro on the Treo 650 and buy the Companion Link software to sync the PIM data.

The Companion Link software allows calendar, notes and contact, 2 way sync.

Personally I don't use ACT 7.0 since it does not have WinFax support. I sometimes send bulk faxes to clients.

The Act For Palm works great on the Treo 600 it crashes the 650

The ACT Link is only 1 way sync.

I am NOT sure what ACT 2006 will bring.

G0THIKE
  14.    #14  
    I just ended up keeping 6.0 and going back to Act! Link 2.0. I'm not sure what you mean, but I can sych data both ways....I don't use Companion Link. This is the same software that is on the disk. Are we talking about the same thing?

I feel it is a more elegant solution than working in Agendus. Agendus looks great, but they wouldn't answer my questions satisfactorily and this worked for me.

The think I miss most (the ONLY thing I miss?)? I can't highlight a phone number in the Palm calendar screen and dial it!
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislrob
    I just ended up keeping 6.0 and going back to Act! Link 2.0. I'm not sure what you mean, but I can sych data both ways....I don't use Companion Link. This is the same software that is on the disk. Are we talking about the same thing?

I feel it is a more elegant solution than working in Agendus. Agendus looks great, but they wouldn't answer my questions satisfactorily and this worked for me.

The think I miss most (the ONLY thing I miss?)? I can't highlight a phone number in the Palm calendar screen and dial it!
    Ditto here... I dumped the Palm version of ACT and am back with the highly reliable ACT! Link 2.0 ... ...
    hmm

Does the ACT! Link 2.0 sync Notes, calendar, Custom Fields? 2way sync?

G0THIKE
    Quote Originally Posted by g0thike
    hmm

Does the ACT! Link 2.0 sync Notes, calendar, Custom Fields? 2way sync?

G0THIKE
    Calendar and some custom fields.. although you have to be careful with how you map.. I've had it running long enough were I've forgottten some of the probs I may have had initially......2 way on todo, calendar, contacts...

As for notes.......damn.. I'm not sure... sry
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=g0thike]I am NOT sure what ACT 2006 will bring. [QUOTE]
    1. A significant additional cost
    2. A need for more internal RAM
  19.    #19  
    Yes, you can synch notes, too. maybe up to 8-10.... I really liked AFP when it worked. But I can't say I've been missing it.
    So here is a link comparing the Companion Link conduit and the Palm link

http://www.companionlink.com/clx4actpalm.htm#section1

G0THIKE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast