1.    #1  
    Hey all,

I'm on vacation, away from my home computer. When I left my home computer, I was having real problems getting my contacts to sync (among other things). I'm new to the Treo, but not to Palm, so this was frustrating...

BUT, here at this house, on a different eMac with NO previous Palm Desktop versions on it, I was able to install the Palm Desktop CD that came with the Treo, create a new user (that matched the name on my Treo), and sync everything just fine (well, I did enter into an endless reset loop due to something that the Treo didn't like in the backups folder -- but after cleaning out the folder, everything's fine).

My question is THIS: When I get back to my home computer [which DOES HAVE old-and-now-updated Palm Desktop software on it], what's the best way to clean out the old Palm Desktop sofware and start over (pretty much like I did on this computer)? What files do I need to ditch? I want to start fresh. I figure that with fresh Desktop software on the computer, I can sync what I already have in my phone with my desktop. But, I am going to have to ditch the old crap that's keeping me from syncing properly there.

What goes? My whole "user" file? Or, just the profile (my named user profile) within it? And, then, do I just "create a new user" (that will be the old user name)?

Just wondering how to start fresh, create a "new" user name (by trashing the old, I guess), and get syncing at home.

Thanks!!!

-Kirk
    First off it would be best to do an over the air download of a back up program unless you already have one so just incase everything dosent go well you always have a back up. Or at least copy your backup folder to a new folder and save it to the desktop, just in case. Then it would probably be best to uninstall and reinstall the palm desktop so you could recreate the luck you had on the other computer.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter
    First off it would be best to do an over the air download of a back up program unless you already have one so just incase everything dosent go well you always have a back up. Or at least copy your backup folder to a new folder and save it to the desktop, just in case. Then it would probably be best to uninstall and reinstall the palm desktop so you could recreate the luck you had on the other computer.
    You also need to remove the register entries for the palm desktop, and delete all the appropriate folders if you want it to completly re-install with everything new.
    I have a New Unlocked 650 because my 600 was stolen from me when I was traveling from Singapore to Bangkok. Mixed blessing?
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm wondering EXACTLY what the "appropriate" folders (to delete) are.

Also, I didn't trash the backup files from the backup folder -- I simply saved them to a different place on my Desktop, as suggested. I plan on adding a couple items back in to see if I can get them to work.

Thanks!

-Kirk
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KMeloney
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm wondering EXACTLY what the "appropriate" folders (to delete) are.

Also, I didn't trash the backup files from the backup folder -- I simply saved them to a different place on my Desktop, as suggested. I plan on adding a couple items back in to see if I can get them to work.

Thanks!

-Kirk
    1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs, and then select Palm Desktop and Remove.
    2. Access the registry by clicking on Start, Run and typing ‘regedit’ then OK.
    3. Click on the + sign next to HKEY_CURRENT _USER, then click on the + sign next to Software, then click on the + sign next to U.S Robotics. Delete any folder under U.S Robotics that starts with Pilot Desktop.
    4. Close the registry and launch Windows Explorer
    5. Under the C drive, access Program Files, and delete the Palm folder, if it exists.
    6. After Palm Desktop is uninstalled, please reboot your system.

That should do it. but let me know
    I have a New Unlocked 650 because my 600 was stolen from me when I was traveling from Singapore to Bangkok. Mixed blessing?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dockery
    1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs, and then select Palm Desktop and Remove.
    2. Access the registry by clicking on Start, Run and typing ‘regedit’ then OK.
    3. Click on the + sign next to HKEY_CURRENT _USER, then click on the + sign next to Software, then click on the + sign next to U.S Robotics. Delete any folder under U.S Robotics that starts with Pilot Desktop.
    4. Close the registry and launch Windows Explorer
    5. Under the C drive, access Program Files, and delete the Palm folder, if it exists.
    6. After Palm Desktop is uninstalled, please reboot your system.

That should do it. but let me know
    Uh-oh... I should have EMPHASIZED the part where I said I was on an (e)Mac. Sorry for letting you write those Windows instructions, but I really appreciate your time! I think I have it working now. Thanks a million!!!

-Kirk
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    whoops, missed that fact that the other PC was also a Mac.
    Glad you posted the Windows procedure. I always wondered how to completely clear the registry when deleting a program.

Off topic but I seem to be missing several dll files on my windowsME system do you know any way to get them?
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Can you tell me the dll's you are missing? BTW, there might be extra proceedures to follow if you want a extra clean system. It is relative to the hotsync.