Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been researching the Custom ROM process for the 650, as well as the use of the shadowmite tool. Basic first step is to load a ROM zip into the Tool, the ROM file must have the name of ace-palmos.zip.

I have downloaded the zip original GSM (unlocked) ROM file 1.13 from PalmOne and extracted (extracts into an exe.). Running the exe up to the point of syncing (but not), writes come .cab files and others to the hard drive.

No matter what I do, i.e.:

rename the .cab files
    rename the exe file
    rename the original zip file to ace-palmos.zip,

the Tool will still not recognize any of these as ace-palmos.zip, stating it is corrupted, what-ever. Has to be a simple thing I am missing. By the sounds of the details of the instructions, I would think that there is some ROM .zip file existing that contains just the archieved ROM files.

Would someone please share where I am going wrong?

Maria
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    If you find out please let us know.

Thanks
    You are doing it wrong. you don't rename anything. you open the ace file with the tool and add and/or remove apps. then you run the tool to generate the custom file that gets load to the SD. I have, at Palmloyal.com an 11 page step by step tutorial (with screen shots) (read the pdf).
    Last edited by godschoice; 07/12/2005 at 08:12 AM.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    You are making this too difficult...

After you find the ace-palmos.zip file in the ROM you are using as your base, you will find a button on the top left corner of Shadowmite's tool you must click to unzip the ROM. This will put the unzip ROM descriptives in the center box. Above this, click select all, which puts the file names into the right-hand box. This is where you edit your ROM.

To remove a file, double click on it. To add a file, you need to go back to the far left hand box and locate the .prc on your computer. Double-click on this, and it will magically add it to both the center and right box. When you are done adding and subtracting (I always remove first, then add, but that's just me), click "Build it". This will build your ROM and put it back into to file from where you extracted it.

Go into this file and find your Palm folder. As you go down, you will locate a file called "Device Customizer". In here, you will find a file called "Custom ROM" and "Treo650.XXX" (on my ROM, XXX = ROW for "Rest of World"). Click on the Custom ROM folder and you will find two files. Select both of them, and copy. Open your "Treo650.XXX" folder, and paste the two files you just copied into this folder. It will ask you if you want to replace the same named files already existing...say yes.

Go back and delete the Custom ROM folder. Go back some more, and copy the "Palm" folder onto your SD card. Hotsync your Treo, do a backup, and a hard reset. Insert the SD card, and when your Treo asks you if you want to run the Treo Updater, click "yes".

Then wait...for a while, until the Treo asks you to start poking the targets for the digitizer.

Restore your back-up, do a hotsync, and (ahem!) you should be good to go...

IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING, DON'T DO IT!!!!

Otherwise, your expensive Treo may just end up being a very expensive paperweight.

Good luck!!!
  5.    #5  
    Tool files were corrupted and would not read the zip. Good Tool set and worked perfectly.

Ciao
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Here's one thing I can't figure out.. when I move PRCs into my ROM, do I need to delete the app from RAM prior to uploading the new ROM?
  7.    #7  
    It wont hurt and will save some space...
    hi all...

sorry i'm a little confused. i am having the same trouble as lovecostarica did originally and don't see the solution. i downloaded the unlocked version of the 1.13 rom from the palm website. in the zip there is an exe... and in the exe are some cab files. so where do i find the file ace-palmos.zip? i tried to open the original zip i downloaded with the tool but it does not work. i'm sure my palm tool is not corrupt. any suggestions? thanks!
    Where on the PalmOne website did you find the GSM ROM? I am registered as a developer, but have not been able to find it.
    Yes, if anyone finds the Cingular ROM please let us all know.
    You won't find the Cingular GSM ROM anywhere - but you CAN get a ROM image using Shadowmites new ROM creation tool - see his web site for directions on this.
    I tried to create custom ROM image using Shadowmite's tool, and I get tripped up when it comes to doing the java stuff. I may not have the appropriate software loaded in my PC to unpack the latest Cingular ROM files.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbulante
    I tried to create custom ROM image using Shadowmite's tool, and I get tripped up when it comes to doing the java stuff. I may not have the appropriate software loaded in my PC to unpack the latest Cingular ROM files.
    Yup me too, I just havent had the time to mess with it long enough. I figured I'd be lazy and wait for someone else to do it

Guess I'll have to make some time to create the ROM myself.....
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Yup me too, I just havent had the time to mess with it long enough. I figured I'd be lazy and wait for someone else to do it

Guess I'll have to make some time to create the ROM myself.....
    Let me know if you are successful in doing it. If anyone out there was able to do it, please contact me at dbulante@msn.com. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    OK, I've decided to take the plunge. Two questions.

1. Does this work with the Verizon T650?

2. Where do I get the Verizon ROM to start with?
    JayJ
    -----
    PalmPilot Pro ->
    Palm III ->
    Treo 270 ->
    Treo 650 ->
    Treo 755p ->
    Palm Pre Plus
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quick question: to add an application, say PowerRun, to a custom
    Rom on my Cingular 650, 1.31FW 1.13SW (already running Shadowmite
    custom rom #2 -- no versamail, languages, tutorial ...), using his Rom tool, how does one handle the need to have the app registered?

In other words: do I just add a copy of my already-registered PowerRun.prc to the Rom -- and that's that?

Aren't there some apps that have the registration info in a separate file?

thanks.
    what's the max size for a cingular rom?
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsondr
    what's the max size for a cingular rom?
    Anyone have an answer for this one? I have a couple roms built, but I really want to take advantage of as much ROM space as possible.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    i've since discovered that it does not matter if you make a rom file to large. it will just error out without flashing. at this point you can just remove something from your rom and try to flash again.
    Do you have an aprox size that will fit and one for when it wont?
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast