1.    #1  
    I'm desperatly trying to help out my dad who has a very short fuse...

His farely new (1 month) Treo 650 w/Cingular stopped working as a phone today. All other functions work (internet, games, etc), it has signal (shows bars in addition to the fact we are in a location where calls can always be made), but when you press "call/dial" or click on the "phone" shortcut the sceen just blinks and nothing happens. In other words:

It's not working as a phone!

I held done the small button on the side and it said something like "Would you like to turn on the phone function?", I said "yes", it does something for a few seconds, but this did nothing, if you try to make a call or use it as a phone you won't get anywhere, not even past the main menu with all the shortcuts. PLEASE HELP BEFORE HE BRAKES IT?
    Any new software on the phone?

Make sure the SIM is firmly placed. Some use paper shims to ensure contact correctly.

Try a soft reset.

Pressing the right phone key/power key for a few seconds should prompt a chime, indicating the phone is powering up or down.
  3.    #3  
    Yea, tried a soft reset, didn't work. Phone made a chime when "turning on" even though it didn't. Went ahead a did a hard reset and now it's working as a phone but won't connect to the web etc. Probably just needs to be set-up again, unfortunately I didn't set it up, some guy at the store did, so looks like my dad is going back for what, the 4th time this month? Thanks though.