1.    #1  
    I think I want Docs to Go. Having read some comments about the new version it is just what I have been looking for. No one mentioned Crashes, or Conflics? And more important, how does it work with the Stowaway Keyboard?
    Originally posted by Dafydd
    And more important, how does it work with the Stowaway Keyboard?
    I haven't tested it extesnively, but the only problem I have noticed so far is that the tab button on the keyboard doesn't seem to insert a tab.
    John Nowak,
    have you tried pressing the ALT key while you press the TAB key? The Stowaway is seems to be set up to use the TAB key to skip fields when pressed alone.
    BobbyMike

The Stowaway keyboard works fine with Documents to Go. Have no hesitation about purchasing the software package. I have used about all the document readers/editors available, and Documents to Go is a winner.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I think DTG is great, however, since you asked about the Stowaway, I found that the keyboard short cut keys don't work (the ones to highlight or select text etc.). That's a very small price to pay, since I could rarely remember what most of them were anyway.
    -Michael-
    Originally posted by BobbyMike
    have you tried pressing the ALT key while you press the TAB key?
    Thanks -- that does indeed seem to work.
    While I haven't tried the combo yet, Jeff Kirvin has reported a significant slowdown with larger Word files that only happens if you are using the Stowaway (the slowdown does not happen if you are "only" using the stylus). For the details, see - http://www.jeffkirvin.com/writingony...lumn001030.htm

While I have only the highest regard for Jeff, there are a couple of points that I should mention:
    • I can't tell if Jeff is using the latest driver for the Stowaway (which improves keyboard performance, but still fails to reach the performance level achieved by the GoType driver). For the record, I can easily out type the Visor while using the Stowaway in a ThoughtMill outline (even when the outline is modestly sized); this is not the case when I use the GoType.
    • Jeff has defected to the PocketPC (PPC) as his primary computing platform. While some Palm zealots believe he was brainwashed in Redmond, his reasons for switching are understandable and reasonable. He continues to review and write about the Palm platform, and I've detected no overt bias since his "conversion." I only mention this because, had I not, someone here probably would have raised the issue.
  8. SCM
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I have also been a little disappointed in the drag that the Stowaway has getting letters into Doc to Go. While reading the thread, I took the advice of updating my keyboard driver, and that helped. Here is what I've found:
    When I am typing on a small document (a blank that I use to create "New" documents), the Stowaway keeps up with my fingers pretty well. However, when I load up my thesis, which is 38k, I find a significant drag. The keyboard is about two words behind me. It catches up pretty well, so I don't think this is a major problem. But be prepared that it will not type like a laptop once your docs get big.

I'm open to any suggestions you may have to speed up the process.

Stephen
    A possibility would be to create a new form for every several chapters. I am currently doing that. I first create a form for an outline of the whole document. Then I create an additional form for each chapter. Kinda unwieldy I guess.
    BobbyMike
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Originally posted by SCM
    I'm open to any suggestions you may have to speed up the process.

Stephen
    Just out of curiosity, have you tried Afterburner? I noticed a significant speed increase in DTG on the Stowaway with it. However, I haven't tried large documents yet.
    -Michael-
  11. SCM
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

[/B][/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity, have you tried Afterburner? [/B][/QUOTE]

I download Afterburner last night. When I try to use it with DTG and my Stowaway, I get a string of random characters every time I hit a key. When I set the speed setting back to Normal or Default, or if I disable Afterburner, then the keyboard works again. I haven't registered Afterburner, yet. Is this something that the registered version fixes? Right now, the program isn't usable with DTG!

Stephen
  12.    #12  
    Well I got the keyboard, it is a bit sluggish, but my typping is a bit slow anyways. So that is not proving to be much of an issue.
    However, I downloaded the test drive version of DTG and and find it a bit lacking. The keyboard shortcuts for selecting text are a big issue to me, and they just don't work. Niether do the shortcurts for moving the curser. I also had trouble cutting and pasting text. Losing text, and curser malfunction after pasting. Finaly, DTG does not allow creation of new docs. The work around is of course to make a blank templet doc and "Save As". These seem to be big bugs. So if DTG is the best, then the best aint best enough.
    Dafydd.
    P.S.
    Thanks for the advise.
    D.
    The DTG type-ahead problem is not just with the Stowaway; it shows up with Graffiti input too, especially if you are working with tables or long documents. I'm guessing the problem is that DTG tries to re-format the whole document after every keystroke. The best work-around I have found is to invoke the on-screen keyboard before you start typing. That way, DTG doesn't try to re-format until you close the on-screen keyboard window.
    jpkovar