Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK -- So, here's the deal. I've been using my school's IMAP server with Versamail just OK. But, I will be changing schools in the near future.

What I plan on doing is sending my old and new email addresses to Gmail mainly for spam filtering purposes (as well as universal access from any pc). The problem is that Gmail doesn't support IMAP yet.

Does anybody know of a reliable and free IMAP server??

Don't recommend doing it with Gmail's POP3 server, because POP3 sends your password in clear text across the net (however, it might be encrypted over the carrier's network). It also doesn't keep your sent emails consistent on your desktop and phone.

So....any free IMAP solutions??
    fastmail.fm
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    Same here - they do offer several levels of service. I started with their free offerings and in a week I up'd to a paid level. Very reliable, fast, et cetera. Ben
    I can't imagine that your email server doesn't also support pop3. Try and configure it as pop3 and I bet it works.

-BT
  5.    #5  
    Yea, I just found it after I searched. Shoulda done the searching before hand. But since this thread's already been made....are there any other free ones?

Email's not that important for me to pay for it.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
    I can't imagine that your email server doesn't also support pop3. Try and configure it as pop3 and I bet it works.

-BT
    Are you serious?? I just said:

"Don't recommend doing it with Gmail's POP3 server, because POP3 sends your password in clear text across the net (however, it might be encrypted over the carrier's network). It also doesn't keep your sent emails consistent on your desktop and phone."

IMAP's the way to go, homes.

....I guess that's karma for ya. If you don't search, you'll get someone who responds with an answer you specifically stated you didn't want.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    ....I guess that's karma for ya. If you don't search, you'll get someone who responds with an answer you specifically stated you didn't want.

I'm sure he was trying to be helpful.
    The problem is that Gmail doesn't support IMAP yet.
    You wrote that dude. Chill.

BTW, it's holmes.
  9.    #9  
    But as for fastmail...could anybody tell me why I should pay for an account as opposed to use a free one.

If I were going to pay, wouldn't I be better off spending the money on Chatter instead of the premium fastmail account?? Does chatter really provide any functionality that Versamail doesn't, EXCLUDING push capabilities??

I realize I could read on their websites, but I'm feeling kinda lazy right now skimming through TC...and I'm sure somebody would enjoy to point out the differences between these services/apps.
  10.    #10  
    You wrote that dude. Chill.

BTW, it's holmes.
    Sorry about snapping...I just get too aggravated on this board sometimes.

Thanks for the spelling correction, though...but check this out: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...es&btnG=Search
    Sorry about snapping...I just get too aggravated on this board sometimes.

Thanks for the spelling correction, though...but check this out: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...es&btnG=Search
    lol, urban dictionary spells it holmes...
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Holmes

Can an authentic homie clue us in?
  12.    #12  
    lol, urban dictionary spells it holmes...
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Holmes

Can an authentic homie clue us in?
    Yea, that'd be me. Straight outta Mississippi. Naw, j/k...dunno if "authentic" homies/holmies hang out on TC.

But honestly, up until today, I thought it was holmies too. At least that's how I used to spell it 'til I decided to spellcheck on google.
  13.    #13  
    Can authentic homies really spell, anyway? The ones I know sure can't.
    My understanding is that "holmes" is more old-school and refers to a single person. "Homies" is plural and is a shortened form of the "home-boys" that came before it. Both are used in the first part of these fine lyrics that I googled. (May be offensive to some people.)

http://www.lyricsstyle.com/l/lilrob/...ngangster.html

As for free IMAP accounts, they seem to be disappearing fast. A few years ago, there used to be a bunch, but I guess the business plan only works if you take in money.

-E
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottk
    My understanding is that "holmes" is more old-school and refers to a single person. "Homies" is plural and is a shortened form of the "home-boys" that came before it. Both are used in the first part of these fine lyrics that I googled. (May be offensive to some people.)

http://www.lyricsstyle.com/l/lilrob/...ngangster.html

As for free IMAP accounts, they seem to be disappearing fast. A few years ago, there used to be a bunch, but I guess the business plan only works if you take in money.

-E
    Nobody was denying that homies is plural. We were debating over the singular form: homes or holmes?? I'm still siding with homes since it's on google's dictionary...but since when was google used as the be-all end-all answer for everything??

BTW, it's holmes.
    What do you mean ?
    "Holmes in general are clueless about technical stuff like that".
    Is that correct interpretation?

Last edited by Mtreosexual; 07/10/2005 at 08:12 PM.
    I think holmes is more urban and sophisticated ,less ghetto than homie or homeboy.
    Who cares?

Can we get back to the original email question?
    the free fastmail account works, but you lose most of the benefits of using IMAP like storing email and organizing on a server online.

By paying a very small fee per year, you can get email service that is really quite amazing.
    Sorry if I'm being thick, but what exactly are the differences between IMAP and POP other than the password thing? The above post wasn't particularly clear.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast