Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by djfusion
    Sorry if I'm being thick, but what exactly are the differences between IMAP and POP other than the password thing? The above post wasn't particularly clear.

Google is your friend...

http://www.ust.hk/itsc/email/client/...aq/whatisimap/

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by aristarchus
    the free fastmail account works, but you lose most of the benefits of using IMAP like storing email and organizing on a server online.

By paying a very small fee per year, you can get email service that is really quite amazing.
    How exactly is it an IMAP account if you "lose most of the benefits...like storing email and organizing on a server online"??

I figured the only disadvantage of the free account was smaller limits on mailbox size and the "Try Fastmail.fm today" link at the bottom of all your outgoing messages....how does it not store your email??
  3.    #23  
    Also...Chatter's site says "No recurring fees"...that's only if you don't use the chatteremail.com account, correct??? So, what's the price of Chatter if you're using it with a fastmail account (they're both one time fees, right?)??
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    But as for fastmail...could anybody tell me why I should pay for an account as opposed to use a free one.

If I were going to pay, wouldn't I be better off spending the money on Chatter instead of the premium fastmail account?? Does chatter really provide any functionality that Versamail doesn't, EXCLUDING push capabilities??

I realize I could read on their websites, but I'm feeling kinda lazy right now skimming through TC...and I'm sure somebody would enjoy to point out the differences between these services/apps.

I paid for their service so I could use the SMTP capabilities. It's a one time fee - seems you have to pay that somewhere for enhanced abilities.. I don't/won't pay for yahoo or msn's enhanced services but I thought the features were worth it with fastmail.

I think it's like 14.95 one time fee?

Bek
  5. Lew
    If you by chance have your own website & hosting, check your provider to see if they support IMAP.

I use site5.com and it works well, both for IMAP and outgoing SMTP (authenticated). I just have my incoming mailbox forward to a mailbox on my domain and access it from there. Since it's included in the hosting service I already had for other reasons, it's effectively free.

-- Lew
    IMAP nor POP3 encrypt the password, both pass it in clear text.

IMAPS or SPOP3 both encrypt the password and protect it from being passed in the clear. IMAP and POP are 143/110 respectively, and imaps/spop3 are 993/995 respectively.
    Are you serious?? I just said:

"Don't recommend doing it with Gmail's POP3 server, because POP3 sends your password in clear text across the net (however, it might be encrypted over the carrier's network). It also doesn't keep your sent emails consistent on your desktop and phone."
    Yes you said that, but only half of it was correct. Gmail supports POP3 over SSL which is encrypted. Your password is not sent in clear text over the Internet. You're obviously correct regarding syncing folders.

-B
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beret
    Yes you said that, but only half of it was correct. Gmail supports POP3 over SSL which is encrypted. Your password is not sent in clear text over the Internet. You're obviously correct regarding syncing folders.

-B
    I can understand the SSL bit with Gmail, but I coulda sworn that IMAP didn't send password in clear text, khaytsus. I remember seeing that from at least 2 sources. Either way, I don't think the password thing would be a big problem on the phone as it's encrypted. However, when I check mail from my desktop, it's not (without SSL or IMAP).

Does anybody really know if IMAP sends your password in clear text or not??

But yes, the more obvious reason is definitely the syncing folders.
    khaytsus is absolutely right...IMAP/POP3 are not secure unless you are doing IMAPS/POP3S. Clear text passwords = bad

I use a hosted exchange account (with 1and1 for 6.99/mo) to handle syncing my calendar and personal mail using VersaMail. It is secure (runs on 443) and does calendar as well. Doesn't sync all folders, just the Inbox.
    Last edited by gmsmith21; 07/11/2005 at 07:32 PM.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew
    If you by chance have your own website & hosting, check your provider to see if they support IMAP.
    Hmm...No hosting solutions here. I'd consider making my own IMAP/SMTP server, but I think that a one-time fee of $15 is pretty hard to pass up considering I don't have a dedicated box for a server right now.

I still can't believe that there's nothing cheaper than $15 (free, even) for a REAL IMAP solution. That free fastmail account is junk.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmsmith21
    khaytsus is absolutly right...IMAP/POP3 are not secure unless you are doing IMAPS/POP3S. Clear text passwords = bad
    Dang, that's sad to hear.

Fastmail...does it have an IMAPS option, or only IMAP?
  12.    #32  
    OK...looks as if they do have IMAPS. SSL for SMTP is the next question. I get lost in their forums about port numbers and what's secure, and when they started offering that security.

It looked as if they said outgoing messages must be secured from the MUA. Soo....It doesn't look like Versamail has that option to me. Does chatter??

If it doesn't...heh...anybody know of a free SMTP server supporting SSL??
  13.    #33  
    bumpin'...

About SSL for SMTP

-Is fastmail's SMTP server secure (SSL)?
    -Versamail doesn't have an option to enable SSL for outgoing messages, eh??
    -It looks like Chatter does, is this correct??
    -If neither of them do it, is there a free SMTP server that has SSL support?
  14. sat
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    www.aim.com offers free imap for anybody with an AIM account.

They support everything except server side IMAP search.

I would try them out...
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by sat
    www.aim.com offers free imap for anybody with an AIM account.

They support everything except server side IMAP search.

I would try them out...
    EXCELLENT idea...good thing I hadn't shelled out the $15 for fastmail yet!!

Thanks sat.
    Just getting into the T650 side of things, but from my research would not Fusemail.com work? I am using it and am going to use chatter I think it will give me the total synchronization that I am looking for, IMHO.
    -g-
  17. tmt
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    POP3 sends your password in clear text across the net (however, it might be encrypted over the carrier's network).
    Not to dispute the other advantages of IMAP, but this is not a limitation of POP3. There are several forms of secure authentication supported by POP3, including Kerberos and APOP. Also, POP3 can be tunneled within SSL. Of course, the server has to support these too. Does Gmail really not do any of them?
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    i am testing chatter mail client.. it cause some reboot
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by tmt
    Not to dispute the other advantages of IMAP, but this is not a limitation of POP3. There are several forms of secure authentication supported by POP3, including Kerberos and APOP. Also, POP3 can be tunneled within SSL. Of course, the server has to support these too. Does Gmail really not do any of them?
    Yea, couple other people posted it above. Gmail does use SSL with POP3, but they still don't offer IMAPS yet!! What's the hold up, G?
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie_g
    Just getting into the T650 side of things, but from my research would not Fusemail.com work? I am using it and am going to use chatter I think it will give me the total synchronization that I am looking for, IMHO.
    -g-
    Umm...yea, fusemail would work...but it's a minimum of $20/yr, whereas fastmail.fm is a one-time payment of only $15. I'm still going to have to look into the aim account, though, because free is better than $15 to me.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast