1. hds
    Hi,

I loaded Chatter, configured an IMAP account and downloaded messages. Read a message. Hit the red X by accident (stylus on screen can be slippery, you know?). There was NO dialog asking me to confirm the deletion, the screen immediately displayed the next message.

I have NOT expunged or compacted the folder, yet the lost message is apparently gone from the server. I can't see it in Thunderbird, Mulberry, anywhere.

Any suggestions for how to get it back?

<rant>What's the point of having tons of cool features when there are inadequate safeguards against accidents like the above? Why is there no "undelete" option in Chatter? (Yes, I read the manual, and if there had been a confirmation dialog as described in the manual, I wouldn't be ranting now.) In Snapper, deleted messages appear stricken and are very easy to undelete. This is the second time I've tried Chatter, and it's the second time something unexpected has happened and messed up my mail. Fool me once... well, looks like this time it's shame on me.</rant>
    hds - If it happened as you said it did, there's no way that Chatter could have permanently deleted the message unless you had selected "Auto expunge" in the Mailbox's preferences (in which case, shame on you indeed). Chatter NEVER permanently deletes messages EVER, with the exception that I indicated.

If your server is an Exchange Server, then the message was moved to the "Deleted Items" folder. If not, then it was simply marked deleted, in which case you'd see it in your other PC clients.

Another thing; Chatter doesn't delete IMAP mail immediately in any case; usually, there's 10 seconds or so before the deletion happens on the server. During the interim, you can undelete the message.

So, I'm sorry you're upset, but I really don't think Chatter has done anything wrong.

Marc
  3. hds
    Marc: It happened precisely as I said it did. I am an experienced alpha and beta tester and know better than to post a report without reviewing related options. I am not a newbie to IMAP. "Auto-expunge" is not and never was checked. I am not using an Exchange server. If it helps, the company I use to host this particular IMAP account is Mailsnare.

I can reproduce the behavior at will, and after reviewing the Mailbox/Other preferences screen to double-check the option you mentioned, I deleted three additional messages (this time, messages that I won't miss). Not once have I seen a confirmation dialog. All three messages are gone from the server according to both Thunderbird and Mulberry.

So - I ask again - any suggestions?
    Obviously, I believe what you're saying.

Chatter has never had a confirmation dialog, and it's only been requested once in the last year and a half. There are literally thousands of registered users, and not once has this been reported as a bug, so I have to assume that there's something unusual about your setup or your server. Indeed, I have seen any number of cases in which a server doesn't properly implement the specification.

I am reasonable convinced that Chatter acted properly for yet another reason, which is that Chatter deletes by marking messages deleted. Expunge can be done only two ways; manually (requiring confirmation) or automatically, which can only happen if the preference is set or if it's an exchange server (in which case the message will have been moved).

If you can repeat this, I would love to see a log that shows a deletion and the following few minutes so that I can see for myself (and show you) exactly what Chatter has done.

Logging instructions are in the FAQ at www.chatteremail.com; if you send me your email address, I can also email them to you.

Marc
    BTW, I guess I should add that there IS confirmation requried on the Expunge command precisely for the reason you suggest. Until an Expunge is done, nothing irreversible has taken place.

Marc
  6. hds
    Thanks for the additional comments, Marc. I'm not sure whether I'll be able to reproduce it again. Since my last post, I did a couple of soft resets and I also set "Move deleted messages..." to sync with my online Trash box. That worked fine, which was encouraging. Then I read your new posts, so I unchecked the "Move deleted messages..." option and tried to reproduce the original problem. But now all works as it should, the newly deleted messages appear stricken on the server. (I searched again all over for my original missing messages, but no luck).

So - I don't know what to say. I would love to show you a log of what happened if I had one. It's an inauspicious start, but I'm not quite ready to uninstall Chatter since I haven't finished exploring its folder management -- that's what drew me back for a second trial. If anything unusual happens again, I'll send you a log. I assume it's fine to leave logging on for an extended period?

However - I am confused about the confirmation dialog: above, you wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    Chatter has never had a confirmation dialog
    but in the manual (p.16), it says, "Sync’ing is NOT more dangerous than the alternative as long as you use some common sense. First, attempts to delete all items in a synced Mailbox on the Treo require confirmation." Huh?
    The manual is correct, but poorly written. The intended meaning was that attempts to "delete all" in a Mailbox (i.e. using "Delete All Unlocked" and "Delete Old Unlocked") required confirmation.

Marc