Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    It's impossible to push POP3; however, what people do is to get IMAP service and then forward the POP3 mail there. And then the IMAP mail gets pushed...

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffg11570
    Is there any service the offers push for POP3? Chatter only works if you use IMAP and my internet provider (Optimum Online) is POP3.
    There is no such thing as "push" on a POP or POP3 mailbox. The protocol does not support that feature. All other "push-like" implementations involving a POP3 mailbox require a third-party server or require forwarding or notification triggers to SMS (a feature that has to be supported by the e-mail provider).

POP3 simply isn't smart enough. The best that can be accomplished is a triggered-pull (using SMS). If you can get your e-mail provider to send an SMS to your phone when you receive an e-mail at your e-mail provider's mail server, some e-mail programs (like Chatter) can use that SMS to "trigger" the program (client) to go fetch the new e-mail from your e-mail provider's server. Depending on how well the SMS-trigger is implemented, it will appear that you have "push" e-mail, but what you really have is a triggered pull (where the e-mail program is prompted via the SMS message to go pull the e-mail down from the server).

IMAP has the necessary commands within the protocol to support true "push" e-mail. Once a connection is established with the IMAP server, the client can sit and wait (IDLE) for the server to push e-mail to the client. The server will initiate contact and push the e-mail to it. Also, any changes to the status of an e-mail message will be syncronized between the server and the client. For example, if you read a message the message is marked as READ by you. If you reply to an e-mail, it will be marked REPLY. If you delete an e-mail from your client program on your Treo, it will also be deleted in your mailbox.

Bottom line: There is no such thing as PUSH e-mail on a POP3 mail account. POP3 by itself is not capable of that behavior. It was designed to pull the mail down from the server and then manage mail on the client. It was not designed for notification or status changes between the client and the server.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Although you can't push POP3, can an email provider such as Fastmail allow IMAP, and at the same time allow a POP desktop client pull the same messages sitting in the IMAP folders?
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Although you can't push POP3, can an email provider such as Fastmail allow IMAP, and at the same time allow a POP desktop client pull the same messages sitting in the IMAP folders?
    POP and IMAP are two completely different protocols. If the desktop client only understands POP, then it can't talk to an IMAP mailbox. If you are using a client such as Outlook (which understands both protocols), then you can simply access the IMAP account directly from the desktop just as you do from your Treo.

I can have my Treo (using Chatter) access my IMAP mailbox while simultaneously looking at the same mail from my desktop (using Outlook)...assuming that the e-mail provider allows you to be logged in from multiple locations (which most do). If I have unread messages, when I read or reply to a message, the message is then marked as such on BOTH my desktop AND in Chatter on my Treo.

With POP, if I pull down the mail (with a desktop client), I can't then turn around and access the same mail from my Treo (unless I use the option to leave the mail on the server). But using that option still doesn't let me mark messages as READ or REPLY, and if I delete a message on my Treo, it wouldn't be deleted on the desktop and vice-versa.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Inspector, I see what you mean, but my needs are a bit different.

I rely upon a desktop PIM product that only uses POP, not IMAP. What I am considering is using Chatter and Fastmail for all of the IMAP benefits, but at the same time occasionally pulling down emails via POP for permanent storange and indexing of important emails. Fastmail says they support both IMAP and POP, so I am trying to figure out of I can POP my undeleted emails I have already accessed from the IMAP folders.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Yes, you just have to make sure that your settings are such that you leave POP mail on the server.

Marc
    OK, good. Thanks, Marc.
    I use TreoHelper and Snapper together to get the functionality of push with a POP account. my POP account fires an SMS message to my treo when new mail arrives that says 'GOT MAIL'. TreoHelper see's the SMS, recognizes it, deletes it, and then launches a Snapper mail fetch. I usually get mail on my Treo about 40-60 seconds after my desktop see's the message. It's also nice because my Treo is only accesing the internet when it knows there is an email waiting to be pulled, so it saves some battery life. It is a perfect solution for me and I love it.
    sci72, can you expand on this. I just got my 600 and would liek to do what you have done.
    1st I need Snapper and I guess TreoHelper.

Cheers
    Chatter does this without help from other apps, btw (i.e. SMS triggers).

Marc
    Chatter can do the triggered pull via SMS for a POP account without the need for TreoHelper. It has an SMS trigger function built in. All you need is to configure your POP account to send an SMS when it gets an e-mail.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Thanks.. can you guys suggest a good read on SMS and setting up my e-mail at work to send a SMS trigger?

The IT guys are hardcore Blackberry guys and told me I should get a Treo I don't need super fast notification, a few min lag would be fine with me.
    Chatter doesn't work well with SprintPCS. I have tried it and it has too many bugs to be useful. I have heard from MANY other SprintPCS users that they are having the same problems. I would hold off until they get the bugs fixed.
    mykul - I'd think I'd be aware of this (being the developer), but I'm not. What part of SprintPCS doesn't work right??

Marc
    Hey Marc-
    I mean no offense. I think that Chatter is a great program. I am referring to the problems mentioned in your support forum http://www.chatteremail.com/index.ph...iewtopic&t=768

about the Treo turning on every minute or so for a minute or so and then going off.

I am not bashing Chatter...I would encourage EVERYONE to try it and see if they are lucky enough to be able to use it. That 30-day trial is fantastic. I am sorry if I ruffelled a few feathers.
    Quote Originally Posted by mykul
    Chatter doesn't work well with SprintPCS. I have tried it and it has too many bugs to be useful. I have heard from MANY other SprintPCS users that they are having the same problems. I would hold off until they get the bugs fixed.
    My experience with chatter (cdma sprint treo 650) could not be any more different from yours. It really has been rock solid which is pretty amazing for such a feature rich application. I also get surprisingly good battery life with sprint and chatter.
    Last edited by paulsjmail; 07/20/2005 at 09:29 PM.
    mykul - There's exactly ONE person who's seeing that! And I don't even believe that it's a Chatter bug!

Marc
    mykul...exageration can be dangerous. Be careful that you know what you speak of.

Chatter works GREAT on my sprint pcs.

Search the forums for testimonials from a very happy user base. Have there been issues with chatter as it's grown...yes. But Marc addresses these DAILY. This app is amazing due to unparalleled developer intensity and service.

Keep up the great work Marc...I'm loving the SD card support!!
    This thing doesnt work? So I am not supposed to be getting emails? I am confused. Chatter is supposed to be blocking my emails? Marc there seems to be a problem!!!!!

Chatter is a phenomenal app and Marc is an even better developer. I just found the Summary screen. That is SOOO cool. Thanks Marc!!
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Okay...you guys are pretty much acting like jerks. We are supposed to be adding our opinions to help others. I just shared my experience and the experience of the other users at my office (true their are only 4 with the problem but the ones without the problem are using cingular gsm phones). I am sorry for getting you all riled up. I was not expecting to be treated like such a tool for being honest. let met see...i can share my opinion as long as it isn't negative against chatter. Thanks...now I know the rules.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast