Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    A lot of great assistance on this site, thanks for all of your help :-)
    Wow now this is getting interesting....

Mr Tomtom Support, any tips? any news as to this phone being supported in future releases?

We want info!!!
    ...Scott
    We are committed to testing new products and making them compatible with our software, when possible. For updated compatibility lists, please check our site www.tomtom.com (we are in the process of migrating our servers to a new location in Germany so you will experience sporadic page/site outages).
    Unfortunately, we won't be able to test every new product out there, but lack of testing does not mean incompatibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomTom_Support
    We are committed to testing new products and making them compatible with our software, when possible. <SNIP>

Unfortunately, we won't be able to test every new product out there, but lack of testing does not mean incompatibility.
    I'm happy to see someone from TomTom here... I'd have to point out that the 650 is not a new product and that it is a fairly mainstream product. I agree that you can't test every product out there, but... addressing compatibility issues with products that were on the market and people have issues with is probably not a bad idea...

While on my soapbox, I am sick and tired of programmers skimping so much on error routines. The 700 is a perfect example... what exactly is the error that it shows during a failed pairing? Something flashes on the screen and goes away very quickly... A real (informative) error message could be more useful... Since TomTom can't seem to get around to fixing the issues... maybe we can work on them from our side...

Art
    Newton->Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism->Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 755p->Touch Pro->Palm Pre!
    We are committed to testing new products and making them compatible with our software, when possible. For updated compatibility lists, please check our site www.tomtom.com (we are in the process of migrating our servers to a new location in Germany so you will experience sporadic page/site outages).
    Yes I got your "traffic servers down" email yesterday but, all other option, other than DUN are not working with my treo650. It is heartbreaking. I mean after paying this much. I hope someone at TOMTOM is listening to us (hard headed fans) who trying everything to make TOMTOM work with our phone.
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.
    With regards to the 650 errors:
    We are aware that some are experiencing certain errors that the update was intended to fix. Most users are not experiencing these errors but this is something that we are discussing with the developers in Amsterdam and with Palm.
    Palm is actually the one who gave us the information to include with the update, in regards to the Treo.

One thing to double-check is your Navigator's software version (tap on screen while in Navigator > Preferences > Show version), it should display version 5.12. Also, receiving calls and then returning to Navigator after the call has ended only works properly when you are currently following a planned route. If you are simply having the software follow your location - or in any other status - you may not experience the benefits of the call answer.

It should be added too that GO units and Treo 650's cannot communicate with each other. We're not sure who started this rumor but customers are telling us that "certain unmentionable retailers" are implying that the two can communicate. This is simply a hardware limitation of the Treo 650 disallowing external devices to communicate with it. We have sent an email out to our retailers to advise them not to spread this rumor.

As soon as we have more information, work-arounds, or an updated fix we will post this on our website.
    Last edited by TomTom_Support; 09/19/2005 at 02:14 PM.
    "It should be added too that GO units and Treo 650's cannot communicate with each other. We're not sure who started this rumor but customers are telling us that "certain unmentionable retailers" are implying that the two can communicate. This is simply a hardware limitation of the Treo 650 disallowing external devices to communicate with it. We have sent an email out to our retailers to advise them not to spread this rumor."

A bit confused: Why is the Treo 650 listed in the phones section on the Tomtom 700?

Anyone want to buy a slightly used Tomtom 700?
    Anyone selling a Garmin StreetPilot c340?
    It should be added too that GO units and Treo 650's cannot communicate with each other. We're not sure who started this rumor but customers are telling us that "certain unmentionable retailers" are implying that the two can communicate. This is simply a hardware limitation of the Treo 650 disallowing external devices to communicate with it. We have sent an email out to our retailers to advise them not to spread this rumor.
    NOW I'M PISSED. The 700 was listed as being compatible. I bought it and have spent countless hours trying to get it to work. I have sent emails to TomTom (with no answer). Most forums have people saying it is working... Is TomTom giving up? Is this going to be the new line? If it is, I want a refund. Of course, since the missinformation started from TomTom, and it's been a while that I've been patiently waiting for an update, the store won't take it back... so I'm screwed... thanks a lot.

BTW, that line about this being a hardware limitation of the Treo 650 disallowing external devices is BULL... the method you are implementing may not be supported, but many other devices talk fine with it... This is the wrong forum to bluff your way through a tech answer...
    Newton->Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism->Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 755p->Touch Pro->Palm Pre!
    rumors spreaded by retailers??? Ummm is www.tomtom.com is your retailer. Try compatible devices (Actually now its removed, can you contact your network admin to collect old data for site???). Here goes my Tomtom700 back to Microcenter.
    NOW I'M PISSED. The 700 was listed as being compatible. I bought it and have spent countless hours trying to get it to work. I have sent emails to TomTom (with no answer). Most forums have people saying it is working... Is TomTom giving up? Is this going to be the new line? If it is, I want a refund. Of course, since the missinformation started from TomTom, and it's been a while that I've been patiently waiting for an update, the store won't take it back... so I'm screwed... thanks a lot.

BTW, that line about this being a hardware limitation of the Treo 650 disallowing external devices is BULL... the method you are implementing may not be supported, but many other devices talk fine with it... This is the wrong forum to bluff your way through a tech answer...
    To my knowledge, the GO 700 was never listed on our website as being compatible - however, the Navigator 5 software DOES have Treo 650 under the compatibility list. As it should.

The testing team advised us that the inability to communicate with the Treo lies in the way the Treo attempts to communicate through Bluetooth. Since Bluetooth is arguably "user friendly" it doesn't allow for parallel port communication - unless hacked - making it incompatible with many external devices who must connect via one port and submit queries to a parallel port (i.e. our GO Units).

We are constantly working with palm to include firmware updates and cross-protocol compatibilities to make everything accessible to our customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan
    rumors spreaded by retailers??? Ummm is www.tomtom.com is your retailer. Try compatible devices (Actually now its removed, can you contact your network admin to collect old data for site???). Here goes my Tomtom700 back to Microcenter.
    Our site wasn't being updated or changed, it was being migrated.
    I really considered dropping this discussion, but I'm still angry...

The testing team advised us that the inability to communicate with the Treo lies in the way the Treo attempts to communicate through Bluetooth. Since Bluetooth is arguably "user friendly" it doesn't allow for parallel port communication - unless hacked - making it incompatible with many external devices who must connect via one port and submit queries to a parallel port (i.e. our GO Units).
    As I said in my previous post, there are other products that work very well for hands free calling. This is again an issue with TomTom's implementation... I guess you can blame Treo for not doing what you expect, but capable programmers would find a way. I'm still hoping you guys do. That's the reason I bought the 700 (which I upgraded my 1 day old TT300 as I read that it supported the 650 for HandsFree). I'm still waiting to see the DUN working on Sprint, so that I can use it... That's actually even more annoying than the hands free not working. DUN is DUN and the fact that it works for GSM phones should indicate that it should work for CDMA. Again, this is bluetooth DUN. Doh!

Call me crazy, but if other apps/devices can use the Treo, so should TomTom... I can dream...

Art
    With regards to the 650 errors:
    I am sorry but you are way off base here, for one my Treo was working with my TTG700 for a couple of months without problems, it has only stopped working since I reset my Treo. There are others here that the combo works just fine, so it *IS* possible, in fact that was the reason for this thread.
    ...Scott
    Right, the 700 and Treo will see each other but the treo will not accept external commands from the GO unit.
    Mr/Mrs TomTom_Support I realize my tone may not be cheery enough, so I apologize, but please recognize that we are frustrated...

If you read the message above your reply, you will see that it *did* work for him, and then after a reset, it stopped working. Your assertion that the Treo does not accept external commands may be true on some instances, but as shown above, not all.

The right approach would be to find out why it works sometimes and not others. There seems to be a specific configuration that "will accept external commands" as you so put it (or whatever is actually happening). Finding out why that is the case will go a long way towards making the 700 work with our beloved problem childs.

There has to be a software based reason for this, and I'm sure palm would be happy to work with you guys...

Art
    I did read his message and my first reply was simply the information that we have at hand. We ARE working hand in hand with Palm to resolve the many, many issues that seem to be plaguing our dear Palm users.
    To be honest, we have spent so much time recreating errors customer's are encountering - in order to provide temporary workarounds - that we have had little time to address the root causes.
    While its not my business to point fingers, I think its a little more than coincidence that a vast majority of the installations and compatibility problems related to the Navigator 5 software and the GO Units come from Palm users. Many of them, Treo users. Any problems encountered by PPC and other, non Palm users are dwarfed in comparison; Both in quantity and in complexity.

As a long-time Palm user, I share your frustration - although I do not use a Treo.

That being said, I must reiterate what I previously said. The Treo 650 unit is/was not compatible with our GO 700. They will see other and the GO can even understand commands from the Treo - which is why sometimes it SEEMS to work. But the Treo just will not except external commands from the GO unit.. and thusly, will not pair.
    That being said, I must reiterate what I previously said. The Treo 650 unit is/was not compatible with our GO 700. They will see other and the GO can even understand commands from the Treo - which is why sometimes it SEEMS to work. But the Treo just will not except external commands from the GO unit.. and thusly, will not pair.
    I think you are missing my point
    Mine did and would pair
    I could make and receive calls with my TTG700 through my Treo650
    I could transfer my contacts to my TTG700

I know others have this working as well.

Mine stopped when I did a hard reset on my Palm.

I firmly beleive the Palm Bluetooth is crap, in my trying to get DUN working on another laptop I received random responses from the Treo650. So I am not blaming Tomtom. I am just saying it has worked, it will work, and it is currently working for some people.

Perhaps contact one of them and see what you can find.
    ...Scott
    TomTom_Support,

It may be of interest to you that currently, the PALM STORE online is selling the TTG300 and TTG700. They are advertising the TT to be a "hands-free" car kit AND advertising compatability with the TREO 650. It seems your plate may get a lot fuller with complaints very quickly if they are allowed to continue this. I have personally decided to have patience as I think a fix will be found. However, I think your complaint numbers are shortly going to go very high since PALM itself is selling the TomTom's and claiming "hands-free" compatability. I might suggest adding a few more engineer/programers to the problem before you get overwhelmed.

Good Luck!!!

Here's the link to the Palm Store TomTom Page:

http://store.palm.com/product/index....entPage=family
    Last edited by resinomer; 09/25/2005 at 03:25 PM.
    After a few long hours, I am able to get my Treo 650 (T650) and TomTom Go 300 (TTG300) to not only pair but download and use all of the features of TomTom Plus. If I can do it with a TTG300 then I’m sure you can do it with your TTG700. I don’t claim to be any type of expert, however, I do know a little somethin’ somethin’ and more importantly, I am persistent as hell. I initially came to this forum after I had problems pairing the systems.

BACKGROUND: I purchased my Cigular locked T650 in NOV 04 and my slightly used TTG300 about 5 days ago off of ebay. I’ve dropped my T650 about 25 or 30 times due to the previous case that I carried it in. However, it appears to still work fine and does everything I ask of it and more. My TTG300 is mounted on the left dash of my car, between the driver and the driver side door with my T650 mounted just to the right and below my radio and center console. In this position, I’ve had to turn my phone off and then back on once to reset it and receive downloads. Notice that I didn’t say that I did a hard or soft reset! The day before I got everything to work, I called both Palm and TomTom (got the number from Palm…he he) to explain my problem with their products and to relay comments that I’ve seen in this sting and a couple of others. As you may assume, each company blamed the other for the fault. This is when I decided that you and I were on our own.

BOTTOM LINE: Not to insult anyone, but as you may know, there are essentially three steps in obtaining satisfaction with the TTG300. Step 1 is to prepare your T650, step 2 is to pair the T650 and the TTG300, and step 3 is to connect to a network. I recommend that you be patient with yourself and your products and if you become frustrated, take a break and come back to the matter at hand later. Don’t get frustrated and remember to follow these steps to the “t”. If following the steps exactly doesn’t work for you, then and only then, should you start varying your actions.

STEP 1 (PREPARE YOUR T650): The biggest problem with this whole pairing and Dial-up Networking (DUN) thing is to ensure that you have the right software on your phone and that you have the right network set-up.

STEP 1A (UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE): You have to get beyond the way Palm initially set up the T650. Regardless of your cell phone provider, go to this site and update your firmware: http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...reo650updater/ Follow the firmware steps exactly! Once complete tap on the ‘Bluetooth’ Icon. You will notice that under the Bluetooth icon, you have the ‘Dial-up Networking option’ which may not have been there before. Ensure the following; Bluetooth: On; Device Name: Treo650; Discoverable: Yes; Dial-up Networking: On. Click ‘Done’. I recommend that you change your Device Name to Treo650 without any spaces. Spaces are not recognized during DUN. You should notice that you get a new icon (the DUN icon…looks like an open laptop) in the upper right side of the screen, next to the antenna bar. Later on, after all is well with your T650, TTG300/700, DUN and the universe, you can turn the Discoverable command to Off. You wouldn’t want anyone hacking into your T650 and finding any bones. You see what happened to Parris Hilton. Lol!

STEP 1B (SET UP A NETWORK): From the ‘Main Menu’, tap on the ‘Preferences’ Icon and under ‘Communication’ tap ‘Network’. Access the drop down menu and select ‘New’. Enter the following; Service: TomTom; Connection: Wireless dial-up; User Name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.com; Password: CINGULAR1; Phone: *99***1 Click ‘Done’. These actions will disable your web browser. Therefore, when you are ready to surf the internet again, you must turn the DUN off and switch the network back to Cingular GPRS! And when you want to use your TTG300, turn DUN on and switch the network to TomTom. Simple? Simple! Your T650 is now prepared!

STEP2 (PAIR THE T650 TO THE TTG300): With your phone on, Bluetooth DUN ‘On’ and your DUN switched to ‘TomTom’, turn on your TTG300, tap the screen, tap the right arrow twice, tap on ‘Connect to your phone’ and follow the on screen instructions. Use ‘0000’ as the passkey/PIN on your T650 when prompted. Once paired, the TTG300 will connect you to the network.

STEP 3 (CONNECT TO A NETWORK): Make sure that you have your TomTom Plus username and password available. Continue to follow the on screen instructions outlined in step 2. If you would like to watch the connection and download, click on the green Phone/Send button on your T650 and look in the upper right corner of the screen by the antenna bar. Take note of the DUN icon and watch your phone connect to a network (horizontal green arrows above the antenna bar) while simultaneously communicating with your TTG300. Poetry in motion, baby! I’m so excited…and I just can’t hide it…I’m about to lose control and I think I like it.

Note: I will check back here periodically to see if people are having success. If you have any questions, please post them here. Otherwise, enjoy your T650 and TTG300. If you feel an urge to thank me, I accept PayPal payments…small bills please. Take care.

Rangers Lead the Way!

OTHER SITES OF INTEREST:

http://mytreo.net/archives/2005/08/b...e_treo_650.php

http://shadowmite.com/HowToDUN.html
    Good Writeup Oakley.

I find it unbelievable that so much has to be done on the treo in order to switch between dialup and phone. This is not a complaint against TomTom... but the TomTom suffers because of the Treo.

I still don't understand why PDAnet can make it work and the built in can't...

Although these instructions are great, I'm still looking for a much simpler bluetooth implementation... HANDS FREE!!!! You'd think that was easier, given all the products that manage to do it. oh well... I can still hope

Art
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast