Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cortjestir
    Bhozier,

I just thought of something. Try testing from the ground-up (i.e. hard reset, pair with TTG, install apps one at a time, test pairing after each install, repeat as necessary) vs. troubleshooting particular apps. I know it may be time consuming, but it will certainly lead you to the conflicting app (if any) and also clean out your Treo 650 pretty nicely. This is clearly much easier if you have something like BackupMan to install individual apps/PDBs from a backup.
    I completely agree with your suggestion, cortjestir!

In a sense, I've been tackling it both ways (with the saved clean backup on SD card & at the same time my full set of apps that I'm "working backwards" from to eliminate conflicts in RAM). I must say it was indeed much easier working with the clean install. The more I dig into the apps/DBs, the more I see how totally interconnected they are, so deleting one conflicting app may not remove its residual effects on the system as a whole.

So Bhozier (& others), what do you say? Let's have at it.

By the Way, the safest bet for protecting your original software setup for restoration would be to rename your backup & archive file folders, as everyone here likely knows.... Seems a good plan since that would free up the SD-card Backup program for a little R&D. Alternatively, you could establish a 2nd hotsync name on the desktop for experimentation, just like during the ROM update process...

I'm happy to reward the one who nails the conflict!
    From the Desk Of....
    MindFull
    SF Bay~
    The Treo 650: Crisp & Clean, but the RAM is lean!
    Restored my previous settings (post hard-reset) & happy to say it's back UP & RUNNING. Just reloaded my contacts to the TomTom 700 & am talking on it now.

I'm hesitant to reinstall anything!
    So far here's some helpful info about my configuration:

TOMTOM Go 700
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Device: XX9XX XXXXX
    App: 5.202 (5302/050715) OS: 908
    61 mb RAM (free: 21.3 mb)
    GPS v1.21, Boot 3.04

Map: "North_America-map" v567
    Language: English US
    (Specialty Apps By ScaredyKay removed, but I don't believe that makes a tangible difference, based on sbessel's connection with them installed)
    ---------------------

TREO 650 (SPRINT)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Phone Info:
    Software: Treo650-1.12-SPCS
    Hardware: A
    PRL Rev: 10028
    PRI Checksum 0xE172

System:
    PalmOS- Garnet v5.4.8
    Phone Power: ON
    Network: Connected

Apps Installed: Factory Basics from Hard-Reset
    Contacts Restored from desktop Sync
    VersaMail settings Restored from DeskTop Sync

DBs/files in ROM & RAM:
    (Accessed via DefaultLauncher>Menu>info>scroll down)
    ~I'm Certain that some of these files were NOT there on my previous system that didn't connect, so these bolded files may be crucial~
    Bluetooth v2.0(W) 78k (Software FILE, not HARDWARE folks!)
    Bluetooth v2.0 2k
    Bluetooth Device... v2.0 63k
    Bluetooth Exchange... v1.0 63k
    Bluetooth Library v6.0 239k
    Bluetooth PrefsBackup v.0.0 no MemSize shown
    BtCommVdrvLib v3.0 1k
    BtDeviceLibrary v3.0 9k
    BtExt v6.0 no MemSize shown (just for the record)
    BtHsmLib v2.0 43k
    BtStack v5.0 110k
    BtTransport v6.0 1k

BlueTooth Configuration:
    Bluetooth: ON & Discoverable, of course,
    DialUpNetworking: OFF
    BT Menu>Device Name Cache Enabled
    Trusted Devices: None before Initial Pairing (TT GO thereafter)
    HandsFree Setup: None before Initial Pairing

Last Notes:
    Sequence Of 1st Pairing that Worked
    Though it seems to not matter once connected, FYI I had both units reset. On the Treo, soft reset, then Phone Connect, then Network Connect, then OFF. On TomTom, I pin-reset, then clicked "I agree" then ConnectToPhone>> Searching>> Check Features: Then (roughly by memory) "The following features have been found on this phone: Handsfree, PhoneBook/Contacts")

SMS/ Text Messages are not appearing on TTGo 700, but that may be due to some settings on my system (I have it set for "Privacy Mode" so the SMS's don't take over my Treo during meetings. Perhaps if I removed this setting, they'd appear.)

TomTom GO Phone Settings: Though Not very intuitive, while you're on a call, you can adjust speaker volume & some other features by pressing screen>Phone. This is great to know in advance as it's bound to need adjusting (first calls had echo & interference; since adjusting it's been very workable)

I'll keep you posted if I come across a re-installed app that kills the connection.

Best,
    Mindfull
    Last edited by MindFull; 08/04/2005 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Greater Detail
    From the Desk Of....
    MindFull
    SF Bay~
  3.    #43  
    Just attempted a hard reset and still no go

Using wifes phone :-)

Phone Info>
    Software: Treo650-1.12-SPCS
    PRL Rev: 10028
    PRI Checksum 0xE172

GPS Info>
    Device: XX8XX XXXXX
    61 mb RAM (free: 24.3 mb)
    GPS v1.21, Boot 3.04

Map: "North_America-map" v567
    Language: English US

No extras installed

I will fool around more
    Last edited by Bhozier; 08/03/2005 at 10:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MindFull
    ~I'm Certain that some of these files weren't there on my previous system that didn't connect, so these may be crucial~
    Bluetooth v2.0(W) 78k (SOFTWARE not HARDWARE folks!)
    Bluetooth v2.0 2k
    Bluetooth Device... v2.0 63k
    Bluetooth Exchange... v1.0 63k
    Bluetooth Library v6.0 239k
    Bluetooth PrefsBackup v.0.0 no MemSize shown
    BtCommVdrvLib v3.0 1k
    BtDeviceLibrary v3.0 9k
    BtExt v6.0 no MemSize shown (just for the record)
    BtHsmLib v2.0 43k
    BtStack v5.0 110k
    BtTransport v6.0 1k

BlueTooth Configuration:
    Bluetooth: ON & Discoverable, of course,
    DialUpNetworking: OFF
    BT Menu>Device Name Cache Enabled
    Trusted Devices: None before Initial Pairing (TT GO thereafter)
    HandsFree Setup: NONE before Initial Pairing[/INDENT][/COLOR]
    How did you get 2.0(w) for bluetooth? my Bluetooth About box only says 1.0(w) and I just upgraded to 1.12 in sprint...

Maybe that's the problem? Anyone care to make those files available?

Art
    Newton->Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism->Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 755p->Touch Pro->Palm Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by bioart
    How did you get 2.0(w) for bluetooth? my Bluetooth About box only says 1.0(w) and I just upgraded to 1.12 in sprint... Maybe that's the problem? Anyone care to make those files available?
    Nah, I'm running Bluetooth 1.0(w) as well as it's been working great for me thus far... Must be something else...
    Bioart~

That list included files & DBs installed on the Treo that's connecting to the TomTom successfully. I accessed the list as mentioned in that thread (from Default Launcher>Menu>Info) to see the file list. FYI, from the Bluetooth screen, Menu>About Bluetooth shows Bluetooth 1.0 (W) on mine as well, but the presence of those listed files MAY make a difference. Check yours & see what's on the list compared to the above. If others with successful connections could post their lists, it might be helpful, too....

I'd be a little hesitant to install individual ROM files to your device, though others have recommended it in other threads. Not without major backing up! A VERY common recommendation when others have come across BT problems is to re-install the most recent Firmware Update on the Treo to make sure all the files are installed.

It seems to follow that a clean install should yield the exact same configuration for everyone, but that's not always the case. Even without any apparent error messages, the update may not have been complete.

So IF the files listed above aren't on your device, you might want to give that a whirl.
    Can anyone else with a solid connection post their file lists? I just pulled the files starting with either "Bluetooth" or "Bt"....

Hope this helps,
    M
    From the Desk Of....
    MindFull
    SF Bay~
    One last thought based on some web-research the last few days:

One of the greatest weaknesses of the Treo's BT implementation seems to be its lack of a consistent mechanism to turn off its search for BT devices. I've seen several threads on many forums mentioning this. In effect, if you've initiated any BT search from the Treo (VIA Setup Trusted Devices> Add Device) you may have created a block/barrier to discovery of the Treo by other devices. A SOFT RESET seems to address this & reset the Discovery to normal, then ONLY initiate connection from the TomTom GO, preferably with the TT's device cache cleared (see above threads).

(I can post url's for the websites that mentioned this problem if any would like)

Thanks again to Cortjestir & sbessell. I'm thanking you guys each time I use handsfree! Looking forward to getting TT hard-wired for full integration into the car, since the Go700 seems likely to be installed for the long-haul. NOW that it's fully functional, I can't imagine a device I'd rather have for Nav. Traffic service would be nice, but not a necessity (Blazer websites & new Treo program for that when needed...). All in all, very very pleased.

Has anyone got SMS to work on TomTom's screen? Just curious, since I'm sending/receiving a lot lately. More of a "perk" than a need. ;-)

Best to all.
    From the Desk Of....
    MindFull
    SF Bay~
    Oh well, I'm getting tired... I've tried all different options, and no luck. I still get the "your phone does not have any features" message... I think I need a break from it for a while. At least I'm enjoying John Cleese giving directions...

Art
    Newton->Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism->Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 755p->Touch Pro->Palm Pre!
    I am not having any luck paring the Tomtom 700 and the treo 650. Maybe the issue is with the provider of the phone?? ie. the software version of the Treo 650?

I even did hard reset (backup up the data first and did not restore till after the test) and the tomtom still gives the "your phone does not have any features" message.

Phone Info>
    Provider: Cingular Wireless
    Software: Treo650-1.15-CNG

GPS Info>
    Device: XX8XX XXXXX

Can people post their success and/or failure, their carrier and software version?
    (in phone mode, bring down the menu, and go to phone info)

I hope we get this resolved soon or I will be forced to return the unit and either go with the Tomtom Palm solution , or a Garmin unit with traffic.
    BTW,

Even after a hard reset, my Sprint 650 won't pair with my TomTom 700 v5.202

Arghh
    I am a cingular customer and am getting really frustrated by the inability to get my t650 to talk to my tomtom. They can see each other with out problem. But it seems the tomtom is looking for something specific the treo isn't giving it during the handshake. Has anyone figured out what that is?? Or is this simply something we are going to have to beat tomtom and Palm over the head with until they give in.
  12.    #52  
    I have hard reset my Sprint 650 and also updated the os on the TT700 to 5.202

I then hit restore factory defaults on the TT700 and still can't get them to pair

This is a joke (a bad one)

If i initiate the pairing on the 650 > i go to setup device > handfreed devices > next > it sees the TT700 and i select it > it then asks for the key > i have entered 0000 > and then ... I get a BT Warning on the 650 and it says " Unable to add Tom Tom Go 700 to your trusted deice list

I have also tried to pair it endless times from the tt700 first

OK so i have a clean (after hard reset of 650 and a a clean install of 5.202 and also tried resetting to facorty defaults on the tt700

given that some can connect and others can't there has to be something simple that we (they) are missing

Anybody have any ideas?
    I can say that when it works it is a simple setup. I jumped through no special hoops. I can tell you that lately I have been trying to pair my Treo with my laptop and get mixed results from the Treo all the time. I have found I get the best results by reseting the Treo first then pair from the laptop/TomTom - I have *never* been able to get anything to work by pairing from the Treo, in fact I have found that screws things up and I have to do a lot of deleting and reseting to get it to clear out things I paired from the Treo.

I am sorry but I can offer no magic bullet...
    ...Scott
  14.    #54  
    SBessel

How did you delete the trusted pairs on the TT700 and on the 650?

I also downgraded to 5.201 just for kicks and no go as in TomTom Go

Do you rememeber what the passkey was --- I may want to try and pair from the 650 --- i seem to get a little farther this way --- but i have been entering 0000 as the passkey when asked by the treo (i never see one on the tt700

I wish TT would want to figure this out

Thanks in advance
    The 700 won't ask you for a passkey. When you initiate contact from the 700, the treo will pop up the display asking for the passkey which is "0000" (all zeroes).

To delete the pairings from the treo, go to the bluetooth screen and click on "trusted pairs", then highlight the tomtom. At the bottom of the screen will be a button to delete the pair.

On the tomtom, tell it to connect to a phone. If no connections are nearby it will ask you if you want to remain paired with such and such phone. Tap No and it disconnects.

To set up the connection for it work you supposedly have to initiate the connection from the tomtom. It hasn't worked yet for me, but I know it has for others. I can get the wireless internet to set up, but the tomtom keeps telling me the phone features aren't available. Go figure since the connection is on the stupid phone. Turning off the wireless networking doesn't help me either as then the tomtom simply tells me there isn't a device available.
  16.    #56  
    Last night I did:

- clean reinstall of Sprints 1.12 on the phone
    - clean reinstall of 5.202 on TT 700
    - Reset TT
    - Reset Phone (did not load any data - contacts etc...)
    - initiate pairing from TT
    - and same old thing .... no love

Usually I'd accept the fact the two devices wont work together but given others have had success - I find this incredibly frustrating

I think I've exhausted all options and will have to return the TT700 and go with different unit or go back to the TT500 and the Parrot 3100 set up

Bummer
  17.    #57  
    I'm over it

I will return the TT700 (for the second time) and purchase the Parrot Bluetooth Handsfree with GPS and upgrade to Navigator 5

It's been fun ... I mean frustrating
    I have an interesting update...

I am no longer able to use my TTG700 and Treo650. It will not pair as it gives the message that the phone does not have the needed features...

It has been working perfectly for months. I ran into an issue syncing contacts with my phone, tech support had me do a hard reset, where I pushed/held a bunch of buttons and the reset, everything started from scratch... Since then I have not been able to work. This is my first hard reset on this phone, and I have updated from 1.?? to 1.08 to 1.12....

It looks like maybe there was some files hanging around from all the old versions on my Treo that made it work? I am not sure, and have little to no time to troubleshoot...

Hopefully this information will help someone...
    ...Scott
    Hmm... that's quite interesting... I've given up until the next 700 update comes out. I keep looking around, but no new posts anywhere on this issue... would be great to get a list of files from someone that has it working...

Art

Quote Originally Posted by sbessel
    I have an interesting update...

I am no longer able to use my TTG700 and Treo650. It will not pair as it gives the message that the phone does not have the needed features...

It has been working perfectly for months. I ran into an issue syncing contacts with my phone, tech support had me do a hard reset, where I pushed/held a bunch of buttons and the reset, everything started from scratch... Since then I have not been able to work. This is my first hard reset on this phone, and I have updated from 1.?? to 1.08 to 1.12....

It looks like maybe there was some files hanging around from all the old versions on my Treo that made it work? I am not sure, and have little to no time to troubleshoot...

Hopefully this information will help someone...
    Hello ALL~
    Sorry to hear about the issues with getting connected. Since mine has worked, I now understand Sbessel's previous casual posts, as indeed the connection is effortless when it's working. I've had no disruptions over the past 6-7 weeks of use....
    However, sbessel's most recent post is certainly cause for concern. I'd agree that it must be some remnant file in memory that is enabling it. I'd recommend going back to my thread where I listed the Bluetooth files on my Treo that allowed the connection to work back on 8/05/05 at 11pm.

And to reiterate, though it deceptively apprears to get you 1 step further initiating connection from the T650, IT NEVER WORKS. As Sbessel mentioned, it only fouls things up by creating failed connection logs, etc. I believe I posted it elsewhere in this thread that the T650's primary fault in BT implementation has to do with NOT SHUTTING OFF THE BT SEEKING FUNCTION when you intiate a connection to Nearby Devices. This in turn makes the Treo (or parts of its BT functions) appear UNAVAILABLE when you initiate connection from the OTHER device. Since PALM doesn't admit this fault publically, they've never posted a fix, but it SEEMS soft-resets will restart the BT service from scratch.

BOTTOM LINE: I've never had to learn so much about programming, connectivity, etc as I have with the T650 (perhaps my 8th or 9th PDA!). The term SMARTphone is clearly a misnomer. When it works, I'm thrilled, but I must say it's SO frustrating to read sbessel's account that one reset could wipe out a significant function without a trace. And this has been true to VersaMail, Agendus, various BackUp programs, etc...

There is some light at the end of the tunnel, in that some, like myself, have it working, so it IS possible, but it takes delving into the files management, etc more than most of us want or have time to.....

Best of Luck!

PS~ For the die-hard (like myself ;-): READ ALL PREVIOUS POSTS HERE> They're here to HELP you. Even if you're efficient, this will take more time than you'd like to get running. So trying methods that have never worked for anyone else may just be taking more of your valuable time. Just a tip ;-)
    Last edited by MindFull; 09/12/2005 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Noting Previous Post
    From the Desk Of....
    MindFull
    SF Bay~
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast